people who correct unsignificant spelling/grammer errors

Options

Replies

• spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Can we get back to the funny pictures? Because this thread is soooo not the place for earnest debates/arguments about this stuff. It turned from a sly joke into something not amusing at all.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the comments on here but thought I'd mention it's against forum rules to comment on spelling errors. I got a warning from a mod for doing it once when I wasn't even doing it! I was trying to inform the person to read what they post as their auto-correct was making their sentances unreadable. Can't get help if no one can understand what you are saying right?!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    wow that's amazing I am truly a skimmer when I read I didnt even see your errors.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    PS language and syntax changes. Soon we will all be speaking in acronyms and brief spelling. LOLZ wut wut!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Can we get back to the funny pictures? Because this thread is soooo not the place for earnest debates/arguments about this stuff. It turned from a sly joke into something not amusing at all.

If you don't think the last few pages were amusing...

...I would suggest that you read them again...

...but this time, with the knowledge that rml_16 is on my FL.

(That doesn't make her any less wrong...

...but it makes the discussion less antagonistic.)
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options

If you don't think the last few pages were amusing...

...I would suggest that you read them again...

...but this time, with the knowledge that rml_16 is on my FL.

(That doesn't make her any less wrong...

...but it makes the discussion less antagonistic.)

Ok, well if it's fun for you guys, that's ok then... :)
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    insignificant*

I am a grammar Nazi but refrain from correcting on this website and any other forum for that matter.

I failed dismally at Maths and Chemistry so I had to excel at something ;)
  • Crazeemaz
    Options
    bump for later
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ...so just because you and some of your highfalutin publisher-types may *wish* two spaces were not acceptable, that does not simply make it so...

...at least not yet.

(But even if you *are* correct, stop. Just stop. I'm not read to deal with this amount of change in my life right now.)

You do whatever you need to do. :-)

I will sit here and judge you.

:angry:

Here is a long article explaining what she's going on about, but I'm sorry, I'm with you. Two spaces not only feels right, it looks right... to me. And I have a hard time believing it is now *widely* considered a violation on par with serious spelling and usage errors. This is the first rant I've seen about it and I work with people who handle our publications and correct their coworkers in other departments all the time.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

You may work with those people, but I actually get paid to edit documents and have for the last 10 years. I also have a degree in English literature and am familiar with several widely-used style manuals (including AP and Chicago). I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

Yes, there are still people holding on to the two spaces after a period thing, but those people are incorrect. Look at any professionally published book (NOT self-pubs), newspaper, magazine, etc., and you will not see two spaces.

Sorry this got too serious for you, though. :-) (And, yes, Jojo and I were mostly joking around.)
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    insignificant*

I am a grammar Nazi but refrain from correcting on this website and any other forum for that matter.

I failed dismally at Maths and Chemistry so I had to excel at something ;)

*twitch*
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    So if I'm speeding by 5ish MPH over the limit, but the officer is pretty sure I INTENDED to adhere to the limit, he should just let me go? How about in a school zone with kids crossing the street? Yes, like driving, bad grammar kills.
    Bad grammar is generally OK. It's bad punctuation that's dangerous.

Let's eat, Gramma.

Let's eat Gramma.

You spelt Grandma wrong.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So if I'm speeding by 5ish MPH over the limit, but the officer is pretty sure I INTENDED to adhere to the limit, he should just let me go? How about in a school zone with kids crossing the street? Yes, like driving, bad grammar kills.
    Bad grammar is generally OK. It's bad punctuation that's dangerous.

Let's eat, Gramma.

Let's eat Gramma.

You spelt Grandma wrong.
    I know. :-)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I was always taught to put two spaces after a sentence.

I always use two spaces. It makes the text easier to read.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are still people holding on to the two spaces after a period thing, but those people are incorrect.

"Incorrect" is a pretty strong statement for a language that doesn't even have an "academy" (not that that means much). Maybe a better description is "out of fashion" . . .
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    funny-gifs-norway.gif
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    tumblr_m9j44u9dUv1r2vq7do1_500.gif
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    tumblr_m9nne6JcPV1qzjfozo1_500.gif