Breakfast ideas that don't include eggs, hot oatmeal, or yogurt?

Options
I know this is weirdly specific, but I have a problem. I'm trying to find something new to have for breakfast in the mornings that would fit into a ~300cal meal.

I can't do eggs when I wake up, they make me super nauseous. Hot oatmeal is a no-go right now, it's just not filling enough for me, and I've had nothing but homemade yogurt with granola for the past three months so that's out as well.

Last night I whipped up a batch of the Skinnytaste "Insanely Good Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins" and, while I'll eat them, they have the texture of regurgitated cat food. An alternate recipe for something similar would be great, some sort of low-cal whole-wheat fruit/cinnamon muffin.

Anyway, please toss any ideas that you have at me. I'd be forever grateful!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    protein enriched cereal for me. this morning i had 56g of cereal, 200 ml milk, 310 cals, 18g protein and its chocolate flavour so you get chocolate-y milk :grin:
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Look up Morning glory muffins. There are several variations, and some that are lower cal. than others, but they usually contain whole wheat, bran and or flax , fruit & nuts to bulk up the protein/fiber content. And, they are really flexible you can pretty much customize them however you want. they are always satisfying without that gross "diet" taste. I think this is pretty close to the recipe I use: myrecipes.com/recipe/morning-glory-muffins-2 The dates, walnuts, flax and pineapple can be subbed for whatever you prefer or have on hand.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I could have almost written this post.

I'm bored of oatmeal, hate the taste of eggs and have a strong dislike for yogurt.

I'm thinking it's time for chicken in the morning. Pre-cooked so I can just nuke it for a minute and eat. It would help with getting enough protein and be a change.

Gonna look at breakfast sausage as well. Just not sure I want the calories, but if it means I don't need a morning snack, that might work.

If you want a frugal option for that, my boyfriend roasts a 6lb chicken each week, cleans the meat off, freezes half, and just eats from it all week. And then you can make chicken stock with the bones. It's super easy, just pair it with any pre-made veg you happen to have.
  • 25lbsorbust
    edited January 2018
    Options
    bekah818 wrote: »
    Ezekiel Bread (I like it because it's low glycemic) or multi grain slice, toasted with avocado, tomato, and the cheese of your choice melted on top. MMmmmmm good lol

What's the texture of ezekiel bread like? I hear people raving about it, but also it's sprouted grains, right? So is it stringy? I'm scared haha.
    Look up Morning glory muffins. There are several variations, and some that are lower cal. than others, but they usually contain whole wheat, bran and or flax , fruit & nuts to bulk up the protein/fiber content. And, they are really flexible you can pretty much customize them however you want. they are always satisfying without that gross "diet" taste. I think this is pretty close to the recipe I use: myrecipes.com/recipe/morning-glory-muffins-2 The dates, walnuts, flax and pineapple can be subbed for whatever you prefer or have on hand.

Ooo, cookinglight has a banana version....

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why not skip breakfast and just eat later in the morning or break your fast at lunch?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    bekah818 wrote: »
    Ezekiel Bread (I like it because it's low glycemic) or multi grain slice, toasted with avocado, tomato, and the cheese of your choice melted on top. MMmmmmm good lol

What's the texture of ezekiel bread like? I hear people raving about it, but also it's sprouted grains, right? So is it stringy? I'm scared haha.

It isn't stringy at all. It's not at all like the sprouts I suspect you may be thinking of. The grains are sprouted, but they don't have any "tails" like with the sprouts you sometimes see in the produce section.

The texture is very much like other whole grain breads. You have the texture of the various grains embedded within the bread.
  • 25lbsorbust
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Why not skip breakfast and just eat later in the morning or break your fast at lunch?

Gotta eat to take my meds on the weekdays, and on the weekends I'm usually hiking 7+ miles in the early morning so not eating before that would end poorly for me I think... I've totally considered that, though.
  • evkelkis
    evkelkis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I end up having an apple sauce cup (50 cals) or raw almonds (160 cals) when I want something crunchy and then a coffee with creamer. The creamer has a lot of calories but coffee is a must for me most mornings so I trade off with a lighter calorie food.
  • CaptianCarla
    CaptianCarla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Skinny hash brown muffins - savory and only 79 calories each. Recipe at skinny kitchen.com
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Any bread, crackers, or toast you like with thinly sliced deli meat, a variety of cheeses, jam or jelly (or whole fruits), butter if you want it. You can assemble a tray, keep it in the fridge, and pull it out for breakfast each morning.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options

Ooo, cookinglight has a banana version....

[/quote]

Now I think I need to make these this weekend! I have cranberries, blueberries and orange zest on hand that would be delicious in there, LOL.