What food is the most satiating for you?

Options
What food or types of foods do you find fill you up and satisfy you the longest? I guess this would be what people used to call "stick with you" foods :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    All of them! For me, balanced and varied meals, foods from all the food groups, ususally home cooked dinners, is what I prefer, both for taste and for satiety. Food shouldn't just fill my stomach, I want the sensation of being satisfied on a cellular level, new age as that sounds. I'm not worried about staying full - I accept and appreciate hunger before meals. While losing weight, I reduced carbs a bit, now I'm very close to MFP's default macro split.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A mix of foods more than any one food. But I tend to structure my eating pattern around 3 full meals, so they are inherently mixed.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My favorite thing to have for a meal is just some type of meat, a vegetable, and potato. It’s not the most cost effective way to eat though
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    salmon & broccoli... not my favorite meal, and I probably only eat it a few times a month, but always filling.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    avocado...if I know I'm not going to eat for a long time, that one keeps me feeling full.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter makes me happy :heart: Until I see how small a serving really is, then I'm sad :cry:

But truthfully, once I started paying attention to my macros it was pretty easy to see I prefer a higher-fat diet. My macro split is fairly balanced at 40C/30F/30P but in reality I usually meet or exceed my fat goal, make a concerted effort to hit protein (usually but not always succeeding) and let carbs fill in the rest. Left to my own devices I'd probably eat 35 - 40% fat, but at the expense of protein so I don't.
  • opalastrophel
    opalastrophel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Heavy grains! I've been on a baked oatmeal kick (instead of stirring it in a pot, just mix the grains and milk in a baking dish with the toppings and throw it in the oven for 30-45 minutes)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fiber, protein. In that order.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Typically things like legumes, lentils, potatoes, oats, etc...
  • aylerz
    aylerz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bean-based soups are my go-to if I have started to notice I'm snacking too much between meals. Plus, you can make a big pot in the crockpot and it makes for great work lunches.

If I'm in a hurry after work, I recently discovered that I LOVE deli meat (go to the deli counter and choose a meat that's grass-fed and/or low sodium, and get it fresh cut), Tillamook cheese squares (I'm a fan of the Colby Jack and Medium Cheddar), and cucumber slices. Serving size will depend on your personal needs, but I usually go with 4 oz. of meat, 4 cheese squares, and about a cup of cucumber slices. Lots of protein, good calorie count, and keeps me full until breakfast.
  • hannahrlocke2095
    Options
    I love boiled eggs in the morning. They always keep me feeling full. And I usually make baked asparagus at night, tossed in a little olive oil and topped with a bit of Parmesan cheese. I could eat that with any protein.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    For me it's starchy carbs and fiber. Potatoes and high fiber tortillas with beans or avocado are awesome!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Protein and potatoes together. That seems to keep me the longest
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    The one food? Oatmeal - Proats, specifically. 40 grams of old fashioned rolled oats, protein powder, almond milk, and some sort of berry will keep me full for hours.