How do you feel about your height?

Options

Replies

• michaelogle71
    michaelogle71 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    SurfyPants wrote: »
    I hate being short! I’ve fallen off so many counters trying to reach things!

:D

Lol...thats hilarious
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I can never have this discussion without thinking this...

https://youtu.be/ryDOy3AosBw

The 80's ruined me.

That song was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread as well.

I am 5'2.75"...and you can bet those digits after the decimal point matter. If asked, I usually say I am a little under 5'3"...rounding up would feel like cheating.

I don't mind being petite...except when I need to reach things on high shelves. But I am pretty adept at climbing up on counters. I guess having the ability to climb is a reason to stay fit and limber...plus weight-bearing exercise might help stave off osteoporosis. Don't want to shrink if I can help it, and being short and small-framed I have watched all the women in my family get shorter as they've aged.

Clothes shopping would be easier if I were taller. While several of my favorite brands do carry petite sizes, a few more inches of height would afford me so many other options. Sure I can get things tailored and hemmed, but it would be nice to have things fir perfectly off the rack. And taller women generally do wear clothes better. There's a reason fashion models are tall and skinny. At (not quite) 5'3" and a size 0 (or 00, thanks to vanity sizing), I will still look dumpy next to a model who is 5'10", even if she is a size or two larger.

Can I mention that there are some machines at the gym that are awkward at my height...even when I make the necessary adjustments. And there are yoga poses I find more difficult because as flexible as I am, and with decent core strength, my humerus just isn't long enough to create a platform for my knees to hold side crow. All the ladies in my bootcamp class are at least four inches taller than I am (I swear, it's like a group of beautiful Amazons settled in my neighborhood)...so when we are doing walking lunges across the field, it takes me several more steps to get from one end to the other.

I don't meet the minimum height requirement to be a Rockette at Radio City.

Even in my late 40s I still get called "cute." Back in my younger, single, days guys would try to pick me up in bars...literally pick. me. up.

When I am playing tennis at the net, I do confess that I am slightly delusional and think I am 5'9". Sometimes I need to remind my partner to shout out "lay off shorty!" so I don't try to take down a lob that is clearly over my head.

Of course, like a compact car, I am also fuel efficient. So I can't eat as much as my bigger, taller friends.

But being small does have advantages. My shoe size (6) is almost always the floor sample, so I can try on what I like without having to deal with sales associates. I can hide in small spaces. Being "fuel efficient" I am also more famine resistant. I never have to watch out so I don't bang my head on low doorways, rafters, or ceiling fans. Most men are taller than I am (aside from jockeys). And my basketball skills never fail to surprise. Swoosh. Nothing but net. :)
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Damn. I wrote a novel. ^^^

I guess my feelings about my height were stronger than I'd realized.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »

lol. Sometimes it comes out, eh? My wife is your height and she has talked about a lot of what you mention.
  • michaelogle71
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »

Lol...good read tho
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I’m 5’10”. I always hated being tall. I wanted to be “short and cute” like girls are supposed to be and I hated being taller than guys. When dating I was always very self conscious and wouldn’t consider dating a guy that was shorter than me. Now that I’m an adult... i don’t really care. It doesn’t cause me any problems. My husband is 6’5” so I guess I just don’t notice it as much now.

Although I did just get back from vacation in Mexico and my tallness was very obvious down there lol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Now I suppose being tall has its perks... I get quite a lot more calories than short people do lol
  • michaelogle71
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Now I suppose being tall has its perks... I get quite a lot more calories than short people do lol

Yes and we dont have to kneel down to kiss...wink
  • juliedesabrais
    juliedesabrais Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I’m almost 5’2 and love and hate my height at the same time. I love manly guys, and feeling like a cute little princess
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

This is a good point. Thank goodness for exercise and being able to eat more.

I am good with my short stature, my legs were strong enough to PR a squat goal today. I might be able to out run someone chasing me too. All is good.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I’m almost 5’2 and love and hate my height at the same time. I love manly guys, and feeling like a cute little princess

Perfect height for a pretty lady like you.
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and am relatively happy with my height. I've never had any issues with reaching stuff oddly enough, but I also wear heels now and then - not often, as I prefer my Nike's any day of the week. I wouldn't change it.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My height is okay, until I try walking around the corridors at work and repeatedly bang my head on low lying beams!

Yeah, there’s pros and cons to being tall!
  • michaelogle71
    Options
    I'm 4'11. I used to hate my height as I couldn't further my modeling career as I had hoped, but now I quite enjoy it. There are perks to seeing everything down here. I'm usually the smallest person in the room though. My 10 year old niece is taller than me.

Well I like your height.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11. I used to hate my height as I couldn't further my modeling career as I had hoped, but now I quite enjoy it. There are perks to seeing everything down here. I'm usually the smallest person in the room though. My 10 year old niece is taller than me.

Interesting, I’ve always envisioned you as being tall.

Same.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    -Would you rather be the same height you are now, taller or shorter? why?
    -Has your height ever given you negative feelings?

I felt like I wasn't feminine or cute because I was too tall for a woman... I am 5'8. I felt like men didn't notice me because I was too tall and they wanted a cute, little girlfriend they could protect, yet, I wasn't tall enough to be considered glamorous or super model material... like technically, they take girls starting my height, but they would have to be super gorgeous. I guess with the height thing, its hard to find guys that will date women that are as tall, or taller than them. I have had at least 2 shorter guys who seemed to fancy me though (long, long time ago). Just felt like I physically took up too much space. A little while ago, I realised I will always take up about the same amount of physical room, because if I stretch out my arms, and spin, I will occupy about the same amount of space. Okay, so I'm weird, haha.

I hate my height. HATE IT. I'm 5'11" and have always wanted to be petite to average height. It's so pretty and elegant and decidedly not awkward -looking. When you are a tall woman you have to try extra hard to look approachable and non-threatening. If you are tall and have even the tiniest hint of "resting *kitten* face " people think you're about to go on a rampage.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I wish a was a little bit taller. I wish I was a baller.
  • AlainaKayy
    AlainaKayy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10, I've had moments where I wish I was taller, and moments when i wish I was shorter. I get people asking me to get things for them off the top shelf at the grocery store and I've also had to look way up at someone to talk to them. so kind of both?

The negative thing was finding pants when I was a kid because my legs were so long. Nowadays I don't really have that problem.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 3 and a half. I wish I was either 2 inches taller or 2 inches shorter. Either would be fine. I am a little tall for petite pants and I am too short for regular length pants. I either look like I am expecting flood waters or my pant legs are filthy from the dirt I have dragged them through. Hemming sucks!