What food is the most satiating for you?

Options

Replies

• ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    (Real) oatmeal with peanut butter (sometimes milk instead of water) is the only thing that will keep me satiated for hours in the morning.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • azkabanned
    azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Red meat and rice.

Fish and chicken despite having a lot of protein and fat, just isn’t as satisfying as steak, I’ll eat and eat and eat and still be hungry. I also had trouble feeling full eating eggs, 3 boiled eggs and a bowl of oatmeal at breakfast but still hungry.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Fat and protein. Carbs will fill me up but I get hungry again in a short period of time after eating carbs.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    white potatoes for me
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    potatoes
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    beer... haha. Not even kidding. I have 3 beers, I don't need dinner.

But food, anytime I have a veg and a protein - I'm good.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Dr. Joel Furman says eating optimally nutrition food in combination to catalyze their nutritional properties eliminates toxic hunger, so I'm on the GBOMBS diet. bitter Greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Pasta with a veg and an egg mixed in. 54g of dry pasta puffs up really well and is rib-stickin' good!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Protein is a must.

After that, I just try to balance out my needs. I like veggies, and they help give me volume without taking up too many of my precious calories. I find I recover from my workouts better when I make sure I get some good carbs in there. Fats obviously to keep things balanced. Fiber helps with feeling full and other things as well.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    For me it's starchy carbs and fiber. Potatoes and high fiber tortillas with beans or avocado are awesome!

Same for me - and roast veggies like butternut, peppers and zucchini
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    .. I must be doing Oatmeal wrong because it keeps me full maybe one hour.

For me it really depends on the time of the month, but typically apples is what works best (especially with a piece of cheese).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Some of the worst foods ...

Oatmeal
    Toast with honey
    Nuts
    Pears

Some of the better foods ...

Brown rice ... for some reason it satisfies me better than other rices
    Veggies
    Chicken
    Toast with cheese
    Yogurt

There's a slow cooker thing I put together with chicken mince, chickpeas, and heaps of veggies and I serve it over brown rice ... that is filling and keeps me full for a long time.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any protein or fat. Carbs eaten alone (starchy veg, grains, or sweets) leave me hungrier than when I started.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Definitely potatoes and beans. Rice is good for a quick filler, but it does not keep me as full as long.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Vegetables fill me up super fast, but don't stick around super long so I eat them with almost every meal. I find that salmon is the absolute most satiating thing I eat. It fills me up very quickly and keeps me full for hours.

My favorite veggies that fill me up super fast are roasted cauliflower or broccoli.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    For me it's eggs. I stay full for hours and they're so satisfying for me. Love omelettes!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Oatmeal (only when made with milk), apples, potatoes, legumes, bread and eggs, all kinds of sandwiches, meals bulked up with vegetables, rice with some kind of stew, semolina porridge, grains in general when paired with protein and vegetables.

Although some foods are satiating on their own to me (potatoes, apples), most foods are satiating in a combination that includes a starch, some protein (doesn't need to be a lot), and a little bit of fat. More fat only adds to calories, but not satiety, but completely fat-free is not very satisfying to me. Vegetables are odd because I find them very satisfying in a meal but not on their own, so a huge salad would make me feel like my stomach is full but I can still feel hungry, so adding beans or grains and feta to the salad and a teaspoon of olive oil does the trick. If a meal doesn't have a starch I find I need a lot more food to stop feeling hungry, so meat and non-starchy vegetables is a recipe for scouring the fridge 15 minutes later.
  • ayesha639
    ayesha639 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to have a big problem with granola, I could eat it by the bucket. I love cereal in general really. Now I eat puffed wheat cereal with almond milk and a little sweetener and it's low enough calorie that I can have a pretty decent serving, and it satisfies my cereal craving