Wow - That had how few calories ?!!?

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Corn Tortillas too. Most are only 50 calories. I spray very lightly with pam and heat in a no stick pan for a few minutes. Much lower than the average monster sized flour tortilla. Somehow having two makes me feel extravagant.

I even buy the mini corn tortillas. Some are 30-40 calories a piece. I can have 3 tacos for about 250 calories with meat, lettuce or cabbage, plain greek yogurt and shredded cheese if i have any on hand.
  • OhMsDiva
    jesslla wrote: »
    Corn Tortillas too. Most are only 50 calories. I spray very lightly with pam and heat in a no stick pan for a few minutes. Much lower than the average monster sized flour tortilla. Somehow having two makes me feel extravagant.

@cheryldumais Have you tried spraying them with Pam, salting them and baking them at 350/400 until crispy? Use a pizza cutter to cut into wedges first and you have corn chips! Keep them whole and use them for tostadas.

Keep a watch on them because they can go from crispy to burned pretty quick. I don't time them, I like them on the softer side unless I'm dipping them in salsa.

So good.

I have done so, except I use olive oil. I will add some shredded cheese to mine also and I have nachos.
  • OhMsDiva
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Grilled cheeses. I can make a bomb grilled cheese for less than 200 calories.

What kind of cheese are you using? I love cheese but 2oz of cheddar for a sandwich is over 200 cals even before any bread and oil/butter to grill it in.

Not the one asked, but thought I would respond.

sw8ij4y4nm6z.png

Maybe not a "bomb" but it does the trick. Some salsa to dip it in and it hits the 200 cal mark.

@Tacklewasher Where do you get this bread? The stuff I buy is 80 calories a slice (generic bread from HEB). Do you spray the Pam on the bread or the pan? I tried it on the pan and the sandwich was so dry.

A good thing on grilled cheese is a sprinkle of onion and garlic powders right after they done cooking (or after one side is done, the powders burn easily). Add just a little salt if you want to make the flavors really pop too.

I use Sara Lee whole wheat 120 for two slice or Sara Lee Delightful, 90 calories for two slices. Depending on what I have at home I use shredded cheese or the ultra thin slices of cheddar cheese. I do add garlic and onion seasoning, but I add it on top of the cheese before cooking,
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

What kind of cheese are you using? I love cheese but 2oz of cheddar for a sandwich is over 200 cals even before any bread and oil/butter to grill it in.

sw8ij4y4nm6z.png

Maybe not a "bomb" but it does the trick. Some salsa to dip it in and it hits the 200 cal mark.

@Tacklewasher Where do you get this bread? The stuff I buy is 80 calories a slice (generic bread from HEB). Do you spray the Pam on the bread or the pan? I tried it on the pan and the sandwich was so dry.

A good thing on grilled cheese is a sprinkle of onion and garlic powders right after they done cooking (or after one side is done, the powders burn easily). Add just a little salt if you want to make the flavors really pop too.

I'm in Canada. Superstore. Their Blue Menu bread. It's just normal bread sliced thinner, but it works. And just their No-Name cheese slice. I've got a sandwich maker so I give each side a quick spray.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    aeloine wrote: »
    BACON.

I definitely thought that it would be WAY worse.

Edit: someone already said it :(

Really can't be said too many times tho. Bacon is awesome!

Totally agree with this and whoever said to think of bacon as a "fat" not a "protein" - two slices of bacon is a lot more satiating and flavorful than a tablespoon of mayo IMO
  • Germank106
    Germank106 Posts: 11 Member
    Radishes, Mushrooms and Tomatoes. I knew they were low, but I didn't know how low.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

sw8ij4y4nm6z.png

I ALWAYS sprinkle garlic and/or onion powder. It really adds a delicious element as you said. The bread I buy is only 45 calories a slice and cheese is 35 calories a slice, so I sometimes use 2 slices bread, 2 slices cheese and it is SUPER cheesy and delicious for <200 calories.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    If you're a pasta lover I suggest looking to see if your local grocery sells Shirataki Noodles. They're a bit more expensive than normal noodles, but at only 15 calories, 4 total carbs, and 3 fiber per serving they're a pretty excellent substitute for when you've got a noodle craving. They have a neutral flavor so they work well with any type of cuisine.

My fave is to throw some in a pan to saute with a huge pile of vegetables and some chicken, add a little soy sauce and a bunch of sriracha and I get to feel like I'm pigging out on chow mein or yakisoba for less than 250 calories.

Also La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Flour Tortillas. 80 cals, 16 total carbs, 8 fiber per tortilla. And they don't taste like cardboard like some of the other high fiber tortillas out there.

Even better tortillas are tumaros 80 calorie wraps. My favorites are the 10inch everything bagel, sourdough, rye, and pumpernickel! I eat 1-2 a day. They are WAY better than la tortilla. I used to buy those years back until I found these. These are a lot softer and bigger. (10inch vs 8inch la tortilla for same calories)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    After messing around for awhile with cauliflower pizza recipes and being so disappointed every time, I finally realized how easy it is to make myself a small, delicious, crispy, REAL pizza for only about 250 calories. OK, so it wasn't a large quantity, but it was good!

Me too! So easy to make with riced cauliflower. I also love making these low calorie cauliflower bagels/buns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxlmQ0mvKXE
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    BACON. OK, it's not a low calorie food but it doesn't actually take a LOT of bacon to give a great bacon flavor. BLTs on thin bread are really good!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Our family discovered lower-cal pizza by using tortillas as the crust. Just spread sauce, cheese, and whatever toppings on top, then bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. I can have a whole one for just at 300 calories, and it's delish! The kids like them too! Hubby needs more than one, lol.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    If you're a pasta lover I suggest looking to see if your local grocery sells Shirataki Noodles. They're a bit more expensive than normal noodles, but at only 15 calories, 4 total carbs, and 3 fiber per serving they're a pretty excellent substitute for when you've got a noodle craving. They have a neutral flavor so they work well with any type of cuisine.

My fave is to throw some in a pan to saute with a huge pile of vegetables and some chicken, add a little soy sauce and a bunch of sriracha and I get to feel like I'm pigging out on chow mein or yakisoba for less than 250 calories.

Also La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Flour Tortillas. 80 cals, 16 total carbs, 8 fiber per tortilla. And they don't taste like cardboard like some of the other high fiber tortillas out there.

Even better tortillas are tumaros 80 calorie wraps. My favorites are the 10inch everything bagel, sourdough, rye, and pumpernickel! I eat 1-2 a day. They are WAY better than la tortilla. I used to buy those years back until I found these. These are a lot softer and bigger. (10inch vs 8inch la tortilla for same calories)

Chi-Chi's 100 calorie wraps aren't too bad...usually easy to find in places like Wal-Mart. Also extra thin corn tortillas are really low in calories and just thinner than the regular corn tortillas.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Our family discovered lower-cal pizza by using tortillas as the crust. Just spread sauce, cheese, and whatever toppings on top, then bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. I can have a whole one for just at 300 calories, and it's delish! The kids like them too! Hubby needs more than one, lol.

Bagel thins would be a good option, too, if you want pizza bagels. One plain one is 110 calories.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    I think this is my new fav thread on MFP!

For me Bacon, watermelon and cantaloupe were surprisingly low.