Wow - That had how few calories ?!!?

Options

Replies

• nlland84
    nlland84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lunch has always been my disaster meal and where I usually blow out so I’m always looking for new ideas.
    My current ‘go-to’ low cal lunch is 250g chicken breast grilled with some herbs on a 225g bed of DIY coleslaw w/ minimal south-west style dressing. 350kcal, about the same as a bare-bones subway 6in but super filling, full of protein and tastes amazing.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, cashew milk, zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms, asparagus, lean pork chops, 0% greek yogurt, egg whites, salsa, spaghetti squash, kabocha, . Vegetables in general
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Eelkov wrote: »
    demarcan wrote: »
    don't bite my head off but SUGAR. a teaspoon is only 15 calories. very satisfying tastewise and psychologically if you sprinkle some on fruit/whatever else you want or in your hot beverage of choice. makes you realize how much sugar is packed into so many of our foods... because a little can go a long way.

Actually, I completely agree... considering sugar is "the bad guy" simply adding a teaspoon or two of sugar to your wheatbix is actually fine...

The war should be on "Hidden Sugar"..

What's Wheatbix?

It's a Brit/Aus Hot breakfast cereal. I believe it's similar to Farina or Cream of wheat.

Although my Google fu suggests that it's a cold cereal more like the old school giant Kellogg's shredded wheat bricks.

Interesting. Never seen it down in the Midwest.

Weetabix:

stock-photo-white-bowl-with-three-whole-wheat-breakfast-biscuits-isolated-on-white-with-no-milk-368261429.jpg[img]Usually made with hot or cold milk. very different texture from Shredded Wheat:[/img]th?id=OIP.v4U9QyjUr0yz5stntqP43QHaEK&w=300&h=168&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7][img][/img]
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Fat free Feta cheese at 30 cals a serving (28 g)!

And OP thank you! I love this thread!!!!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Fage 0%, berries, pecorino romano cheese—a tablespoon really flavors veggies for around 20 calories.
  • dailyzey
    dailyzey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oranges! A fuji apple (which I love) is about 130 calories, but an orange which is just as sweet is about 80 calories. That really surprised me.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I had a recipe that a called for making sauce. I thought I would be lazy and just grab a jar of sauce from the supermarket. I realized that the calories seemed to jump, I looked it up and the jarred sauce vs. simmering with crushed tomatoes was over 200 calories! I also learned that it is incredibly easy to make a simple sauce.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Raw vegetables and hummus--a great appetizer for about 100 calories. Fage 2% Greek yogurt, 12 g of protein and only 130 calories. Kimchi--almost no calories!
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Whipped cream >:):)
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I just made buffalo chicken stuffed spaghetti squash for dinner last night, and couldn't get over how low in cals it was! 250 for 1/4 of the recipe.... I over-logged what I ate, because it just seemed like there was no way it could be that low!
  • gmalekirad
    gmalekirad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheeses. I can make a bomb grilled cheese for less than 200 calories.

What kind of cheese are you using? I love cheese but 2oz of cheddar for a sandwich is over 200 cals even before any bread and oil/butter to grill it in.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Grilled cheeses. I can make a bomb grilled cheese for less than 200 calories.

What kind of cheese are you using? I love cheese but 2oz of cheddar for a sandwich is over 200 cals even before any bread and oil/butter to grill it in.

Not the one asked, but thought I would respond.

sw8ij4y4nm6z.png

Maybe not a "bomb" but it does the trick. Some salsa to dip it in and it hits the 200 cal mark.

@Tacklewasher Where do you get this bread? The stuff I buy is 80 calories a slice (generic bread from HEB). Do you spray the Pam on the bread or the pan? I tried it on the pan and the sandwich was so dry.

A good thing on grilled cheese is a sprinkle of onion and garlic powders right after they done cooking (or after one side is done, the powders burn easily). Add just a little salt if you want to make the flavors really pop too.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Heinz big soup (chicken and veg) only 200 calories for the whole tin