Breakfast ideas that don't include eggs, hot oatmeal, or yogurt?

Options

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast with bacon.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    justblakee wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    Well, once you realize that breakfast doesn't HAVE to be breakfast foods, that opens things up a whole lot more. There's no reason why you couldn't have last night's leftovers, a salad, some soup, whatever you like.

Yes, this- one of my favorite breakfast meals is salmon!

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is a pretty traditional breakfast in Scotland!

I really like a lot of asian cuisines, and they don't have separate foods for breakfast. Knock yourself out :)

@rockyhi512 - I find ~300kcal works great for me for breakfast. It's usually only a few hours until lunch. Each to their own :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rockyhi512 wrote: »
    Why are you limiting yourself to 300 calories for breakfast. Your body would appreciate a little more. you have just gone through 8 + hours without eating and now you think your body would be satisfied with a measly 300. Would you do the same if your last meal was at noon and next meal at 8 pm?. Part of the problem people have is that they are in a rush, and don't want to try and make decisions in the morning. Get everything ready for breakfast the night before. As for food make a toasted sandwich, mac & cheese, leftovers from the night before, but give yourself enough calorie room so that you can actually eat something.

300 calories is perfectly fine for breakfast, if that's how you like to allocate your calories. (I have lunch at noon and dinner at 9, and have had 300 cal dinners too, if I ate a bunch earlier in the day.)
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Why are you limiting yourself to 300 calories for breakfast. Your body would appreciate a little more. you have just gone through 8 + hours without eating and now you think your body would be satisfied with a measly 300. Would you do the same if your last meal was at noon and next meal at 8 pm?. Part of the problem people have is that they are in a rush, and don't want to try and make decisions in the morning. Get everything ready for breakfast the night before. As for food make a toasted sandwich, mac & cheese, leftovers from the night before, but give yourself enough calorie room so that you can actually eat something.

Wow, pls don't get so aggressive over someone else's choices. Food quality over food quantity, my homie.

• 25lbsorbust
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    what is the obsession with avocado on toast?

It's a perfect combination of flavour and texture, crunchy toast with soft creamy avocado, and better still with sliced sweet cherry tomatoes !

Bleh. Don't like avocado's

Yeah, I'm a frikken picky eater who should just grow up, but I'm also 52 and pretty much set in my ways as to what I like and don't like.

yyyyyyyyeah- I don't like avacado's straight up so I just don't get it- and I don't want crunchy things mushing with my slimy things- that seems... wrong.

I'm kind of in the same camp. They're fine, but there are some people who just eat a salted avocado for breakfast.. even if I wasn't mildly allergic, I'd still find that unappetizing.

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Well, once you realize that breakfast doesn't HAVE to be breakfast foods, that opens things up a whole lot more. There's no reason why you couldn't have last night's leftovers, a salad, some soup, whatever you like.

If you want to stick to "breakfast-type" foods, you could do waffles, pancakes, bagels, toast. If you're looking for more protein, you can make waffles and pancakes with protein powder.

https://pinchofyum.com/protein-pancakes

Yup... had a turkey cutlet the other day... yummy and filling
  • 25lbsorbust
    Options
    Polling the room, here... banana/egg pancakes.. anyone made them in advance and frozen them? Does it work?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Polling the room, here... banana/egg pancakes.. anyone made them in advance and frozen them? Does it work?

I have yet to make successful banana egg pancakes- so no, and no- which brings me to your last question- No.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Man. Sausages are evil.

Went to Costco last night and picked up a package. 330 cals per sausage. They were not that big. Put the package back down.
    Went to the frozen section and found some at ~ 150cals, then read the label and that was for 1/3 of a sausage. Seriously?

Found some turkey ones for 60 cals per sausage and bought them. Smaller than my thumb. Had 3 for breakfast, but they are pretty dry. Had to add Franks hot sauce.

I'll eat them, but this is not the final answer for me.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Man. Sausages are evil.

Went to Costco last night and picked up a package. 330 cals per sausage. They were not that big. Put the package back down.
    Went to the frozen section and found some at ~ 150cals, then read the label and that was for 1/3 of a sausage. Seriously?

Found some turkey ones for 60 cals per sausage and bought them. Smaller than my thumb. Had 3 for breakfast, but they are pretty dry. Had to add Franks hot sauce.

who eats 1/3 of a sausage??

That's like poptarts- a serving isn't the whole package. WHY THE HELL IS THE PACKAGE NOT ONE SERVING_ YOU KNOW WE ALL EAT THE WHOLE THING. JUST MAKE IT TWO POP TARTES!

#hatepeople
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Man. Sausages are evil.

Bacon. Bacon is your answer.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Man. Sausages are evil.

That's like poptarts- a serving isn't the whole package. WHY THE HELL IS THE PACKAGE NOT ONE SERVING_ YOU KNOW WE ALL EAT THE WHOLE THING. JUST MAKE IT TWO POP TARTES!

#hatepeople

I KNOW!

Surprised the Pop Tart label isn't for a 1/2 pastry.

Hmmm. Idea for a new thread.
  • LaurenD63
    LaurenD63 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I eat Cream of Wheat with a pinch of salt, pepper, and coconut oil for seasoning. Total cals are 160.
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    what is the obsession with avocado on toast?

It's a perfect combination of flavour and texture, crunchy toast with soft creamy avocado, and better still with sliced sweet cherry tomatoes ![/quote]

And even better with a couple of poached eggs, some spinach and black pepper. :smile:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Man. Sausages are evil.

#hatepeople

I KNOW!

Surprised the Pop Tart label isn't for a 1/2 pastry.

Hmmm. Idea for a new thread.

Probably before your time- but that thread did indeed exist at one point- it was .. um- fun!!! shall we say!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Regarding the mashed banana and egg pancake, another no. Bananas go black when frozen, and the texture changes. Perfectly fine for a smoothie or banana bread but gross in a pancake.

Making pancakes is an art. At least start with a decent batter so you build up your confidence.

There are so many ways a banana egg pancake can go wrong. Don’t mash the banana well enough and you get scrambled eggs with banana chunks. You also risk undercooked mush. Without flour you have a very delicate pancake which may break apart when flipping.

If you must give a banana egg pancake a go, beat the heck out of the banana in a blender before you start. Make sure the batter is of a pourable consistency. Adding a little flour would help. And please don’t freeze the leftovers.

With all the breakfast foods you dislike and your desire for a traditional breakfast, I think you are better off with a traditional fish based breakfast.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

People can skip breakfast and be just fine. 300 calories is fine if that is what suits the person. Some people like to eat just 1 large meal a day. There isn't one way of splitting calories that is right for everyone.
    I usually prelog my food every morningfor the whole day so I am making decisions even if I eat a granola bar while I do it.
    I choose to have 100-300 calories for breakfast between 8-10 AM because I don't feel super hungry early in the day. I am not a large man doing massive physical labor in the morning. I prefer to eat most of my calories later in the day. I eat about 400 calories around noon, 500-600 around 6 PM and have 100-300 for snacks in the afternoon or evening. Works for me.
  • jaxsmama123
    jaxsmama123 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake and a piece of fruit
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is just a label. You can eat the same thing you might eat for lunch or dinner, just in the morning. The important thing is making sure you stick around your calorie goal and make sure you meet your nutritional needs.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Someone may have already mentioned this (didn't get a chance to read all of the comments) but I eat my oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder. I buy rolled oats and flavor it with whatever protein I want. Right now I am using vanilla cream and I add 1/4 cup of frozen blueberries. It's so good and filling!.