Recommendations needed for sweet sources of protein

Options
I’m looking to add maybe 20-40 grams of protein to my diet in the form of an end-of-the-day sweet-tooth-satisfying snack, ideally around 100-200 calories total. There are a lot of options out there, so any opinions on pre-made products would be awesome. Making my own is not on the table for now, unfortunately. Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sure you're not just adding difficulty? Sweet stuff is sugary, proteiny(??) food is savory. Can't you rearrange? Or is it okay to combine? I used to eat cheese/nuts/nut butter+fruit (and some vegs but you can leave that out) as the last meal of the day.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Sure you're not just adding difficulty? Sweet stuff is sugary, proteiny(??) food is savory. Can't you rearrange? Or is it okay to combine? I used to eat cheese/nuts/nut butter+fruit (and some vegs but you can leave that out) as the last meal of the day.

I’ve got kind of a weird eating set up that I don’t want to mess with any more than I have to, and I already eat a lot cheese and nuts and fruit - along with cured meats and crackers and veggies that’s basically all I eat before dinner, and sometimes it’s dinner, too. I think trying to find a sweet supplement might be the least intrusive change I can make.

ETA: there’s more detail in the Peppered Angus thread.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You could use protein powder to make cookies.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with nut butters and cocoa or pb2, sweetened w/ truvia. Pb2 oatmeal sweetened with truvia, with pb and Choc chips melted on top.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Does Greek yogurt have a similar texture to other kinds of yogurts? For whatever reason, yogurt sets off my gag reflex, which stinks because it’s delicious.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    I’m loving the nut butter and chocolate combos, though.
  • mikeb4bjj
    mikeb4bjj Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Put stevia on your eggs.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like to mix chocolate protein powder with peanut butter (and oatmeal if I have the carbs). It's like a no-bake cookie.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Does Greek yogurt have a similar texture to other kinds of yogurts? For whatever reason, yogurt sets off my gag reflex, which stinks because it’s delicious.

Most Greek yogurt is a bit thicker than regular yogurt.

If you find liquids satiating, you could also try a protein shake made with casein protein and low-fat milk rather than whey protein - casein is thicker and makes more of a milkshake consistency, where whey is more watery.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I eat a pure protein bar every night as "dessert". 200 cal, 20 protein. chocolate salted caramel, dark chocolate coconut and smores are my favorites.

If you liked Greek yogurt, I sometimes do vanilla Greek yogurt with 5g each of mini chocolate chips, coconut, and walnuts instead. But mostly the bars.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    Guavas have some protein, but not complete protein.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I really don't like regular yogurt but I do like Greek, you also might need to try a couple of brands since they will have slightly different textures.

Honestly, to get more than 20g of protein in less than 200 cals, all I can think of is making something with protein powder. Like a shake or protein fluff, or cookies or something like that. Even if you get an artificially sweetened Greek yogurt you'd need to eat more than a single serving cup to get over 20g, or stir in some PB powder or protein powder, at least the brands I'm familiar with.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Also, quest, I think its quest, either them or optimum nutrition makes these cake bites now. You can buy them at Walmart. I have not tried them yet. Thought about getting them next time I go but I'm pretty stocked on the bars right now. Lol
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I really don't like regular yogurt but I do like Greek, you also might need to try a couple of brands since they will have slightly different textures.

Honestly, to get more than 20g of protein in less than 200 cals, all I can think of is making something with protein powder. Like a shake or protein fluff, or cookies or something like that. Even if you get an artificially sweetened Greek yogurt you'd need to eat more than a single serving cup to get over 20g, or stir in some PB powder or protein powder, at least the brands I'm familiar with.

Yeah, I’ve been looking at “fortified” options like bars and shakes. There are just too many options!
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    It thicker. When they strain it -- this is what makes it "Greek" -- it removes much of the liquid.

My favorite is Fage. Tried Chobani for the first time the other day, and it tasted like pickles. Not quite what I was hoping for.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Also, quest, I think its quest, either them or optimum nutrition makes these cake bits now. You can buy them at Walmart. I have not tried them yet. Thought about getting them next time I go but I'm pretty stocked on the bars right now. Lol

Thank you! I will keep an eye out for both of those options.

ETA: I found them on amazon and they look like they would go great with my evening glass of red wine, too. I’ll definitely give those a try.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Also, quest, I think its quest, either them or optimum nutrition makes these cake bits now. You can buy them at Walmart. I have not tried them yet. Thought about getting them next time I go but I'm pretty stocked on the bars right now. Lol

Thank you! I will keep an eye out for both of those options.

The cake bites are pretty good. I disliked the cheesecake ones, but the mint and birthday cake ones are great.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yeah, I’ve been looking at “fortified” options like bars and shakes. There are just too many options!

That just means you get to try them all! :)

Protein fluff is really easy to make, and has the consistency of pudding. Here's a recipe I found somewhere, which I sometimes use:

Almond Joy Fluff:

1 scoop Vanilla casein whey

8 oz (1 cup) low-fat milk (or almond/coconut milk) 

5g Cocoa powder

1/4 tsp Almond extract

1/4 tsp Xanthan gum

Toppings:
5g Mini chocolate chips

5g Sliced almonds

Combine all dry ingredients first in mixing bowl. Add liquids and mix with a spoon until combined. Using an electric mixer with a whisk on its highest setting, whip mixture for at least 5 minutes, 10 minutes max. Scrape fluff into bowl (or eat directly from the mixing bowl like I do when I'm not taking a picture to share online), add toppings, and enjoy!
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Addendum to the above: I found the xanthan gum is really essential to get the right texture. I tried it without and it didn't set up very well. You can find xanthan gum in the grocery store, usually somewhere in the baking aisle.