Asking for a friend.

Options
2»

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    re-reading I see you say they "sell her snacks". I think that tells me what I need to know about the person giving the advice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Just explain the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist and suggest she get a second opinion from someone that has proper university qualifications for sound dietary advice.

In my state the educational requirements for both are the same. ^^This is out-dated advice, IMO.

I think this varies widely by state -- in most states I have lived, being able to call yourself a registered dietitian involves a lot more education and a specific license while it's relatively easy to take some online courses and call yourself a nutritionist.

I recently researched it in my state, because I thought I might like to be a weekend nutritionist.

The educational requirements are the same for both in my state, both require a degree and certification/license.. Much to my disappointment. I just think the flat advice we give on this site needs to be revised a bit.

I think it does make sense to acknowledge that this can vary by state, but the diet plan described in the OP makes me suspect that their friend is not in the hands of a highly trained professional (other possibilities: there are medical issues at play that OP doesn't know about or the friend is doing a poor job of understanding/describing the diet that was actually recommended).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Just explain the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist and suggest she get a second opinion from someone that has proper university qualifications for sound dietary advice.

In my state the educational requirements for both are the same. ^^This is out-dated advice, IMO.

I think this varies widely by state -- in most states I have lived, being able to call yourself a registered dietitian involves a lot more education and a specific license while it's relatively easy to take some online courses and call yourself a nutritionist.

I recently researched it in my state, because I thought I might like to be a weekend nutritionist.

The educational requirements are the same for both in my state, both require a degree and certification/license.. Much to my disappointment. I just think the flat advice we give on this site needs to be revised a bit.

I think it does make sense to acknowledge that this can vary by state, but the diet plan described in the OP makes me suspect that their friend is not in the hands of a highly trained professional (other possibilities: there are medical issues at play that OP doesn't know about or the friend is doing a poor job of understanding/describing the diet that was actually recommended).

I agree with the flakey advice seeming to come from someone who is self-certified. :lol:

Although, I had a long-term PCP Internal medicine doctor who graduated from Harvard (saw the plaque on the wall) and she gave me some really neglectful and poor advice over the years.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Your poor friend is getting fleeced I'm afraid. The amount of utter bollocks spouted by self-proclaimed nutritionists is staggering (my favourite is: "If you think about it, an egg is a chicken's period" :| ). It's such a subjective field, yet the vast majority of nutritionists seem to think that their way is the only correct way.

What you describe sounds like a very unhealthy & unsustainable diet (only green veg? So no carrots/cauliflower?). Perhaps the foods themselves are healthy, but a very drastic deficit every day for a long period of time is unhealthy.

I mean, FFS, you can OD on water.