Would eating only nuts, seeds, egg whites, fruits, and vegetables be healthy?

Options
13»

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    I'd include legumes in there and maybe some fruit. Legumes for protein, fruit for carbs and sugar.

Maybe some oils/fats/avocados to round out your diet, too.

and whole eggs instead of just egg whites...most of the nutrition in an egg is in the yolk...

Frankly, I'd be bored out of my gored...

I would too and I would fail miserably :neutral: also it sounds like much harder work to only eat a few items and try to stick with that all day every day.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Would you be willing to take a couple of specific vitamins/supplements to address potential deficiencies?

Yes, which supplements?

Dunno, sorry. I'm not well versed in your diet, so I'm not sure what nutrients you are most apt to be short in (I eat almost the exact opposite of what you are proposing). I'd log foods for a week or 2, then do some reporting on vitamins/nutrients to see how you're doing... then supplement as needed.

If I'm not mistaken, aside from the egg whites, your proposed diet is very vegetarian-ish. You could probably talk to a few vegetarians and see what nutrients they struggle to get enough of, and use that as a basis for what you do or don't supplement.

I am a vegetarian, lol. Egg whites are okay for vegetarians to eat. Usually the main concerns nutritionally for vegetarians are iron and vitamin B12. I have never been deficient in iron, and I already take a B12 supplement. Iron absorption can be increased with vitamin C, too, so I will be eating nuts with fruit to hopefully keep my iron levels in a healthy range.

I'm also a vegetarian; my opinions about it being more difficult to get adequate nutrition on a more restrictive diet come from personal experience.

Vegetarians do need to look out for things like iron and the B vitamins. We also need to keep an eye on things like protein and calcium. Your diet as outlined excludes a lot of the most common vegetarian sources of protein, including the whole dairy family, tofu, tempeh, seitan, possibly beans and legumes (not sure if you're including those in "vegetables," but I typically think of them separately), and higher-protein grains. I'm not saying that you HAVE to incorporate those foods to have a well-balanced vegetarian diet, but I wouldn't personally automatically exclude them either.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    DumbledoresPhoenix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Would you be willing to take a couple of specific vitamins/supplements to address potential deficiencies?

Yes, which supplements?

Dunno, sorry. I'm not well versed in your diet, so I'm not sure what nutrients you are most apt to be short in (I eat almost the exact opposite of what you are proposing). I'd log foods for a week or 2, then do some reporting on vitamins/nutrients to see how you're doing... then supplement as needed.

If I'm not mistaken, aside from the egg whites, your proposed diet is very vegetarian-ish. You could probably talk to a few vegetarians and see what nutrients they struggle to get enough of, and use that as a basis for what you do or don't supplement.

I am a vegetarian, lol. Egg whites are okay for vegetarians to eat. Usually the main concerns nutritionally for vegetarians are iron and vitamin B12. I have never been deficient in iron, and I already take a B12 supplement. Iron absorption can be increased with vitamin C, too, so I will be eating nuts with fruit to hopefully keep my iron levels in a healthy range.

I'm also a vegetarian; my opinions about it being more difficult to get adequate nutrition on a more restrictive diet come from personal experience.

Vegetarians do need to look out for things like iron and the B vitamins. We also need to keep an eye on things like protein and calcium. Your diet as outlined excludes a lot of the most common vegetarian sources of protein, including the whole dairy family, tofu, tempeh, seitan, possibly beans and legumes (not sure if you're including those in "vegetables," but I typically think of them separately), and higher-protein grains. I'm not saying that you HAVE to incorporate those foods to have a well-balanced vegetarian diet, but I wouldn't personally automatically exclude them either.

I should be able to get enough protein. I am thinking I might not get enough calcium, though. I might need to eat a little bit of cheese. The reason I don't have the foods you listed are because of I have sensitivities to them all, including diary, so I hope I can avoid cheese. After a few days of eating like this, I will see what Cronometer and MFP say, and tweak it if needed, like maybe add a gluten-free, fortified cereal or something.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Toxikon, the micronutrients is what I am worried about the most. I think I can get a good balance of macronutrients, but I am worried I might be missing an important vitamin or mineral.

I also think that would be a concern. I'd talk to a registered dietitian or at least log on Cronometer for a while, as that's a better way to see how you are doing on micros.

Why not eat the whole egg, at least?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    nevermind... it's not worth the fight.
  • CrystalxDee
    CrystalxDee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree that you could be missing out on some necessary micronutrients. A great way to find out what you would be missing is to track it in the super tracker tool that is provided by the USDA. The only reason why I recommend that one over my fitness pal in this case is that you are able to see if you are consuming an adequate amount of vitamins and minerals. And if you are lacking, you can see what improvements you need to make. Just a thought - good luck :)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Yes, which supplements?

I should be able to get enough protein. I am thinking I might not get enough calcium, though. I might need to eat a little bit of cheese. The reason I don't have the foods you listed are because of I have sensitivities to them all, including diary, so I hope I can avoid cheese. After a few days of eating like this, I will see what Cronometer and MFP say, and tweak it if needed, like maybe add a gluten-free, fortified cereal or something.

Are you sensitive to, in particular, Greek yogurt? If not, that would kill three birds with one stone: protein, fat and calcium. A lot of people with dairy sensitivities can tolerate it better because it is already kind of pre-digested, LOL.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So basically vegetarian, without grains and dairy? If vegetables, also includes starchy root vegetables, and beans/legumes, then I don't see a problem. You might get bored with it. Rice and quinoa are pretty easy to cook, and would go great with vegetables. Any reasons for excluding those?
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    DumbledoresPhoenix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    So basically vegetarian, without grains and dairy? If vegetables, also includes starchy root vegetables, and beans/legumes, then I don't see a problem. You might get bored with it. Rice and quinoa are pretty easy to cook, and would go great with vegetables. Any reasons for excluding those?

I didn't list rice and quinoa due to laziness. However, I have a rice cooker, so it's not that hard to make. I could include rice. Maybe quinoa sometimes (not a huge fan of quinoa taste-wise). Would brown rice give me something I am missing from the other foods?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I didn't list rice and quinoa due to laziness. However, I have a rice cooker, so it's not that hard to make. I could include rice. Maybe quinoa sometimes (not a huge fan of quinoa taste-wise). Would brown rice give me something I am missing from the other foods?

Depending on what vegetables you're including in your diet (not sure how much variety you're planning on eating), brown rice (or other grains) could be useful sources of B vitamins.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

quinoa doesn't have a ton of flavor (at least not the few times I've had it), so it would be easy to mix in with veggies. Lentils are probably similar, but have a bit more substance to them, so maybe better in a soup.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    See title. And I am not referring to weight loss, just being healthy. Would that be enough nutrients?

I am tired of worrying about what to cook and what to eat, and nuts, seeds, egg whites, fruits, and vegetables are easy to make and good foods to eat. I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be missing something nutritionally important. I would be eating a variety of each (excluding egg whites obviously).

And since I know someone is going to ask why egg whites and not the whole egg, regular eggs make me sick. I can tolerate egg whites fine, though.

Thanks in advance!

You are missing oils and not sure if you can consume dairy but that's good in moderation.

How is a diet that includes nuts and seeds "missing oils"?
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    years ago, my diet was fruits, vegetables, lean protein- veg burgers, PB, chicken... the only processed food I ate was dressings to make my veggi's more appetizing and milk/soy milk. I lost 20 # and felt great
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It honestly sounds healthier than my diet.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Toxikon, the micronutrients is what I am worried about the most. I think I can get a good balance of macronutrients, but I am worried I might be missing an important vitamin or mineral.

Like Calcium seems low. Dairy is great for calcium. But you can get it from canned bone in salmon.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Soy and almond milk are also good sources of calcium.