Sattvic Way of Eating

Options
What Is The Best Time To Eat?

—Ayurveda says that in our manipuraka region (navel region) we have what is known as digestive fire (jatara agni). This jatara agni is closely related to the sun. When the sun is out, it means your digestion is functioning at its optimum. Always aim to eat your meals between sunrise and sunset (not before or after). Eat light, sattvic and pure foods for breakfast – fresh squeezed juice, fresh fruit etc. —Our jatara agni is at is strongest when the sun is at its highest in the sky (at approximately 1pm). It is best to eat our largest meal during 12pm and 2pm. The evening meal should again be light and best eaten before the sun goes down for the day.

How To Eat?

Devote at least half and hour to eat and digest each meal. Remember that one fourth of your food is taken through the eye (sense of seeing) so serve your dish on a beautiful plate - you are worth your best cutlery! It is also a nice practice to set the table you are eating at decoratively. Play some beautiful, calming music while you eat your meals.

Gratitude:
—Say a small prayer before eating your food. It doesn’t have to be too elaborate, simply just say a small thank you for the food that you have and that is about to become part of your body.

Fragrance of the food:
—Bring your face toward the food and inhale the fragrance of the food. Enjoy the different aromas of the food. Allow this sense to be filled.

Touch the food:
—Touch the food with both hands and all fingers, feel the textures. All five fingers have minor chakras. Therefore, when we touch the food, we send a signal to our digestive system that you are about to ingest food.

Eating the food:
—Let the first morsel be a sacred act to yourself. —Chew the food 32 times – or until food is pulp in the mouth. We do this for two reasons. The first is, when you chew the food slowly, your system has time to understand that enough food has been eaten. You won't overeat when you chew the food slowly. The second reason is, when you chew the food well, the digestive process begins in the mouth itself where the enzymes in the saliva can start to breakdown the food. When the food reaches your stomach, it does not have to work so hard to breakdown all the food. Breaking down food in the stomach takes more energy than running around your street block. That is why we feel very tired after a meal. Have positivity when you are eating and digesting your food.

Leave some room:
—You should only fill three quarters of your stomach. Leave the final quarter for some water and air. Small sips of warm water can be taken during meal. Never drink cold drinks during a meal as they can weaken your digestive fire. Leave a complete half an hour after your meal, than you can drink a full glass of warm water if it is required. —One can sip water throughout the day. It greases the system and breaks down what is known as ama which is residue of your digestion.

Sit in vajrasana to help digestion:
—Sit in the vajrasana position (sitting on your heels, knees and feet together) for 3-5 minutes after a meal. This position can help the food to digest as a lot of blood will be bought to that area. It helps to remove gas and prevent bloating. The posture will help you to feel light and energized after the meal. Never lay down or sleep after a meal. Sleeping after a meal is a 100% guaranteed way to put on weight.

Foods to be avoided in sattvic eating:
processed and refined foods, —canned foods, frozen foods, food with preservatives, artifical flavors, aromas and colors added, anything packaged

Foods to be encouraged in sattvic eating:
Lots of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables and other organic products.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When the sun is out, it means your digestion is functioning at its optimum.

Could you cite any scientific references to support this?
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    The people who developed this did not live in Northern Michigan. "You now have two hours to meet your daily allotment of calories before the sun goes down. Good luck."

That would be winter. In the summer, I'd be eating at 10pm and whistlin' Dixie.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for passing this along there was some great info ...
  • Kankalamalini
    Options
    When the sun is out, it means your digestion is functioning at its optimum.

Could you cite any scientific references to support this?

Absolutely. Every doctor can tell you about the circadian rhythm and natural biological clock of the body. Especially endocrinologists who know the chain of reactions that is caused by the hormones in our body when that rhythm is messed up.

If you want specific titles of books and scientific researches of the western medicine, then I am not the right person to answer that. I am not even interested in western medicine, I am only interested in Ayurveda and holistic approach to health.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I respect nature and I respect a person's decision to choose his or her approach to religion, spirituality etc. However, posting threads like this one and the one about the sun would probably be more appropriate for a MFP group.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! This might get more responses on a holistic or ayurvedic site. :)
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful read! Thank you for this. :flowerforyou:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Might want to link to the article/blog post from where you copy+pasted this. Not doing so tends to put a negative spin on anything you post by the people who read and found out you just did copypasta.

http://www.nithyayoga.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=136&Itemid=203
  • zyxst
    Options
    Sleeping after a meal is a 100% guaranteed way to put on weight.

:laugh:
  • Kankalamalini
    Options
    @nomeejerome I respect everybody's opinion as well and I don't want or expect everybody to agree with me. But I believe that opinions and comments such as yours should be kept to oneself, especially when it is not related to the title of this topic. Why would you bother to click on this link when you are full of doubt and skepticism and you know that you don't have nothing to say that is directly related to Sattvic diet? Either talk about the title of this topic or keep those comments to yourself and let the normal discussion happen between those who are interested to know more.
  • zyxst
    Options
    @nomeejerome I respect everybody's opinion as well and I don't want or expect everybody to agree with me. But I believe that opinions and comments such as yours should be kept to oneself, especially when it is not related to the title of this topic. Why would you bother to click on this link when you are full of doubt and skepticism and you know that you don't have nothing to say that is directly related to Sattvic diet? Either talk about the title of this topic or keep those comments to yourself and let the normal discussion happen between those who are interested to know more.

If you only want responses from people interested in yoga and your way of eating, then create/find a group on MFP and post there. This is in a public forum where anyone and everyone can and will respond if they choose.
  • Kankalamalini
    Options
    @zyxst I never said I am the author of his article, everyone here is smart enough to know that these things don't come out of my head, Ayurveda is a 5000 year old system of natural healing. ;)

And yes it is public forum, everyone has access to it and maybe this will spark someone's curiosity to do more research (if there are not too many comments that are not related to this topic by people such as yourself).
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    @zyxst I never said I am the author of his article, everyone here is smart enough to know that these things don't come out of my head, Ayurveda is a 5000 year old system of natural healing. ;)

And yes it is public forum, everyone has access to it and maybe this will spark someone's curiosity to do more research (if there are not too many comments that are not related to this topic by people such as yourself).

1. Not citing your source is implying that you are the author of the material.
    2. Some of the information posted could be read by a person and taken as absolute truths and no further research will be completed, therefore they could take on the belief that sleeping after eating is a guaranteed way to put on weight. (which is not true)
    3. A public forum, available to all and as I said in my first post, this subject may be more appropriate for a MFP group.
  • D_Haddo
    D_Haddo Posts: 3
    Options
    2. Some of the information posted could be read by a person and taken as absolute truths and no further research will be completed, therefore they could take on the belief that sleeping after eating is a guaranteed way to put on weight. (which is not true)
    3. A public forum, available to all and as I said in my first post, this subject may be more appropriate for a MFP group.

people like you make it impossible to have conversation. what are you doing here? who are you to tell where to post stuff if this is done according to MFP forum rules? and you are still deviating from the main topic, why do you waste your time and other peoples time doing this, when this may be helpful to somebody else.. and it turned into discussion about irrelevant things..
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

people like you make it impossible to have conversation. what are you doing here? who are you to tell where to post stuff if this is done according to MFP forum rules? and you are still deviating from the main topic, why do you waste your time and other peoples time doing this, when this may be helpful to somebody else.. and it turned into discussion about irrelevant things..

If the OP is presenting misinformation as fact I believe there's value in challenging the information so other people don't make unnecessary dietary restrictions/changes that aren't going to provide them any benefit. Such as the notion that sleeping promotes fat accumulation.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Not for anything but I had no doubt that the OP was not implying that they were the author of the material.

:shrug:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    —Sit in the vajrasana position (sitting on your heels, knees and feet together) for 3-5 minutes after a meal.

Not terribly practical in the office... but thanks... :huh:
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the @!@!@## you are talking about. I live in Alaska and we don't even have sunlight for half of the year. When do we eat?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Ayurveda is a 5000 year old system of natural healing.

That still doesn't make it fact.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people!