Where is my Coon cheese?

Options

Replies

• gainwait
    gainwait Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    I googled Coon Cheese. It's a type of cheddar cheese. So you can always check in other cheddar cheese and find one with similar fat content to use to aproximate to coon cheese.

Yes I might just use Bega instead :smile:
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Coon cheese, Bega and Toe Jam, any other unique Australian cheese names? I assumed Coon cheese must be either some reference to the inventor or the masked night bandits making away with it, but I have no idea on Bega, and Toe Jam sounds the worst of them all...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Coon cheese, Bega and Toe Jam, any other unique Australian cheese names? I assumed Coon cheese must be either some reference to the inventor or the masked night bandits making away with it, but I have no idea on Bega, and Toe Jam sounds the worst of them all...

Bega exists, Toe Jam is a joke.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    My first thought......it was cheese made from the milk of lactating racoons.

That’s what I thought, lol! I asked my husband how hard he thought it would be to milk a raccoon.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    gainwait wrote: »
    When I type Coon in the food database it gives me two types of chocolate coons (whatever they are) to choose from but when I type in Coon cheese it gives me all the other brands of cheese but Coon.

It's just a typo: coon = coin. Coon cheese isn't in the database - I suspect the user who said someone edited it is right. Which is idiotic, it's a guy's name for God's sake.

Here's a site with the nutritional info for their products. Calories for a gram of the block cheese should be the same as the slices, I would think, and you could always read the labels at your supermarket:

https://www.fatsecret.com.au/calories-nutrition/search?q=Coon+Cheese
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly shocked. Would definitely not still exist if it was ever a thing in the UK.
    I haven't heard that word used for anything else but cheese here in Australia.

I have spent a fair bit of time in the far north of Australia and it is a common racial slur up there amongst those inclined to not behave like decent human beings.

I really like the cheese but I don't expect people to "just get over it" like suggested by another poster, if you heard it used like I have towards people I can understand why those on the receiving end feel like they do.

To the OP, you might have to make your own entry from the packet and just not share it with the database?
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I live in the American South. The only context in which I've heard the word in a decade or two has been "coon dog" or "coon hound" or "coon hunting." Those references are common.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    zorbaru wrote: »
    i have heard it used in that way but how would you feel if you worked on something and was recognised for it by having it banged after you then one day someone says "I'm sorry your name has another meaning that some people use offensively so we aren't going to use it any more"

many words have multiple meaning. people aren't stupid. they know the difference between being insulted and someone looking for cheese.

political correctness is not a good thing when it goes so overboard. should all the people that have that name go down to births deaths and marriages to have it changed?

Honestly? If it were my name and my brand, I'd be totally cool with it being changed.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I'm not googling what is, apparently, some kind of derogatory remark, but I've only heard coon used as a diminutive for raccoon. As in, Daniel Boone wore a coon skin cap.

It's up there with the N word.

I had to ask someone what the n word was not long ago.
  • gainwait
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm honestly shocked. Would definitely not still exist if it was ever a thing in the UK.
    I haven't heard that word used for anything else but cheese here in Australia.

I have spent a fair bit of time in the far north of Australia and it is a common racial slur up there amongst those inclined to not behave like decent human beings.

I really like the cheese but I don't expect people to "just get over it" like suggested by another poster, if you heard it used like I have towards people I can understand why those on the receiving end feel like they do.

To the OP, you might have to make your own entry from the packet and just not share it with the database?

Yeah I just used Bega cheese instead. I did try and add the Coon cheese back into the main database and it accepted it but I looked it up a minute later and I could not find it. No big deal but I thought it was a bit odd that only a few months ago it showed up but not now. I live in Sydney so I have not heard that word said in any other form around me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The thing is, MFP doesn't curate the database really, they just host it. Chances are some user edited the entry. Regardless all you have to do is add it back in. Maybe call it "Coon brand cheese" so someone unfamiliar with it doesn't think it's someone being a jerk.

ETA: Based on your most recent post, maybe certain words are flagged and auto-deleted? Could try a hyphenated like Coon-brand-cheese or something like that.
  • gainwait
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The thing is, MFP doesn't curate the database really, they just host it. Chances are some user edited the entry. Regardless all you have to do is add it back in. Maybe call it "Coon brand cheese" so someone unfamiliar with it doesn't think it's someone being a jerk.

ETA: Based on your most recent post, maybe certain words are flagged and auto-deleted? Could try a hyphenated like Coon-brand-cheese or something like that.

Yes I would say certain words are flagged as I did what you said and added coon-brand cheese as the name to the database and while it let me add it to my food diary under that name I could not find it in the main food database so that is what it looks like they are doing. No user could find and edit the name in under 10 seconds which is how long it took me to add it to the database and then search for it so I would rule out another user editing it. All good.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Every time I add a food in the main database I can't find it there till the next day or so. Can only find it in my own foods initially.

Then again I also don't see the wall activity of newer friends...
  • kristalmfp
    kristalmfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've started using the barcode scanner to enter foods, it's amazing!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    zorbaru wrote: »
    i have heard it used in that way but how would you feel if you worked on something and was recognised for it by having it banged after you then one day someone says "I'm sorry your name has another meaning that some people use offensively so we aren't going to use it any more"

many words have multiple meaning. people aren't stupid. they know the difference between being insulted and someone looking for cheese.

political correctness is not a good thing when it goes so overboard. should all the people that have that name go down to births deaths and marriages to have it changed?

Honestly? If it were my name and my brand, I'd be totally cool with it being changed.

My high school maths teacher, Mike Hunt, never felt the need to change his name. (yup, I'm serious, lol)