Hip thrust question

Options
I set up on using a bench and Smith machine but I mostly see bench and bb on fitness videos. Are there benefits from one over the other?

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I usually don't like the Smith Machine but this is one exercise that is probably fine because it's a pretty limited range of motion. The BB will force you to engage stabilizers to assist the lift so have added benefit there, but for the primary movers, glutes and hamstrings, it's probably ok to do it either way. Try both and see what you like best.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There are only two bb's in my gym.. Not sure if it's worth the time to load it up and struggle to get under it. Maybe when gym is really slow I'll give it a try.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I set up on using a bench and Smith machine but I mostly see bench and bb on fitness videos. Are there benefits from one over the other?

you're going to have to stabilize a barbell, so it's going to work more ancillary muscles...with a smith machine you aren't really going to work any ancillary muscles. This is why in general people recommend the bulk of one's work in the weight room be done with free weights...I only use machines (usually cable) for accessory and strict isolation work.

For that particular work, I'd think you could do either as it's more of an isolation movement anyway...but you'd get some added benefit from using a BB.
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    Yeah I'd like to try on bb to see if I can lift the same weight I've worked up to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd like to try on bb to see if I can lift the same weight I've worked up to.

Likely not...people have this issue when they use the SM for squats and then go get in a rack...they usually have to do some deload because the ancillary muscles aren't used to being used...
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    Well now I have to try!! I def won't start with a fully loaded bar though!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I've never tried with the Smith machine, but would be interested in trying it as an accessory on my squat day.
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Doing hip thrusts with the Smith are fine.. especially if they are more convenient for you. The angles and setup can be a bit different, some people feel more emphasis on their hammies but as long as you are feeling it in the glutes and progressing I think there is nothing wrong with it. I know Bret Contreras uses it sometimes and he has said you can still have adequate benefit from it vs using the barbell.

I was watching a bunch of his videos on IG last night and saw him use mostly the BB with bench, but did notice him on the Smith toi. His gym is probably more set up for it though, but I'm gonna try it and see how it compares... Tomorrow... Unless the gym is packed.. but right now I am very 'comfortable' with Smith hip thrusting, as comfortable as that can be anyway!
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    I've never tried with the Smith machine, but would be interested in trying it as an accessory on my squat day.

I've seen a couple in my gym use a ball for back support..I tried that at first but much prefer the stability of the bench.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Doing hip thrusts with the Smith are fine.. especially if they are more convenient for you. The angles and setup can be a bit different, some people feel more emphasis on their hammies but as long as you are feeling it in the glutes and progressing I think there is nothing wrong with it. I know Bret Contreras uses it sometimes and he has said you can still have adequate benefit from it vs using the barbell.

I was watching a bunch of his videos on IG last night and saw him use mostly the BB with bench, but did notice him on the Smith toi. His gym is probably more set up for it though, but I'm gonna try it and see how it compares... Tomorrow... Unless the gym is packed.. but right now I am very 'comfortable' with Smith hip thrusting, as comfortable as that can be anyway!

Yea I was reading the comments and he did not indicate anything negative about using the Smith for thrusting. I know Sohee Lee uses it as well. But give the BB a try on those non-packed days and see how they feel. I am a big fan of trying everything and hitting the glutes from all angles.
  • flowerhorsey
    Options

Yea I was reading the comments and he did not indicate anything negative about using the Smith for thrusting. I know Sohee Lee uses it as well. But give the BB a try on those non-packed days and see how they feel. I am a big fan of trying everything and hitting the glutes from all angles.

Me too! I am obsessed!! I want to try glute Bridges with bb too so this will be happening.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Me too! I am obsessed!! I want to try glute Bridges with bb too so this will be happening.

Does your gym have a mini one? I find they work best for bridges. I don't have access to a Smith but I have tried so many different variations of hip thrusts and bridges... Barbell, dumbbell, plates, banded (on legs and across the body), with one of my kids on my lap (hehe), even standing thrusts with two sides of a cable machine. Have fun!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I've seen a couple in my gym use a ball for back support..I tried that at first but much prefer the stability of the bench.

People tend to misuse that whole balance/core engagement idea. I wouldn't do weights on something meant for balance and core training, it can be dangerous.
  • sardelsa
    Options

The half ball (Bosu) is good for neck support for bridges and frog pumps I use it sometimes but most of the time I'm lazy and I just tuck my chin
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It looks like this question has been answered adequately but I would like to add my 2 cents anyway. I agree with other members, and typically shy away from the smith machine, with the exception of hip thrusts. When performing a double leg hip thrust I prefer the smith machine over BB primarily because it saves a lot of time in set up and take down and my gym time is limited. There is also very little motion that occurs outside of the sigittal plane regardless of the equipment being used so I would not be surprised if the weights are very similar assuming you have relatively strong posterior and lateral hip musculature. This does not hold true for single leg hip thrusts (use BB) however, which i find particularly beneficial for developing glute mass. You can also try different foot/knee positions when performing double leg thrusts. Feet and knees together will activate more of the glute-med which is often underdeveloped, particularly in females, and has been linked to a host of lower extremity injuries. If you are have trouble keeping your knees in try using a small band to keep them from spreading to far apart.

Keep training hard,

Sci
  • flowerhorsey
    Options

Does your gym have a mini one? I find they work best for bridges. I don't have access to a Smith but I have tried so many different variations of hip thrusts and bridges... Barbell, dumbbell, plates, banded (on legs and across the body), with one of my kids on my lap (hehe), even standing thrusts with two sides of a cable machine. Have fun!!

Do you mean like ez bars? If so, yes. I really will have to do this in an empty gym though.. or wear a hat so I don't see if ppl are looking.. Or something.. I did catch ppl staring when I did hip thrust with ez bar B4 I began using Smith. It sounds like you have a lot of fun working out!!
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    Fitwithsci wrote: »
    It looks like this question has been answered adequately but I would like to add my 2 cents anyway. I agree with other members, and typically shy away from the smith machine, with the exception of hip thrusts. When performing a double leg hip thrust I prefer the smith machine over BB primarily because it saves a lot of time in set up and take down and my gym time is limited. There is also very little motion that occurs outside of the sigittal plane regardless of the equipment being used so I would not be surprised if the weights are very similar assuming you have relatively strong posterior and lateral hip musculature. This does not hold true for single leg hip thrusts (use BB) however, which i find particularly beneficial for developing glute mass. You can also try different foot/knee positions when performing double leg thrusts. Feet and knees together will activate more of the glute-med which is often underdeveloped, particularly in females, and has been linked to a host of lower extremity injuries. If you are have trouble keeping your knees in try using a small band to keep them from spreading to far apart.

Keep training hard,

Sci

Thanks I appreciate this. I do have a difficult time with single leg on Smith.
  • flowerhorsey
    Options

The half ball (Bosu) is good for neck support for bridges and frog pumps I use it sometimes but most of the time I'm lazy and I just tuck my chin

I saw on Contreras ig he had a client do that work bosu ball with from pumps and wondered why... So it's to make sure chin is tucked?
  • sardelsa
    Options

Do you mean like ez bars? If so, yes. I really will have to do this in an empty gym though.. or wear a hat so I don't see if ppl are looking.. Or something.. I did catch ppl staring when I did hip thrust with ez bar B4 I began using Smith. It sounds like you have a lot of fun working out!!

The EZ bar has the dip so it could be uncomfortable unless you have a pad that fits, I have a mini barbell same size as an EZ bar but straight.