Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »
    Good Morning Friends - I had a lapse yesterday and drank beer. I made it a cheat meal and had Chic Fil A fries and nuggets. The beer tasted strange and I didnt enjoy it much. So back on the dry wagon today. I was going to drink on Super Bowl Sunday but am not feeling like it anymore.

Thanks for even more confirmation that I am not missing anything...except Chic Fil A. Never had it, they just opened one in our area though... :p

Chic Fil A is OK, better than some other bad fast food decisions.
  • Stepping18
    Stepping18 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bdbchick wrote: »
    I was out and about earlier and I was tempted to go to Chili's for booze and maybe a drink because I was really hungry at that point but I resisted. I haven't had a drop of alcohol all year.

Great job! You resisted the urge. Success :):)

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I managed 21 AF days in January, but the 10 drinking days were doozies. I'm starting with a clean slate for February, and plan to stay dry all month. I'd really like to keep it up all the way through my yearly check-up in April, but I'm just taking it one day at a time.

2/1-dry

I drank 12 days out of january...but like you some of those were really heavy....like 4-7glasses of wine?!

My goal for feb is single digits- 9 days (or less) total of drinking.... but ZERO drinking days to exceed one bottle of wine!

Also i am saving $10.00 in a jar each sober day. So last month i saved $180.00
    I liked the little ritual of tossing the money in as i fought my last urge for a night cap...and instead making my cup of tea and heading to bed feeling proud instead of ashamed.

I might be one of the heaviest alcoholics in this thread (averaged close to a bottle of wine six days a week). But i work out 1-2 hours a day and have such a high tolerance that weaning down like this (vs. Abstaining) seems to be the only way i can succeed.

Good luck everyone. Reading these posts (from january) helped me stay focused and i am sure i will need them this month too.

I was drinking 9 beers a night this time last year. I'm down to 6 or 7, and my goal is to keep it at 6. Trying to beat my January 50% success rate. We can do this!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Well done @JenT304! So cool being able to abstain or moderate when surrounded by alcohol. I’m headed to the Cleveland airport doing a happy dance for enjoying festivities without it. Thanks to this group for support!!!
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    eminater wrote: »
    I'm in. ... but .... Can someone help me though. I used to enjoy one glass of wine each evening to wind down, or maybe a cold beer on a warmer night, now that I have stopped that (like in the last few weeks or so), I seem to crave chocolate at the end of the day - this is a new thing. Is it because my body was used to sugar at the end of the day? The chocolate craving is what I am struggling with atm. So tonight I had a mandarin after dinner - like it was super sweet and juicy, then I brushed my teeth so I won't want choc.

It has seemed to work for today. Anyone else experience anything like this?

OH yes! Many of us are seeming to crave chocolate or sweets. I've been dipping a spoon into peanut butter and decorating it with chocolate chips!! Several people on this thread mentioned that since alcohol is a sugar and we are cutting it out, our body is craving it. Having an assortment of tea around helps curb craving. Or let yourself have a little chocolate anyway. I love mandarins. That was a great idea!

@eminater @JulieAL1969 Julie is absolutely correct about many people craving sweets after going alcohol-free! I'm in that boat as well. I am not generally big on eating desserts, but I have felt like I need something sweet pretty much every day since the first week of January. At first I didn't really think much about it, but then as my dry weeks passed, I noticed I was literally craving something sweet every single day. I read somewhere online about the connection with craving sweet foods after stopping alcohol and that has been confirmed by so many others in this thread. I've allowed myself the luxury of having a dessert of some kind every day and just going with it for now. I'm not going crazy with the desserts, though, as I am in maintenance with my weight and I'd very much like to keep it that way.

Dessert ideas that have really helped (& satisfied!) me these past 5 weeks:
    - an orange from the tree in my backyard
    - sugar free pudding in a mini graham cracker crust (my favorite lately is banana cream pudding, and you can purchase the little pre-made graham cracker crusts. quick and easy sweet treat)
    - plain Fage greek yogurt, sliced banana, unsweetened coconut flakes, semi-sweet chocolate chips
    - plain Fage greek yogurt, fresh blueberries, an ounce of blueberry Bear Naked granola, honey
    - a homemade chocolate chip + glass of almond milk

Hope those ideas help!
    Karen

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    @kcn2bluesky Thank you for the sweet treat suggestions. I also like to buy the puddings in single serve sizes (like you would put in a lunch box) or the mini ice cream sandwiches. I like that the portion size/calories is already set for you and I am less likely to have more than one. If I buy a carton of ice cream or make my own pudding I am way more likely to have more than the recommended portion. It feels decadent having desserts again after not really indulging regularly but I know I am having way less calories than I would be if it were wine.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Thank you Karen for those ideas! Can I come over and pick an orange, lol?? Seriously I need the coconut flakes...The banana cream pudding sounds great!

Anyways I have saved the strawberry tea bag and raspberry tea bag with seltzer idea, too. I want to go to this tea boutique again in a small town nearby. I have not been there in years. I wish they would let you sample. Maybe they do by now.

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    Options
    @salleewins @MissMay You inspired me to look up tea boutiques in town. And I found several. I will make a point to go. I never thought of going to one. I would prefer that experience of buying tea supporting small business owners than just picking some random ones from grocery shelf.

@donimfp Sorry to see you leave CLE, because I liked knowing you were here. Happy you had success.It is so empowering to abstain in the midst of parties and celebrations.

@JenT304 Teeth wearing sweaters! That made me laugh out loud. Cute!