Hip thrust question

2»

Replies

• flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    I've never tried with the Smith machine, but would be interested in trying it as an accessory on my squat day.

I've seen a couple in my gym use a ball for back support..I tried that at first but much prefer the stability of the bench.

People tend to misuse that whole balance/core engagement idea. I wouldn't do weights on something meant for balance and core training, it can be dangerous.

I know I didn't like how it felt.. And that was before I had worked up to any substantial weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I've never tried with the Smith machine, but would be interested in trying it as an accessory on my squat day.

I've seen a couple in my gym use a ball for back support..I tried that at first but much prefer the stability of the bench.

The half ball (Bosu) is good for neck support for bridges and frog pumps I use it sometimes but most of the time I'm lazy and I just tuck my chin

I saw on Contreras ig he had a client do that work bosu ball with from pumps and wondered why... So it's to make sure chin is tucked?

Yup and prevents overarching the back.. supposed to help engage more glutes
  • bijalp414
    bijalp414 Posts: 1 Member
    i LOVE using the bench and smith machine for hip thrusts. It lets me increase weight without struggling to get it onto my hips. With the smith machine, I put my back onto the bench and already have my hips right below the bar ready to begin. But with the barbell, I can barely get my back onto the bench and prepare to get the weight onto my hips. I'm 5'2 107lbs and I put on 140lbs onto the smith machine, but WAYYY less with just barbell because i can't position myself with higher weight. i also agree with a post above that smith machine helps focus on sagittal plane motion... while BB you would have to work extra to keep the bar level. Hope that helped!! Happy glute building!!!
  • flowerhorsey
    bijalp414 wrote: »
    i LOVE using the bench and smith machine for hip thrusts. It lets me increase weight without struggling to get it onto my hips. With the smith machine, I put my back onto the bench and already have my hips right below the bar ready to begin. But with the barbell, I can barely get my back onto the bench and prepare to get the weight onto my hips. I'm 5'2 107lbs and I put on 140lbs onto the smith machine, but WAYYY less with just barbell because i can't position myself with higher weight. i also agree with a post above that smith machine helps focus on sagittal plane motion... while BB you would have to work extra to keep the bar level. Hope that helped!! Happy glute building!!!

I appreciate it. I decided I'm just gonna keep using the Smith for hip thrusts..I love it and why change when it's working? But I did do single leg hip thrusts off a bench with db's and that was good.
  • aklrn
    aklrn Posts: 20 Member
    I just started doing weighted hip thrusts, my legs are all bruised from figuring out how to position the bb lol! They have a pad at my gym so I'm good to go now.

I've seen another girl use the smith machine also.
  • flowerhorsey
    aklrn wrote: »
    I just started doing weighted hip thrusts, my legs are all bruised from figuring out how to position the bb lol! They have a pad at my gym so I'm good to go now.

I must be very wishy washy. I was going to try them with the bb but decided to just stick with the Smith for now..I found a way to double pad the bar at the gym and Friday made a new personal record of 305lbs! I've been progressing but I swear that double padding on the bar makes a huge difference!!
  • its_me_april
    its_me_april Posts: 57 Member
    I use pre-loaded barbells because my gym doesn’t have an easy way to use bench + barbell and weight plates (I’d have to carry everything from one room to the next, it just seems like a big hassle) I use the heaviest straight preloaded barbell (65 pounds) and do high reps (I usually do 30) superset w glute bridges (again high reps, 30+) maybe one day I’ll attempt w a BB / weights but this is the most convenient way and works well for me for now
  • aklrn

I must be very wishy washy. I was going to try them with the bb but decided to just stick with the Smith for now..I found a way to double pad the bar at the gym and Friday made a new personal record of 305lbs! I've been progressing but I swear that double padding on the bar makes a huge difference!!

Amazing!!
    I hope to progress quickly...just started the weighted thrusts and did 40 lbs lol!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

Amazing!!
    I hope to progress quickly...just started the weighted thrusts and did 40 lbs lol!

You should be able to progress quickly on this exercise if you push yourself. You are using some very powerful muscles in a limited range of motion. That's always a good combination for heavy lifts. The only thing that holds a lot of people back tends to be the pressure of the bar. You can use a pad or position it to alleviate most of the issues but in the end you will have to deal with some discomfort.
  • flowerhorsey

Amazing!!

Thank you!!!! You will progress too! I started off with just twenty five pound plates on the fifteen lb Smith bar less than a year ago... believe me padding makes all the difference.... And correct form before adding more weight is very important:) have fun!!
  • flowerhorsey
    I use pre-loaded barbells because my gym doesn’t have an easy way to use bench + barbell and weight plates (I’d have to carry everything from one room to the next, it just seems like a big hassle) I use the heaviest straight preloaded barbell (65 pounds) and do high reps (I usually do 30) superset w glute bridges (again high reps, 30+) maybe one day I’ll attempt w a BB / weights but this is the most convenient way and works well for me for now

Have you ever dragged a bench over to the Smith machine and positioned it to hip thrust? .. If your gym has one you may want to try it!
  • aklrn
    Thanks @flowerhorsey and @Wheelhouse15 !
    I think I have technique down (so many videos now actual trial!) So I'll try to push myself on the weight without sacrificing form.
    So excited!
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Generally I don't like the Smith Machine but it's usually in-relation to more compounds lifts like the Squat or Bench Press. With the Hip Thrust though, I think you really need to focus on squeezing and feeling the muscle through the range of motion. So having some stability from the uprights of the Smith, it'll help you better focus on doing just that. What you could always do, is do it with the Smith for 6-weeks and then use a bar for 6-weeks and switch back and forth.
  • If everything is tied up you can always do dumbbell single leg versions
  • its_me_april
    its_me_april Posts: 57 Member

Have you ever dragged a bench over to the Smith machine and positioned it to hip thrust? .. If your gym has one you may want to try it!

I haven’t tried it, partly because our gym doesn’t have a smith machine per se...it’s more like a permanently fixed barbell on a rack with no assist. It could work, but the rack is also positioned in front of a large mirror where all the “bros” lift, so essentially I’d be giving everyone a free show lol...maybe I’ll try it when the gyms more empty!
  • aklrn

I haven’t tried it, partly because our gym doesn’t have a smith machine per se...it’s more like a permanently fixed barbell on a rack with no assist. It could work, but the rack is also positioned in front of a large mirror where all the “bros” lift, so essentially I’d be giving everyone a free show lol...maybe I’ll try it when the gyms more empty!

A free show lol!
    I was doing my weighted hip thrusts where the bros work out the other day and one was looking at me. I just think he had no idea wtf I was doing! Lol!