Options
13»

Replies

• maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Check this site out:

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

You can put in your height and various weights and see how different women look at different weights. It's interesting how different people carry weight. It won't tell you exactly what you'll look like when you lose it all, but it kind of gives you an idea. It's good for those of us who don't remember being a healthy weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You know, reading through this thread, I suspect that a lot of people are looking at inaccurate BMI scales and many of them might actually BE at a healthy BMI and not realize it, like the woman above who thinks 140 is considered overweight BMI for 5'3". It isn't. It's the healthy range, though the high end of it.

So if you think the healthy range for BMI is 10 or 20 pounds below what it actually IS, you may think you can't get to a healthy BMI even though you're already there, in actuality.
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    If it helps you at all I'm considered obese by my bmi.

Fatty.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Don't have a picture handy, but at my highest weight I was 5'5.5" and 150 lbs. That's right on the edge of being overweight, but I was technically still "normal." The issue was that my body fat % put me well into the "obese" category. I looked awful and felt extremely uncomfortable in my skin. A lot of women my height wouldn't have that issue at that weight because of more muscle mass and a different fat distribution. BMI really is not a good indicator of what you'll look like/if you're healthy at a certain weight, especially at the extreme ends.

ETA that if you really want to see a lot of photos, figure out the weight and height for the BMI you're interested in and search mybodygallery.com.

thanks for this^^ I just spent a few minutes looking at mybodygallery.com going from my current weight to goal and it's really opened my eyes...I haven't been at goal since I got married 18yrs ago! feeling motivated :D
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options

I am HORRIFIED at this obese example of man flesh. You should go diet and work out or something. Clearly, you are lazy and have NO self discipline. You should be ashamed to show yourself in public and you should make sure to cover up ALL of that horrendous flesh...it is offensive. Especially with tattoos.

(please send junk pics...j/k....please send FR....junk pic optional. No really, no junk pics.... ;) )
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

Me too sexy! BMI is a joke!
    <-- obese I think not!
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Obese or overweight?
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I agree BMI is not a good way to compare or figure progress. I am 5'5

febtojulyside-Copy_zpsc5d34bcc.jpg?t=1373635594

First pic 207 lbs - BMI of 34.4
    Second pic - 180.2 BMI 30

Pics are from February to June 2nd

I go by measurements - scale and number one tool...PICTURES ;)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    20127619_2174.jpg

5'8.75"
    ~160lbs
    BMI: 24
    Body fat percentage: 23-25% (guess)
  • aliciaje
    aliciaje Posts: 83
    Options
    <--- BMI of 27.6 but body fat of 23.4% measured by bodypod
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    BMI is a lie. I'm fat. I want some of that fat to be replaced with more muscle.

Just keep looking forward. Keep moving, do some kind of weight lifting if you can, and for goodness sake....make sure you are eating enough calories. None of this 1200 calorie crap. Ya, I just went there. *wink*
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 also. I'm 155 lbs. Profile picture is my most recent one. I'm 5 lbs overweight still according to BMI. But i'm right in the middle of healthy on body fat charts.

meluke_zps2e81e759.jpg
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Anyone else? These are helpful to those of us who carry more muscle and still considered overweight :/
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Anyone else? These are helpful to those of us who carry more muscle and still considered overweight :/

I don't have photos, but I can tell you my hubby was considered obese on the BMI chart when he was in the Marines. He had to have the water body fat test to prove he wasn't....he had 11% body fat.
  • nicoledj27
    nicoledj27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm between 5'5" and 5'6". I was in the Navy, and had a very physically demanding job, plus I ran every day before work. I was 160lbs and considered "overweight" and was over my weight limit whenever I had to do weigh ins. Usually the people weighing and recording would look at me and laugh because I was the same size as another girl I worked with who was 5'7" and 130lbs (we were roommates and shared clothes.. size medium shirts and size 7 pants). It was really frustrating during my pregnancy because the doctors and midwives would only look at my weight and not what I actually looked like. I was told only to gain 10-15lbs because I was "overweight" and were appalled when I gained the normal amount of weight for a pregnant woman. By the time I had the baby, I was considered obese and was very depressing for me. At my highest weight I was in between sizes 16-18. I'm currently 190lbs and size 12, BMI 30.7 (obese). So is size 12 obese now?? I know I'm overweight and still have 30lbs to lose before I'm back to my prepregnancy weight, and hopefully prepregnancy size. If I figure out how to add pictures I will add some.
  • nicoledj27
    nicoledj27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would also like to add, I got sick when I was about 20 and lost a ton of weight. I was down to 120lbs (BMI 19.4.. "normal") and in a size 3 or 5 pants.. Everyone I knew was asking if I was anorexic, and if I was eating right because I was skin and bones. Anything below 130lbs for me would make me look sickly. Even between 130-140, I was told I looked "too thin." So I think for me, a "normal" weight would be between 140-160lbs, and according to BMI, I'd be overweight, or the very high end of "normal"
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and after losing the weight I wanted, I'm am between 120 and 125. (I have a really small frame). That puts me a little lower than the middle of "healthy" or "normal" or whatever they call it. I think I hit the high end of healthy when I dropped down into the high 130s. Or maybe the low 140s. And you're an inch taller so you probably are looking more like the high 140s to be in the healthy range. Maybe even 150.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'3" , small framed, 124 lbs. , and a size 2 in my profile pic. According to BMI, I'm at 22, or right in the middle of the healthy BMI range. I'd say that's pretty accurate.