Would you wear a fanny pack?

Fitwithsci
Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
Would you wear a fanny pack, not just for working out, but in social settings? As a man it isn't exactly socially acceptable to carry a purse (not a fan of satchels), nor do I have the desire to do so, but I also hate having things in my pockets. A fanny pack would allow me to carry keys, my wallet, phone, pocket knife when needed, etc. hands-free without having to load the limited capacity of my pockets and restrict my movement. I am curious to hear your thoughts on this, particularly the men who historically have not had the luxury of purses. #bringbackthepack

Replies

• CaptainFantastic00
    CaptainFantastic00 Posts: 4,619 Member
    Yeah bro, let's THE ROCK it
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    No
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I see lots of guys carry bags like these:
    messenger-bag.jpg
    man-murses-purses-gal-ronaldo_snsicr
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    it you can pass if off as a briefcase type bag (top) you are good

bottom, not so much IMO
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I'd wear a utility belt and a codpiece before I wore a fanny pack.

Pics please
  • Elle_Marie_Fit
    Elle_Marie_Fit Posts: 138 Member
    Honestly, I really do not like fanny packs on men or women. Cross Body satchels can look really, really cool on a man. I get that carrying a bag is a pain though. There are some waisted pouches that are flatter and slightly less gut-like that can be worn towards the side..... I don't think I would be comfortable wearing them though. BUT you get to do whatever you want. :)
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Lol. How big are your wallet and cell-phone that you'd consider a fanny pack? I'm not a fan of having things in my pockets either, but I'd think it'd be more convenient than lugging around a man-purse. I mean satchel. Unless you're Jack Bauer. Then it's cool.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    I wear one every day to the gym and at work. I work in schools but do nor have my own room or office, so I have to carry what I need. A shoulder bag is just way too impractical.
    Get a military style one and you'll look like you are carrying important things. But if you are in an area wherepuckpockets are common, get one tbat gows underyour clothes. Fanny packs that stick out are very easy to cut and run, or even just get into.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    I do when on vacation to carry camera gear and stuff. I use one while hunting too for shells, bird bag, etc. Daily though, nope.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Hell yeah! They're super convenient for short hikes when I don't want to wear my backpack. I don't on a day-to-day basis, but there are definitely appropriate fannypack occasions, in my opinion.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Don't carry enough on me to need anything like, but if I did I'd probably opt for a small backpack instead.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    edited February 2018
    I don't know. I hate carrying a purse but I do because pockets are not adequate. I have the smallest purse I could get. A fanny/waist pack could be nice sometimes.
    My dh uses amessenger bag almost every day or a backpack. He also has pants with lots of pockets and has worn vests with lots of pockets.
    Get a fanny pack or something that matches the color of your clothing I guess and stop caring what others think. Be the change you want to see.
  • fairyfootsteps40
    fairyfootsteps40 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2018
    Yep n the UK we call a fanny pack a bum bag, a bum bag i dont know why, a fanny pack is worse we call a foo foo, lady garden, a vagina a fanny, vulgar I know there are worse names it is called.....anyway I don't know why they are not just called belly bags.
    To answer I don't think they are the nicest things to wear but I suppose under a top so no one can see or just opt for a backpack.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    No
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    edited February 2018
    I have one, but not the big stand out poofy 90's (?) type. It's really flat, almost stretchy. Fits my phone, keys for when I go walking. It's so flat it fits under your shirt with no bulge. I like it.

I'd have to look later, but this might be the one I have. axq2re299597.jpeg
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I'd wear a utility belt and a codpiece before I wore a fanny pack.

What is a codpiece??