Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have had butter on oatmeal before (back before tracking calories), but thought I was being weird for doing it (I don't think it's common around here anyway).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Oatmeal is a god-tier meal, so long as we're talking steel cut realness and not that Quaker boxed trash. I eat it nearly everyday, sometimes twice/day, and have so for as far back as I can recall. Once in a while I'll batch in the slow cooker but normally it's 5 containers on Sunday night in the fridge, each with some water and every morning I heat one up for 90 seconds, then add protein powder and greek yogourt, as well as some combo of ground flax, berries, chopped banana/apple, trail mix, etc. Easy, fast, tasty and satisfying.

I have never ever heard of anyone adding butter to it and just eating it like that, that sounds disgusting and counter to the purpose of eating something as clean and healthy as oatmeal, so OP you should try an adjustment in method and enjoy.

Rolled oats are as real as steel-cut oats, they're just rolled flat. I'm not sure why Quaker oats would be "trash."

Protein, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, iron -- 1/4 cup of oats has the same nutritional value for these whether they're rolled or steel-cut.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have my oatmeal with a bunch of cinnamon. I don't measure it. For sweetening I use either honey or sucralose.

That's the simple way.

A more complicated way I tried, and it works well, is to make overnight oats using 1-cup mason jars containing 1 150 -cal serving of old-fashioned or steel-cut oatmeal, 4 oz of kefir, cinnamon, and I also add blueberries. This fills the jar. I close the lid and leave it out overnight. The kefir organisms warm up and spend the night chewing on the oatmeal transforming it into a subtly delicious meal. Since it does not need refrigeration, you can store it in all kinds of places. I haven't tried letting it sit out more than 1 night. The kefir is 54 calories and the oatmeal is 150, so that's 204 before the blueberries, but really you can't get much more in the jar so 250-300 is tops for the jar of oatmeal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Oatmeal is a god-tier meal, so long as we're talking steel cut realness and not that Quaker boxed trash. I eat it nearly everyday, sometimes twice/day, and have so for as far back as I can recall. Once in a while I'll batch in the slow cooker but normally it's 5 containers on Sunday night in the fridge, each with some water and every morning I heat one up for 90 seconds, then add protein powder and greek yogourt, as well as some combo of ground flax, berries, chopped banana/apple, trail mix, etc. Easy, fast, tasty and satisfying.

I have never ever heard of anyone adding butter to it and just eating it like that, that sounds disgusting and counter to the purpose of eating something as clean and healthy as oatmeal, so OP you should try an adjustment in method and enjoy.

Rolled oats are as real as steel-cut oats, they're just rolled flat. I'm not sure why Quaker oats would be "trash."

Protein, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, iron -- 1/4 cup of oats has the same nutritional value for these whether they're rolled or steel-cut.

Yup.

I like the texture of steel cut much more (I'm weird about cereals), but I don't think it's nutritionally superior and wish their trendiness would go away. I feel like a hipster whose favorite band gets popular. ;-)

Also unclear on why oats are "clean" or why butter is less clean than yogurt or protein powder, but we probably should not go there!
  • Maddi7110
    Maddi7110 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal keeps me full through a morning workout until about 8:30 a.m. I put a teaspoon of natural peanut butter, a dash of almond milk and a banana in it! Yumm! Favorite meal of the day! I sometimes want to eat it for dinner!
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Are you really pretending I was only comparing steel cut to rolled? The strawmans are low effort, you can surely do better. Quaker instant oats, the trash that is all sugared up and flavored, is the usual understanding of oatmeal to the average person.

No, it is not.

This tall can thing is what I always think of: http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/old-fashioned-oats.aspx. It's what my parents bought. I prefer steel cut, but the regular Quaker (they make steel cut too) is pretty classic.

Also, instant oats do NOT all have sugar and flavors added. I bought a box of McCann's quick and easy (they have instant too) by mistake once, and the ingredients were "oats." Instant is just about how fine it's cut. Ruins the texture, IMO, but doesn't mean anything is added.
    By clean it's the feeling of what you're eating

New definition to add to the list.
    if you feel the same way after eating a bowl of oatmeal with a stick of butter as opposed to a bowl of oatmeal with greek yogourt and protein powder, then kudos to you, I don't.

I don't eat oats with butter, but I'm pretty sure OP said nothing about using a whole stick.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I make my oatmeal with quinoa for the extra protein. For toppings, has anyone suggested runny egg? I mix my oatmeal with runny eggs, and black pepper. I also like parmesan cheese, black pepper, a little salt and sun dried tomatoes.

Another favorite of mine is mixing it with chopped up Granny Smith apples, cinnamon, sugar and walnuts.
  • MadisonJay64
    MadisonJay64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love putting apple and cinnamon with my oats, doesn't add many calories and it adds the sweetness and a bit more texture :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    One more opinion. When I think of oats, I think of Quaker rolled oats in a round container. I actually buy Grandma's brand of organic because
    They are cheaper than regular Quaker where I shop. I take them home, put them in the blender, which changes the texture and makes them
    "Instant" and put them back in the box.

As far as "clean" I've always wondered what that means.
    I don't see how butter and yogurt can differ in how "clean" they are. Unless you think butter is cleaner, because nothing is added to milk to
    Make it, and starter is added to yogurt. Or maybe salted butter isn't clean because of the salt. It seems to me processed protein powder would
    Definitely be the least clean of the three, but again, what is the definition of "clean"?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Who is Michael Shermer? Maybe I don't know because I went to public school.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    One funny thing is that Quaker chose its logo basically to promote its "cleanness." Specifically (from wiki):
    The Quaker Oats logo starting in 1877 had a figure of a Quaker man depicted full-length, sometimes holding a scroll with the word "Pure" written across it, that resembling the classic woodcuts of William Penn, the 17th-century philosopher and early Quaker. Quaker Oats advertising dating back to 1909 did, indeed, identify the "Quaker man" as William Penn, and referred to him as "standard bearer of the Quakers and of Quaker Oats." Today, the company states that "The 'Quaker man' does not represent an actual person. His image is that of a man dressed in Quaker garb, chosen because the Quaker faith projected the values of honesty, integrity, purity and strength."

Also (same source -- see wiki for the citations):
    In 2012, the company enlisted the firm of Hornall Anderson to give the 'Quaker man' a slimmer, somewhat younger look. The man is now sometimes referred to as "Larry" by insiders at Quaker Oats....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is my breakfast of choice now and when I was diabetic. It never spiked my blood sugar and I find it very satisfying. I suspect the soluble fiber and the added yogurt helps slow it down.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    First, never eat those instant oatmeal packets. Loads of sugar.
    Here is what I do and everyone in the family, even the dedicated oatmeal haters love it.
    In a slow cooker, set on low, before I go to bed:
    6 cups water
    2 cups steel cut oats.
    2 apples, peeled and cored, diced into 1/2” size pieces
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    Cinnamon to taste
    1 table spoon vanilla

Just dump everything into cooker, stir it up a bit and go to bed.

You’ll awake to amazing aromas and wholesome goodness. Keeps in airtight container in frig for up to a week.

Tip..I used to buy that Irish oats in a can. Good stuff but spendy. Steel cut is steel cut so I buy mine in bulk, keeps a long time.
    It’s amazing and no added sugar. Stores really well so the next day it can be easily warmed in microwave

@nkovacs53804 Unfortunately I've never been able to find any dried cranberries without sugar..do they exist or are they all simple made with added sugar in the processing? Please say they're out there and I just haven't come upon them yet! :laugh: ;)

Your recipe sounds wonderful and I can imagine the aroma it gives off overnight... appreciate you sharing it.. Now back to my cranberry dilemma. :'(:#

I usually use pomegranate seeds or blueberries in my oatmeal but both are now out of season. I can still find blueberries, but I don't want to pay $7.00 a pint for them!

I just bought some Craisins with reduced sugar, and 1/4 cup is 100 calories. It's still a lot of calories compared to berries--I'm not going to use 1/4 cup--I will probably use more like 1/8 or 1/16. For less than 100 calories you could put in a small banana or apple.

ETA: This whole idea of "clean" eating is just hilarious to me. I'm lactose intolerant. I can eat butter with no adverse effects. I have never tried greek yogurt, but I get intestinal distress from non-greek yogurt. So if it contains lactose, to me it is anything BUT clean!! TMI. :p
  • gothoats
    gothoats Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Spices, extracts, sugar free syrups..that's the way to go! Or even powders like matcha or cocoa
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    First, never eat those instant oatmeal packets. Loads of sugar.
    Here is what I do and everyone in the family, even the dedicated oatmeal haters love it.
    In a slow cooker, set on low, before I go to bed:
    6 cups water
    2 cups steel cut oats.
    2 apples, peeled and cored, diced into 1/2” size pieces
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    Cinnamon to taste
    1 table spoon vanilla

Just dump everything into cooker, stir it up a bit and go to bed.

You’ll awake to amazing aromas and wholesome goodness. Keeps in airtight container in frig for up to a week.

Tip..I used to buy that Irish oats in a can. Good stuff but spendy. Steel cut is steel cut so I buy mine in bulk, keeps a long time.
    It’s amazing and no added sugar. Stores really well so the next day it can be easily warmed in microwave

@nkovacs53804 Unfortunately I've never been able to find any dried cranberries without sugar..do they exist or are they all simple made with added sugar in the processing? Please say they're out there and I just haven't come upon them yet! :laugh: ;)

Your recipe sounds wonderful and I can imagine the aroma it gives off overnight... appreciate you sharing it.. Now back to my cranberry dilemma. :'(:#

I usually use pomegranate seeds or blueberries in my oatmeal but both are now out of season. I can still find blueberries, but I don't want to pay $7.00 a pint for them!

I just bought some Craisins with reduced sugar, and 1/4 cup is 100 calories. It's still a lot of calories compared to berries--I'm not going to use 1/4 cup--I will probably use more like 1/8 or 1/16. For less than 100 calories you could put in a small banana or apple.

ETA: This whole idea of "clean" eating is just hilarious to me. I'm lactose intolerant. I can eat butter with no adverse effects. I have never tried greek yogurt, but I get intestinal distress from non-greek yogurt. So if it contains lactose, to me it is anything BUT clean!! TMI. :p

Can you get frozen berries wherever you are? I find other than the height of blueberry season, frozen are cheaper than fresh. And if you don't want to cook them with your oats and turn them purple you can just rinse them under running water to thaw them out and then add them. I personally get a kick out of lavender oats :lol:
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ^ The frozen ones are $6.00 a bag. I guess that's a little better than fresh out of season in terms of price.

I think nice week I'm just going to buy some extra apples. I really loved the pomegranate seeds because they were tart.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Ah, expensive berries is a bummer.