Is Infrequent Weight Lifting Worthless?

Options
aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
I like weight lifting well enough, but there are things that I enjoy *more* (Zumba, swimming, yoga, etc). I have found a progressive resistance program I like (Starting Strength) that calls for 3 days a week. Many people on here also suggest 3-5 days of weight lifting.

Unfortunately, that's just not realistic for me (YET!). I can squeeze it in once (for sure) or twice (at most) a week. I do large compound movements (squat, DLs, bench, overhead presses), so it's not just auxiliary/isolation work.

I know that it won't HURT to lift, but is the difference between 1 or 2 times a week and 3 times a week significantly different in terms of strength building? I'm not looking for insane physique results, just to maybe start filling out some areas that were fat-filled before.

The plan is to move to working out more times a week, but I'm trying to be realistic with what I can do without burning out, which right now is about 4 times a week, so I'm having to prioritize.

Feed back would be much appreciated.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I believe studies have found that three times is optimal for newbies, but two will certainly allow you to make some gains. One time or less per week and you are going to have difficulty doing more than holding even.

Hit all your major muscle groups twice a week and you should be fine. When you can't, one time will still be better than nothing and keep you from going backwards.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I like weight lifting well enough, but there are things that I enjoy *more* (Zumba, swimming, yoga, etc). I have found a progressive resistance program I like (Starting Strength) that calls for 3 days a week. Many people on here also suggest 3-5 days of weight lifting.

Unfortunately, that's just not realistic for me (YET!). I can squeeze it in once (for sure) or twice (at most) a week. I do large compound movements (squat, DLs, bench, overhead presses), so it's not just auxiliary/isolation work.

I know that it won't HURT to lift, but is the difference between 1 or 2 times a week and 3 times a week significantly different in terms of strength building? I'm not looking for insane physique results, just to maybe start filling out some areas that were fat-filled before.

The plan is to move to working out more times a week, but I'm trying to be realistic with what I can do without burning out, which right now is about 4 times a week, so I'm having to prioritize.

It really depends on your current goal, are you looking to lose weight (cut) or gain muscle (bulk)?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    My feeling (someone correct me if I'm wrong), is that there is a meaningful difference between once a week and twice a week, with 2x being superior to 1x. If you're just looking to maintain muscle and get a little stronger, then there isn't a huge difference between 2x and 3x. If you are looking for faster results or more optimal training, then yes... 3x week seems to be the sweet spot for most.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've heard of a study that can put firm numbers to your question.
    Perhaps if you research the rate at which unused muscle atrophies, but even there it's not as if your muscles are unused. You're using them, just not lifting properly.

Lift properly when you lift. Don't stress if all your activities leave little opportunity to lift, though.
  • aeloine
    edited January 2018
    Options

It really depends on your current goal, are you looking to lose weight (cut) or gain muscle (bulk)?

Still cutting. Many more moons of cutting.
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    My feeling (someone correct me if I'm wrong), is that there is a meaningful difference between once a week and twice a week, with 2x being superior to 1x. If you're just looking to maintain muscle and get a little stronger, then there isn't a huge difference between 2x and 3x. If you are looking for faster results or more optimal training, then yes... 3x week seems to be the sweet spot for most.

Definitely what I was hoping for. I can manage 2x but 3x starts to get rough with everything else (for NOW). I'm working under the assumption that it'll eventually become more manageable as I adapt to it but I get *tired* and the DOMS have been hitting me really, really hard.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you are cutting, I would personally recommend 2x lifting and 2x cardio/abs per week. I'm also cutting and I do 3x per week of each and it has worked well. If 4x per week is your current workout, then I would split them in half.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say twice a week would be the minimum to make progress, especially to maintain muscle. I did 2-3x per week full body, 30 min each session after I had my son and it was enough for me to progress strength and physique-wise (maintain muscle as I lost fat).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've no experience with Starting Strength, but isn't it an A-B programme?
    If so wouldn't that mean all major lifts are not completed x2 a week, and finding a 2 day a week programme would be better.

I found, as an older woman, that I liked the AllPro format. It is laid out as a 3x week programme, but have also done it with the built in 2x built in variation, when needing an extra day of none lifting.

Hence my question.

As far as your cardio is concerned, again as an older woman, I found I had to drop higher intensity like Zumba, I was always tired, and pick back up aqua fit, casual swimming, rowing, and walking, all dependant on energy levels. Adding in a yoga class really helped with body alignment, awareness, and recovery.

Cheers, h.
    Not an expert so welcome feedback B)
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1x > 0x
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    2x will allow you to make progress. 3x will allow faster progress because it's 50% more workouts.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i've done starting strength and similar things on a 2x basis, and i don't think i stalled. i've also done quite a few phases of just the main lifts without any accessory work. my bottom line was: when life was running me ragged i don't think i had it in me to get the benefit of a 3x schedule anyway, so that single dropped workout was not as much of a loss to me, for the conditions that i was working under.

personally, my ideal schedule is still 3x a week. but it's ideal for me because i prioritize strength. for you, if you have other priorities then you can adjust accordingly.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I average about once a week with weights. I'm more of a swimmer or runner. I have held even on strength over the years and even improved by 5 lbs on a couple of exercises every now and then.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    surely if you do a split routine ie Legs - push - pull or chest/biceps - legs/shoulders - back/triceps

then you are only hitting one muscle group a week anyway .... so wouldnt in theory doing a full body once a week be the same ?

I dunno .. I do full body 3 days a week.
  • 18sacrifices
    18sacrifices Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It certainly won't hinder you. It sounds like you could probably lift at least x2 p/week more often than not so I would say go for it. Like the others have mentioned, you wont see massive strides in progression however as a bare minimum it'll do just fine.
  • aeloine
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I wouldn’t do SS twice a week. I would do a full body workout. That would be better for you. There are plenty out there if you google it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Isn't SS basically a full body work out? It's an A/B split with A: DL, Bench, Squat; B: DL, OH Press, Squat.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I wouldn’t do SS twice a week. I would do a full body workout. That would be better for you. There are plenty out there if you google it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Isn't SS basically a full body work out? It's an A/B split with A: DL, Bench, Squat; B: DL, OH Press, Squat.

Mostly, but not exactly. Bench and OHP are similar in some ways, but they don't work the same muscle groups. So doing SS 2x week will have you squatting 2x, DLing 2x, benching 1x, and OHPing 1x. There's also no upper body pull movements at all, which is my main gripe with SS as a full body program (though, accessory lifts can fill that gap).