Keto diet if you dont like veggies

My wife and I are starting thr Keto diet .... Im curious if anyone has the same issue i have? I hate veggies ...... I eat corn and salsa and pickles but does thatbreally count? Im curious if anyone can help me with ideas or recipes .... And i dont eat sea food . . was raised a meat and potatoes for 26 years ... Im not fat .... I would just like to tone up

Thanks, Mac

Replies

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited January 2018
    I like keto, but I’m really hesitant to endorse limiting your vegetables even more than you already do. Dill pickles and a little salsa can fit nicely into keto, but if your main diet is meat & potatoes, I mean...you’d be mostly eating meat. Meat, cheese, oils, fats, nuts & nut butters—do you like berries? You could get in a bunch of berries, probably.

People do it, but is that what you actually want to do? What benefits do you think it will have for you? For me it controls cravings and actually encourages me to eat MORE veggies, because I don’t have all my easy go-to “filler” foods. And I’m trying to lose weight, so not bingeing and getting maximum nutrients into what I do eat is important to me.

However, my ability to work out HARD has plummeted. I like plyo workouts and basically haven’t done one since I started keto. There are days when I’m really not up heavy weights, and just walking my dogs on trails feels like a replacement for spin, and none of that is normal for me. So if you’re looking to tighten up but not really to lose weight, keto might not make sense for you.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 838 Member
    Might want to check these folks out for ideas, recipes and such: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Best of luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Figuring out what keto is, what it's for, and whether it appeals to you, sounds like the best place to start.

This goes for any style of eating: Either just eat the foods you like, or try new foods to widen your horizon. Or force yourself, if that is your thing. You can google any combination of keto, vegetables, picky, dinner, recipe, etc etc. That's the only ideas I have.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    Without veggies, you're basically already eating a restrictive diet. Further restricting it by eliminating carbs doesn't sound like a great idea. What would you eat? Fats and meats only? Good luck ever pooping again. Or getting any micronutrients, since you couldn't eat fruit anymore (aside from the occasional berry).

If I were you I'd work on that veggie hang-up and try to find ways to work them into your diet for better nutrition. Smoothies with a handful of baby spinach is an easy option. Blended veggie soups can be nice, and roasted veggies might be good. It's not like you have to eat raw broccoli stems or something! Veggies can be prepared in a variety of ways to make them taste really good.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    I hated veggies until my early twenties and I’m still kind of picky. When I learned how to cook them right it changed my mind. Roasting them with your favorite spices or adding them to stews, chili’s, soups helps me eat my veggies.

Keto will probably hamper your workouts. Maybe just eat a slight deficit and start a weight lifting program.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    You should eat vegetables whether you do keto or not, but I'm sure you know that.

As with any diet you can do keto without them, although I don't personally think it would be healthy, and it would be extremely restrictive.

I don't think eliminating potatoes in favor of more fat will really achieve anything.

That said, check out the low carb group linked above for more specific advice if you want to do it.