Been craving a cheesburger......

Options
SO I have been fighting going to five guys and getting a big bouble bacon burger with all the veg's and mayo - Today I went to wendy's to get a small chili to go with my salad. It was very meaty and I don't want a burger anymore lol. This might help someone later - according to the app it's only about 180 cal's also - gotta watch the salt though!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    SO I have been fighting going to five guys and getting a big bouble bacon burger with all the veg's and mayo - Today I went to wendy's to get a small chili to go with my salad. It was very meaty and I don't want a burger anymore lol. This might help someone later - according to the app it's only about 180 cal's also - gotta watch the salt though!

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.
  • muziclver
    muziclver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to give in to strong cravings to avoid the binging. I hate five guys myself though. lol too much grease for me. Maybe make a homemade cheeseburger with lean meat? (:
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.

Exactly... that's the point. She got rid of her craving through eating a healthier foods.
  • Acg67
    Options

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.

Exactly... that's the point. She got rid of her craving through eating a healthier foods.

Go on, how is the chili healthier?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    When I crave a cheeseburger, I eat a cheeseburger. :D
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

If it fits into your caloric goals for the day it doesn't hurt to indulge yourself every now and then. I've got to admit though, I'd probably enjoy the chili more than a burger.
  • mary29033
    Options
    Really? Just have a burger! Plan your day accordingly. Losing weight is a journey - it's about learning how to eat what you love and still lose or maintain your personal ideal weight. There are plenty of restaurant or home cooked options out there. I make my own grilled turkey burgers using 99% fat free ground turkey breast and Mrs. Dash Caribbean blend (bright blue top, I think that is the name, salt free.) With fresh tomato, baby wild greens and a big slice of dill pickle on top, you won't even know you are eating turkey. I truly love it better than a beef burger!

I also eat out a couple of times of a week right now because of my busy work schedule. My favorite is the Hardees (yes, I know, but our Hardees down here are awesome!) 1/4 lb thick burger with the low-carb option. They wrap it in big lettuce leaves for me and it's just like a homemade burger off the grill from back home, which - since I'm 1,000 miles from home right now living in a crappy apartment working at a crappy job and missing my cra...I mean, my GREAT family (LOL) very much - totally cures me of the pain I'm feeling of missing all the great family cookouts we usually have back home!

Seriously, go with a healthy option - flame grilled, healthy toppings, and what the hell, eat the bun if you want it. You are creating a lifestyle...you can't deny yourself your favorites - you just need to eat in moderation and plan, plan, plan!!!
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.

It would absolutely be healthier. No bun, no mayo, no bacon, small portion. No, not completely healthy but definitely a better choice!!
  • Acg67
    Options

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.

It would absolutely be healthier. No bun, no mayo, no bacon, small portion. No, not completely healthy but definitely a better choice!!

Strong logic, I take it buns, mayo, bacon, larger portions = "unhealthy"?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.

So buns, bacon and mayo are unhealthy? Or is it just the calories count?
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.

She was saying it was a lot less calories than caving into the burger. I'm not saying chili is "healthy", but the chili and salad for 200 calories or whatever is an obvious better choice than the burger and fries with all the works at Five Guys, which probably would've been over a days worth of calories and fat for sure. She was just trying to be helpful.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.

Concur! I may go eat a cheeseburger for lunch today. Culver's or Wendy's?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hells kitchen says go eat one then
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hey, if that is what you like to do and what worked for you, kudos! What others have said though also goes -- you may set yourself up for failure by totally denying your cravings. I love 5 Guys. I haven't been in a burger mood much since I've started my lifestyle changes, but I don't disallow the possibility. Rather than get the hugest burger there with the works, get the smaller one. Or get the one you totally want and make sure the calories fit into your day's goals. When I'm on the road and decide I want a specialty individual pizza from this rockin' place in Oklahoma City, I know I'm going to have about 1000-1200 calories of dinner. I eat lighter during the day, and I make sure I do at least 30 minutes hard on the treadmill (I do it anyway just because I'm loving getting healthier), and then if I really think I'll be bad, I do another 30 minutes to help give me extra calories. I then sit back and enjoy guilt free pizza. I'd do the same with a burger. If I missed exercising and went over for the day, I'd just make sure I hit it the next day and not stress over it. If I don't do that all the time, I'm still going to be losing and doing it without feeling deprived of cravings :) To me, it's just a matter of balance and will power to not give in incessantly to cravings but to give myself permission to do it sometimes.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.

Oh, this is getting interesting. 10 bucks on Ac

eat-popcorn-3D.gif
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    IN...for science.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.

Perhaps, less Calories. If the chili has beans, more fiber (and farts). That is all.

To OP: Instead of getting the regular double bacon cheeseburger with regular fries at Five Guys, get the mini burger and a mini fries. Less of a Calorie bomb and still delicious!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    When I crave a cheeseburger, I eat a cheeseburger. :D

Ditto
    1371933161000-PBC-1306221636_4_3.JPG
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    The only thing I believe that is unhealthy about five guys is the amount of peanut oil they use in everything they make, HOWEVER, their burgers are broiled on the flat top, and very little peanut oil is used (except on the fries....they come out wayyy too greasy for my taste)

You can eat a salad, and a small chili from wendy's for ~ 200 calories (give or take cheese / size of salad) and be content for say, an hour. And have to have something else for 400 calories because now your metabolism is going and you need to fuel your body. The high sodium content from the chili will now cause your taste buds to salivate and crave more salty things (SCIENCE)

Or. you could give into your craving and have a bacon cheese burger from Five Guys (no fries) with bacon and the works for about ~960 calories. This will not only satiate your craving, but the amount of fats and protein will keep you full much longer, and satisfying your craving will in turn get rid of the urges to overeat later on because you didn't get your fix. Making them yourself will provide even better for you because it won't have any addictive type additives that preserve the meat. Take a look at the "food picture" thread and check out Acg's burgers. They are packed with amazingness, are high in calories, and have plenty of nutritional value in them, AND he fits them into his macros

I could be wrong, but it's how I think about things.
  • Acg67
    Options

Chili =/= cheeseburgers.

She was saying it was a lot less calories than caving into the burger. I'm not saying chili is "healthy", but the chili and salad for 200 calories or whatever is an obvious better choice than the burger and fries with all the works at Five Guys, which probably would've been over a days worth of calories and fat for sure. She was just trying to be helpful.

Gotcha, when I hear people are craving fried chicken, I recommend canned chicken cause it's less cals and shares a common ingredient to what they are craving