Recommendations needed for sweet sources of protein

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Does Greek yogurt have a similar texture to other kinds of yogurts? For whatever reason, yogurt sets off my gag reflex, which stinks because it’s delicious.

I really don't like regular yogurt but I do like Greek, you also might need to try a couple of brands since they will have slightly different textures.

Honestly, to get more than 20g of protein in less than 200 cals, all I can think of is making something with protein powder. Like a shake or protein fluff, or cookies or something like that. Even if you get an artificially sweetened Greek yogurt you'd need to eat more than a single serving cup to get over 20g, or stir in some PB powder or protein powder, at least the brands I'm familiar with.

Yeah, I’ve been looking at “fortified” options like bars and shakes. There are just too many options!

Someone else mentioned Trutein puddings, I'm not a big pudding person but I got a free sample once and it was really good. If you search "protein fluff" and "protein pancakes" and "protein cookie" here I bet you'll get some good ideas! I know I've seen threads about them before. I've also seen recipes on FB for no bake cookies and fudge using protein powder.

Fortified protein products are tough without trying them, it seems a powder or bar one person likes, another will hate :lol: Myself, I like Trutein, and Fitjoy bars, also some One bars. I like Quest but they murder my stomach.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Does Greek yogurt have a similar texture to other kinds of yogurts? For whatever reason, yogurt sets off my gag reflex, which stinks because it’s delicious.

I really don't like regular yogurt but I do like Greek, you also might need to try a couple of brands since they will have slightly different textures.

Honestly, to get more than 20g of protein in less than 200 cals, all I can think of is making something with protein powder. Like a shake or protein fluff, or cookies or something like that. Even if you get an artificially sweetened Greek yogurt you'd need to eat more than a single serving cup to get over 20g, or stir in some PB powder or protein powder, at least the brands I'm familiar with.

Yeah, I’ve been looking at “fortified” options like bars and shakes. There are just too many options!

That just means you get to try them all! :)

Protein fluff is really easy to make, and has the consistency of pudding. Here's a recipe I found somewhere, which I sometimes use:

Almond Joy Fluff:

1 scoop Vanilla casein whey

8 oz (1 cup) low-fat milk (or almond/coconut milk) 

5g Cocoa powder

1/4 tsp Almond extract

1/4 tsp Xanthan gum

Toppings:
5g Mini chocolate chips

5g Sliced almonds

Combine all dry ingredients first in mixing bowl. Add liquids and mix with a spoon until combined. Using an electric mixer with a whisk on its highest setting, whip mixture for at least 5 minutes, 10 minutes max. Scrape fluff into bowl (or eat directly from the mixing bowl like I do when I'm not taking a picture to share online), add toppings, and enjoy!

I’m getting hungry!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Also, quest, I think its quest, either them or optimum nutrition makes these cake bits now. You can buy them at Walmart. I have not tried them yet. Thought about getting them next time I go but I'm pretty stocked on the bars right now. Lol

Thank you! I will keep an eye out for both of those options.

ETA: I found them on amazon and they look like they would go great with my evening glass of red wine, too. I’ll definitely give those a try.

Cool. Let me know how you like them. I might try them when I get through some of these bars. I found the pure protein ones at less than half price at ocean state and loaded up. Boxes of 6 for $3.49. Lol
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Ok, i know you said pre-made, but these are mix and freeze and cut. Inexpensive too. 9 protein, 5 carb 6.2 fat if you cut into 16 pieces. And, they truly taste like Girl Scout thin mint cookies

Ingredients
    3/4 Cup vanilla whey protein (two servings)
    1 serving unflavored whey protein
    1 Cup cashews
    10 dates
    1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa
    1/2 tsp peppermint extract
    1/4 Cup almond milk

Directions
    Mix dates in food processor.
    Mix in cashews.
    Mix in all other ingredients until sticky ball forms.
    Put in 9 x 9 dish and freeze for 15 minutes
    To make chocolate version replace peppermint with chocolate extract. Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa. And 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I put cottage cheese, chocolate protein powder, peanut butter/PB2, a little vanilla and some sweetener in the blender. It’s pretty close to thick protein (cottage cheese is smooth after blending). My particular combo of cottage cheese and protein powder comes out to 296 calories and 45g protein for about a cup-ish.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There’s a high protein low fat cheese cake recipe in the food an nutrition thread. I haven’t tried it yet but it has rave reviews
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Ohhhh.... this is what I need! What brand?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ...Even if you get an artificially sweetened Greek yogurt you'd need to eat more than a single serving cup to get over 20g, or stir in some PB powder or protein powder, at least the brands I'm familiar with.
    Dannon Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt is 15g of protein per serving cup (5.3 oz. / 120 calories). And it's one of my favorites taste-wise. So not quite 20g per serving, but reasonably close. I mix in 30g of Fiber One cereal with it (60 cal, 2g protein) and you have a fairly filling snack for 180 calories and 17g protein.
  • kimny72
    Options
    Enjcg5 wrote: »

Ohhhh.... this is what I need! What brand?

Hmmm what brand of what? I like Oikos triple zero greek yogurt when I don't have $ and Fage when I do. I normally buy flavored and don't mix anything in, but I know other people who buy plain and mix in PB2 or protein powder.

If you mean protein powder I prefer Trutein. It's a combo of whey, casein, and egg protein. It has yummy dessert flavors, seems to fill me up more, and you can buy samples to try flavors.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

It depends on the serving. As I mentioned earlier I prefer Fage for my Greek yogurt -- the "Total 0%" nonfat kind -- and by itself it may not serve OP because I eat it plain and it's not particularly sweet.

However, they list the serving size for their 1 kg container at 227g. This gets you 23g of protein in 130 calories, according to the label. If you buy the single-serving containers, they're 170g, which gets you 18g of protein in 100 calories.

Either way I think you have room to add something sweet and still keep you under 200 cal for 20g of protein.
  • rutzsa
    rutzsa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Premier protein drinks at Walmart or Sams Club has 30grams of protein for 160 calories and either 0 or 1 net carbs. Comes in vanilla, chocolate, carmel, straberries and cream, and banana
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...If you mean protein powder I prefer Trutein. It's a combo of whey, casein, and egg protein. It has yummy dessert flavors, seems to fill me up more, and you can buy samples to try flavors.
    I was on the Trutein train for quite a while. I still like it, but I've gone to Quest because I can buy it locally. Their cinnamon toast crunch flavor is really good! Quest is casein, whey and MPI (milk protein isolate), so still a blend like Trutein.
  • kimny72
    edited February 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...If you mean protein powder I prefer Trutein. It's a combo of whey, casein, and egg protein. It has yummy dessert flavors, seems to fill me up more, and you can buy samples to try flavors.
    I was on the Trutein train for quite a while. I still like it, but I've gone to Quest because I can buy it locally. Their cinnamon toast crunch flavor is really good! Quest is casein, whey and MPI (milk protein isolate), so still a blend like Trutein.

Haven't tried the Quest yet because I tend to stock up when I buy, but I can't wait to try it i haven't heard anyone yet who doesn't like it.
  • ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    How about a protein smoothie?

My go-to post workout smoothie has 33g of protein. For me, it's a bit much for late night, but if you have a couple of hours to spare before bed, it might be worth a shot.

Chocolate Protein Smoothie:

2 Tbsp, Natural Peanut Butter
    0.25 cup(20g), Quick Oats
    1 cup, Spinach - Raw
    1 tbsp (7g), Brown Flax, Ground
    0.50 cup, Almond Milk - Vanilla - Unsweetened
    1 cup, Ice
    2 scoops, Organic Whey Protein

Macronutrients - 25g F, 30g C, 33g P

I used to make it with PB2 but, after my PB2 went rancid, I switched to standard peanut butter and found that I preferred its texture - particularly since I have a banana intolerance.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Protein shake plus whatever you want to make it sweeter.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with frozen cherries, unsweetened coconut and dark chocolate, not quite 20g but close.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,426 Member
    Options
    Maybe make teriyaki chicken sticks? Teriyaki is very easy to make yourself depending on where you live. You control the amount of sugar in it and caramelise the chicken (or salmon) to your liking.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    There’s a high protein low fat cheese cake recipe in the food an nutrition thread. I haven’t tried it yet but it has rave reviews

I was going to say protein cheesecake. There's a huge thread dedicated to the above with lots of different ideas and variations AND pictures. I've tried several different ones with all the protein powders that I have. Very yummy and satisfying. I had the thread bookmarked but had to stop because I kept baking cheesecake all the time. Eventually that doesn't lead to a good place even if it is healthy and all. :D