What's YOUR biggest pet peeve while working out at the gym?

Options

Replies

• LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Too many to mention tbh...but mostly people who don't put gym equipment back when finished with it (weights namely) or in the wrong order; what comes after 6? No, it's not 9... :/

Girls who put on a full face of make up with highlighter included (I don't understand why) while leaving their long hair down (I know I'm going to get whipped by it at some point). They can normally be found doing bicep curls with 2lb weights.

My gym has a pretty young demographic, mostly students, which in turn means the instructors a pretty young and look bored most of the time. I'm definitely get in and get out asap member.

• jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    People who try to intimidate you into finishing your set quicker by sitting opposite you and staring at you. Also definitely people who don't unrack or put the plates in the wrong order. I'm a small woman, moving a 25kg plate is a workout in itself for me!

People who try to give you advice. An old man once told me that if I used less weight on the cable machine I could get much more reps *face palm*. Also had another gym bro telling me that I shouldn't lean forward when squatting when I was actually doing good mornings. If you're not my personal trainer please keep your advice to yourself.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    People who do supersets when the gym is busy and don't know what supersets are, they just hog 2 pieces of equipment. And people who don't de-rack their weights.

I swear most of the time there will be weights on a bar with nobody around, I don't know how to tell if someone just forgot to take the weights off or if they are doing some superset on the other side of the gym or went and got a drink of water or something. At least put a towel there or something.

I usually give it a couple minutes before I move in but I'm not exactly sure what the etiquette is. But if the gym is busy I have a low amount of patience for people.

I'll bite... what's a superset?

Doing 2 exercises of different muscle groups between sets so you basically rest one while you do the other. Good for saving time at the gym among other things. The problem is people tend to rest after every set which defeats the purpose.
  • marysabetournay
    marysabetournay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    people alternating between two machines so that you cant use them
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    People who do supersets when the gym is busy and don't know what supersets are, they just hog 2 pieces of equipment. And people who don't de-rack their weights.

I swear most of the time there will be weights on a bar with nobody around, I don't know how to tell if someone just forgot to take the weights off or if they are doing some superset on the other side of the gym or went and got a drink of water or something. At least put a towel there or something.

I usually give it a couple minutes before I move in but I'm not exactly sure what the etiquette is. But if the gym is busy I have a low amount of patience for people.

I'll bite... what's a superset?

Doing 2 exercises of different muscle groups between sets so you basically rest one while you do the other. Good for saving time at the gym among other things. The problem is people tend to rest after every set which defeats the purpose.

Okay, my trainer has me do this. I thought that's what it was, but I didn't want to sound like a buffoon and assume. Thanks for the reply! :wink:
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    mikeb4bjj wrote: »
    I got two:

(1) people using the squat rack for exercises that don't require it, like curls or bench press or some *kitten*.

(2) Extreme super-setters: you can't tie up more than 2 pieces of equipment at the same time. Sorry bruh, you don't own the gym, gotta make some sacrifices.

Using the squat rack for bench press is legit if you are doing heavy lifts and don't have a spotter - the stop pins can save your life if you miss a rep!

My per peeve is people who have their music blaring so loudly I can hear it over the earbuds I am wearing.
  • somemaineguy
    somemaineguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say people that don't wipe down the equipment when they are done. The other is people that spend a long time between sets on their phone. Others want to use the equipment as well.
  • chuckleberry72
    chuckleberry72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    When I drop candy all over the floor of my basement or worse, gym floor :s .. especially Nerds and Pixy Stix dust.. it's the worst.

I will pick it and blow it off for you. Or eat it in front of you. Depends on the moment.
  • chuckleberry72
    Options
    The young kids who think they are all that and a bag of chips.
  • chuckleberry72
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is the last couple times I was at the gym, I go at like midnight because I hate people, I had a group of 4-5 tall thicker guys who literally stayed within 15 feet of me and none of them were working out they we're just constantly looking at me. I told the guy at the desk that they were making me uncomfortable but nothing was done and they ended up leaving when I left. I like going to the gym and not feeling like I'm about to be a missing person..

Next time start itching uncontrollably while begging for this rash to go away. They will leave
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Oh--where to begin... I belong to a local YMCA because they have a pool, but ugh I kind of hate it overall...

So crowded. I realize that they are community-based and inclusive, but they really should do some capacity analysis on memberships because it's pretty cutthroat to be able to get a treadmill in January... Which leads me to hating the people who "save" a treadmill by putting their towels or gym bags on it and then wander off for 30 minutes or more. Seriously--I could have been done with my run in that time. I also hate the kids who camp out on treadmills (many times without the belt running) just so that they can watch television.

My biggest pet peeve is probably strong scents--whether it's perfume/deodorant or body odor because I have mild asthma and that triggers me.

I probably should just invest in a treadmill and workout in the comfort of my own home and only use the Y for my swim training.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    question for you guys...I always wipe down my mchines even when im not sweaty just doing weights...But i often just sort of do a quick wipe of wherever my body/feet touched with my towel...because i know its not sweaty or anything...Is that included in the annoyance of not cleaning? not cleaning well enough? Should i be doing it a full clean down everytime? Just curious hah
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    At least you’re clean up after yourself.

My favorite is when the old ladies come up and ask me to be quieter and not drop the weights.
    Let me gently set this clean and jerk down.

Also people who walk right next to you and you almost hit them with the weights.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Guys who pick a machine directly behind you(when there's plenty others to choose from) to watch you work out. They think they are being sneaky, but it's not fooling anyone and it's creepy. @chuckleberry72 , I like you're itchy rash idea, lol! That really is quite effective!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    ALL of the other people. Ever single one.

Also, those two women who hog the f’ing sinks in the bathroom doing their stupid hair and makeup so I have to awkwardly squeeze in between them when I have to pee in the mornings to access the sinks/soap/paper towels. Omg they irk me so much! :grumble:

There was a "lady" at the gym I was at who used to dry herself with the hairdryer......ALL of her....she put her leg on the counter to air dry her vajay.....im pretty sure she was banned after that....

There is a young girl at my gym that does her hair and makeup buck nekkid. I mean, I love that she is confident in her skin, but come on.... you can put some clothes on before doing your hair and makeup.
  • NatalieHarr1993
    NatalieHarr1993 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The "Mr know it all" that try to give you "Tips" who are 1: Using bad form themselves & 2: Training 1 same body part EVERY DAY!!!!!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    The "Mr know it all" that try to give you "Tips" who are 1: Using bad form themselves & 2: Training 1 same body part EVERY DAY!!!!!

LOL on that noteish its not really a gym peev i guess but sort of...guys who hear im into fitness and without even knowing what/how i eat tell me i need more protein...like excuse me you *kitten* does it seem like i dunno how to feed my body? am i dumb because im a girl or something in their mind? who gives advice with no info lol
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing the weight lifting circuit of machines and some random person jumps onto one of the machines. My gym has the same machines in the non-circuit part of the gym so I'm not sure why they use the circuit ones.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    question for you guys...I always wipe down my mchines even when im not sweaty just doing weights...But i often just sort of do a quick wipe of wherever my body/feet touched with my towel...because i know its not sweaty or anything...Is that included in the annoyance of not cleaning? not cleaning well enough? Should i be doing it a full clean down everytime? Just curious hah

I always worried about that, too, especially when I was doing circuit--spraying down and wiping down each piece of equipment immediately after each use (and especially when I wasn't even really sweaty) would double the time of working out!

I take it to mean that when people leave big puddles is when it is disgusting.

My husband is really good about wiping up after himself at the gym, even to the point of wiping down the kettle bells, medicine balls, and exercise balls--and he gets on his hands and knees to clean the side rails of the treadmill. What gives me the biggest laugh is when he wipes down the foam roller, always with a cheeky expression. :lol:

• rockmartin50
    rockmartin50 Posts: 1,747 Member
    Options
    interruptions and people not wiping down machines when finish using them