Wow - That had how few calories ?!!?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Grilled cheeses. I can make a bomb grilled cheese for less than 200 calories.

Teach me your ways.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    In Canada Wheatbix is cold cereal just like a giant shredded wheat.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    String cheese is low in calories and I was also excited to see that seaweed salad is as well :)
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Plain greek yogurt, either 0% or 2%. I use it as a sour cream substitute and I'm always impressed with how not-calorie dense it is as a topping. :)
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member

HOW? please post up bread butter and cheese so I can get some of this inside me! Thank you !
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    goggleslyn wrote: »
    Eelkov wrote: »
    oil free pita bread
    Hmmm never heard of that... very cool...

So true. Before I got home I was putting together a big Greek dinner full or veggies in my phone. After totaling it all I came to the conclusion I just couldn't have my half pita pocket :(
    When I got home the brand I bought was oil free and holy crap I could eat two pockets if I wanted!

WhAT BRAND?
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    For the UK-based, Space Raiders (baked corn snacks) at 58 cals a pack. My local supermarket does them in beef or my fave, pickled onion. My new addiction :)
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    TurtleTape wrote: »

One great thing to do if you're a volume eater is to make dip with it for veggies. Cut up a few veggies, mix some herbs and spices in a cup of plain Greek yogurt, and pig out. So much volume. So much protein. So few calories.

What herbs/spices do you put in?

I second (third? fifth? eighth?) bacon!
    Also popcorn. And Laughing Cow. Y'all have said so many great ones!
    Ole Xtreme has a 50-calorie tortilla.
    A can of tuna.
    Pickles.
    (These things are starting to make a meal...)

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited January 2018
    oil free pita bread
    Hmmm never heard of that... very cool...

I found a brand of kosher called "Masada" pita that is 116 cals for a regular large pita. I checked the ingredients to see why and it used no fats or oils and that's a huge saving in cals. They are quite dry as a result but a half a minute under the broiler and they get nice and chewy. Also go tto keep them in the fridge as they mold really fast.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    edited January 2018
    lalee115 wrote: »
    TurtleTape wrote: »

One great thing to do if you're a volume eater is to make dip with it for veggies. Cut up a few veggies, mix some herbs and spices in a cup of plain Greek yogurt, and pig out. So much volume. So much protein. So few calories.

What herbs/spices do you put in?

I second (third? fifth? eighth?) bacon!
    Also popcorn. And Laughing Cow. Y'all have said so many great ones!
    Ole Xtreme has a 50-calorie tortilla.
    A can of tuna.
    Pickles.
    (These things are starting to make a meal...)

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dill are the biggies for me. If I have green onions on hand, I'll mince up the white of one and mix it in, as well. Just play around and see what tastes good. You could also use ranch dressing seasoning mix or other premixed seasonings.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2018
    Sour cream. Parmesan cheese (the cheap kind in the plastic tub) sugar. Only 15 calories for a tsp! Shredded cheese in general... when it’s shredded it always seem like you get more lol. Oh yeah pineapple. You get quite a lot for very few calories. Also cheese its. Oh and bacon.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Parmesan is fantastic for flavour to gram ratio. I'm also obsessed with spices and herbs and eat a lot of curry, chili, herby stews and the like.

0% greek yogurt, not because I'm scared of the fat but because I'm a tiny human and every calorie counts and I need the protein. Tinned tuna, ditto.

Lemon juice. Traditional mushroom ketchup. Vinegars of all sorts. Miso. Bovril.

Mushrooms. Courgettes. Tomatoes are pretty good too. Cucumbers and related pickles. Sauerkraut. Anything with a low calorie to high flavour ratio, high volume ratio or high protein ratio really.
  • dailyzey
    dailyzey Posts: 82 Member

What!! How? You must tell me! I love grilled cheese sandwiches but can rarely have them due to calories
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member

What's your secret? My grilled cheeses are like double that. I use mayo instead of butter, because butter is so hard to spread, and I go very light on the mayo, but I'd say there's like eighty to a hundred calories right there between both slices. I don't like not using any oil on my bread. And my cheese is 70 calories a slice.

I would kill for a bomb cheese at 200.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    meringues
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Bacon. Popcorn. Sour Cream. Egg whites.

All have been listed, but these were my biggest surprises when I really started paying attention.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    OMG egg whites are my savior.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    demarcan wrote: »
    don't bite my head off but SUGAR. a teaspoon is only 15 calories. very satisfying tastewise and psychologically if you sprinkle some on fruit/whatever else you want or in your hot beverage of choice. makes you realize how much sugar is packed into so many of our foods... because a little can go a long way.

Actually, I completely agree... considering sugar is "the bad guy" simply adding a teaspoon or two of sugar to your wheatbix is actually fine...

The war should be on "Hidden Sugar"..

What's Wheatbix?

It's a Brit/Aus Hot breakfast cereal. I believe it's similar to Farina or Cream of wheat.

Although my Google fu suggests that it's a cold cereal more like the old school giant Kellogg's shredded wheat bricks.

Interesting. Never seen it down in the Midwest.