So ANNOYED by food pushers at my office!

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    and one of my co-workers waved a chicken finger in front of my face and said "mmmmm sooo good. Don't you just wish you could eat it?".

I would probably say "If I wanted to look like you, I would eat like you"

But it's probably a little better to say "I CAN eat it. I choose not to."
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    When it used to happen to me I'd politely refuse then point at myself up and down while saying "my body's a temple". Do this with a big grin every time.

They'll soon expect the response and cool it on the (chicken) finger waving.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Can you eat somewhere else for your lunch hour or do something else with the time outside the office and eat at your desk?

FWIW, these women sound like they're harassing you. I think you would be within your rights to go to HR, as someone else suggested,but I would try another method first, either avoiding them or confronting them.

Why shouldn't you be able to eat your lunch in peace?
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    tell them you'd prefer to eat their old wrinkly *kitten* with this face:

tumblr_lr0zcd8lxU1qes46fo1_500.gif

stare blankly without making a single expression. pick up your food with a straight face and keep direct eye contact without blinking as you walk to a table behind theirs. Eat your food while staring at them. and don't say a single word.

that'll shut em up
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    you could just tell them you're allergic now and will barf over them if you eat it..so , no.
  • MrsMcLaughlin2013
    MrsMcLaughlin2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You have my sympathy! I work in the same department as a Part Time baker...Cakes, cookies, muffins, cupcakes...There are days I would like to push her off a cliff, especially when she acts offended that I am not scarfing her creations down with everyone else. But when it comes down to it, my health is more important than anything...you cant get rid of annoying people, but you can change the way you react. Can you eat outside maybe?
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    People at work give me a hard time about the way I eat beacause I eat salads or vegetables everyday... I just ask them why they DON'T eat them!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Look them straight in the eye and calmly ask them why they would do something so sh!tty. I personally see nothing wrong with fried chicken tenders or anything, but what they did is pretty rude. You can either let it be known that you aren't going to put up with it or you can be mad at your co-workers all the everyday.

This. It is one thing to ask if you want to order food with them, but it is another to wave it in your face. Your food choices clearly make them uncomfortable because it shows them what they should be doing. I don't think they are trying to be mean, but they are letting their insecurities dictate their behavior. I would just say "no thank you. I am actually very happy with the choice I made. would you like to try some?". You've now given them a choice so the ball is in their court.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Funny-gif-Steve-Carell-The-Office-no-no.gif
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    But there comes a point when workplace banter and teasing crosses a line into bullying. I'd say waving chicken under your nose is on the line if not over it. It's not alright behaviour. If you can't amicably get your colleagues to back off, you need to make it formal.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    At least 3 times in the work week (this is not an exaggeration) all of my already overweight co-workers order fast, greasy take out. Every time they order, they ask me and I ALWAYS say "no thank-you" as politely as possible. Usually it ends there and we go on with our day. But lately, they have been ragging on me about my diet. We were sitting in the lunch room , I had a sandwhich and a salad, and one of my co-workers waved a chicken finger in front of my face and said "mmmmm sooo good. Don't you just wish you could eat it?".

That was my breaking point. I don't mind that they wanna eat the greasy foods (even though they are clearly gaining weight). I have will power to eat my salad while they eat greasy foods almost every day. I just can't stand the pushiness. It has gotten worse and worse. One of them is eating a poutine with chicken fingers and taunted me again. These are 30-50 year old women - bear that one in mind.

WTF DO I DO

One solution is to quit your job, and get a job where there are no food pushers allowed.

You could quit your job and stay home, and prepare your own food.

You could tell them to STFU, as it's none of their business.

You could eat at a different time than they do,

You could rat them out to the boss, and demand that your boss do something about the bullying and harrassing howtile work environment... (Oh wait.. you said poutine.. IN the states, bosses LOOOOVVEEE the term hostile work environment. Not sure about you up there in polar bear land.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Two things:
    We were sitting in the lunch room , I had a sandwhich and a salad, and one of my co-workers waved a chicken finger in front of my face and said "mmmmm sooo good. Don't you just wish you could eat it?".

CHICKENS HAVE FINGERS?????? :noway: :noway:

and...
    I feel your pain and I have the same thing happen to me too, a lot. Today for instance. Our office had catered in, Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Hot Buttered Rolls, etc. and it's a nightmare here. They act like I'm insane because I brought my lunch. I have one friend here who weighs twice what I do and can barely walk and they just don't get it.

:love: Catered Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Hot Buttered Rolls, etc :love: and you brought your own lunch??? You are insane!!!

Here's the thing, for them to realize that you "can't" eat what they're eating, then at some point you made it a big deal about being on a diet...am I right? Otherwise, they would just assume you'd rather not eat it because of personal preference and not because you feel the need to restrict the types of food you eat.

If you react the way they want you to react, it will happen again, and you give them the power over your emotions. If you just ignore it...or pick up their plate and dump it in their lap....you send the signal that you're not bothered by it or that you're not going to take it.

I would love to hear what you mean by "That was my breaking point. "...does that mean you're mad enough to do something about it, or just mad enough to post anonymously on an internet forum?
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I have co-workers who like to eat sweets almost everyday. Someone is always bringing something. Up front, I told them I wouldn't accept offers and I politely ALWAYS SAID "no". They finally started laughing it off and asking " I know you will say no but I'm offering so you won't feel excluded." I just said "thank you" and we all went on. But, they did get the message. Sounds like your co-workers need to be confronted tactfully with "I" messages. It sounds like they may be disregarding your feelings. Tell them when I hear you say......I feel (insert feeling). Then I would ask them if they would respect your diet. They are probably teasing, albeit irritating, and don't realize how much it bothers you. I know conflict is tough but some of my best results came from situations like these. Just be sure to tell them it hurts your feelings if that is really behind all this. Tell them the diet is tough and you need support if that is the case. They probably won't admit it, but they probably respect your choices and that you are disciplined. Be matter of fact and honest, otherwise, it could be a slippery, miserable slope.Take them some fattening cookies when you do it. They may appreciate that you respect their choices. Just a thought. Keep it up, I will be eating a salad with a little bit of protein everyday for lunch also. I will think of you. Good Luck!

^^^Great advice here.

I have medical problems with sweets. I get terrible migraines if I have more than a small amount of chocolate (I've been to the emergency room twice because of chocolate from my job -- not funny at all when you get a 3 day headache with vomiting). Still, people leave it on my desk during the holidays. You have to be upfront and tell them not to do that. One guy brought me some again this week even though I've asked him not to, so I said no again, that I don't eat it. I used to pretend and hide it or throw it away, but I'm fed up with that.

Good luck. I feel for you.
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    OP

Do absolutely nothing.

Nothing at all.

It is possible to ignore - and you have to understand this is just relativity. Meaning they see some doing better than them and out of insecurity try to drag you back into their world. You are very real in their world, but they don't have to be in yours.

Their actions should make it even easier for you to enjoy your new found healthy diet.

Do. Nothing.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Get a promotion and fire them all.

Just kidding.

First I would never tell anyone at work I was on a diet. that is just setting yourself up.

You are letting them cross a personal boundary by allowing them to comment on what you eat.

I would just calmly tell them it isn't appropriate to comment on what you are eating.

Funny that no one would do this to me at work. That is because I am the boss.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Look them straight in the eye and calmly ask them why they would do something so sh!tty. I personally see nothing wrong with fried chicken tenders or anything, but what they did is pretty rude. You can either let it be known that you aren't going to put up with it or you can be mad at your co-workers all the everyday.

This. Also I like mspoopoo's idea: get a promotion and fire them all.

Although I have no filter. I would have said "get that *kitten* outta my face before I show you how strong I really am, b!tch."

Aaaaaand this is why I just eat at my desk.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If it happens again take your fork, stab that chicken finger in mid-air and then pin it down to the table. Put your face right up in your coworker's face and say "Chicken fingers killed my father and raped my mother".

Or just be, like, "Nope" and keep eating your salad.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Here's the thing, for them to realize that you "can't" eat what they're eating, then at some point you made it a big deal about being on a diet...am I right? Otherwise, they would just assume you'd rather not eat it because of personal preference and not because you feel the need to restrict the types of food you eat.

This is not necessarily the case. At my office, I have never told anyone, I can't eat this or that, My employees, know I don't partake of many of the sweet treats, or extra rich things they offer. Some have asked me. I get the comments about not being able to eat the good stuff. I just tell them that it's not that I can't eat it. It's that I am choosing not to so I can eat more things later. I basically explain I am trying to keep my calories in less than my calories out, and if I eat that triple fudge cupcake made with reese's peanut butter cups in it, and topped with 2 inches of buttercream frosting at 450 calories per cake, that will practically eliminate the majority of a meal for me. I would rather just have a spoonful of the frosting, and eat some veggies, and a reasonable portion of a main dish later in the evening.

They still don't get it, and based upon what their preconceived notion of what "dieting" is, believe that I am restricting myself from anything but salads, cottage cheese (blech) and boiled chicken.

I just let them think what they want.

I am glad to say that some of my employees have been bery sensitive to my eating preferences, and will bring fruit and veggie trays to potlucks these days. That was unheard of before I came here.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I just say, "No thanks!"

I get nagged to go out every Monday, and in addition to that people are always ordering food or bringing in donuts, cookies, etc.

If people order out, sometimes I will partake in it if the restaurant has something healthy. But count me out on Monday wing nights! I don't need all that garbage in my body! If I'm going to eat anything fried - it better be homemade!

PS, not all obese people eat like that... Some of us have just been very sedentary and as a result gained weight. I know thin co-workers that harass others the way you are talking about. It's not a weight thing, it's a lifestyle choice.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'd say "well I could eat it, but I really don't want to end up looking like you" :tongue: :laugh:

That's what I'd say too......