Sodium Intake locked at 2300mg/day?

Options
13»

Replies

• StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    "The recommendation is based on getting people to focus more on whole foods and limit processed foods. It does not apply to those following specialized diets, have active jobs or work out."

"I aim for 4000 to 5000 mgs a day because i work out hard"

"Is there an associated risk with high sodium, maybe"

Clearly you are just going to ignore the scientific evidence and recommendations of the medical professionals, so I don't see the point in debating further.

I am glad you are in good health, and I hope it continues.

Have a good night.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    @CharlieBeansmomTracey Oh my gosh!! I just realized I mistyped!!
    So very sorry, my comment was not directed at you at all!

its ok I took it the wrong way lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »
    "The recommendation is based on getting people to focus more on whole foods and limit processed foods. It does not apply to those following specialized diets, have active jobs or work out."

"I aim for 4000 to 5000 mgs a day because i work out hard"

"Is there an associated risk with high sodium, maybe"

Clearly you are just going to ignore the scientific evidence and recommendations of the medical professionals, so I don't see the point in debating further.

I am glad you are in good health, and I hope it continues.

Have a good night.

Clearly, if there was a concern my doctor would have mentioned it. They are very aware of how i eat. Obviously, you throw all your eggs in one basket.

I can only hope you also follow the recommendations on protein, resistance training, cardio and fiber as well, otherwise you might be adding some risk..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Did you bother to read the article that you quoted? It sets that 1500 level for people who are 51 and older, African Americans, diabetics, people with hypertension, and people with kidney disease. AKA: Groups who are more prone to hypertension or kidney issues.

It is *not* a general limit for most of the population.

Actually, health professionals are pushing for the limit to be lowered to 1500 mg as the new standard.

Not all. This is a pretty decent summary of some of the debates: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/05/06/scientists-are-divided-about-the-dangers-of-salt-but-some-in-washington-want-to-keep-the-health-warnings/?utm_term=.9f4d0e68921b

I've not really read anything that convinces me that 1500 mg is necessary for people with no blood pressure problems, and I'm actually super skeptical in that most don't measure their sodium well and the average American eats WAY higher. So why 1500 mg or 2300 mg? Supposedly most sodium is from stuff like canned and highly processed foods, so since I don't eat much of that (and the canned stuff I eat is low sodium), I cook normally (which includes adding pinches of salt here and there -- and that adds up, 1500 mg is tiny) and don't log.

I wouldn't bother trying to get extra when I work out (absent doing intense exercise or an endurance event in the heat), but I don't see a reason to worry about it.

As for 2300 mg or the idea we should all carefully monitor it, I've looked for an explanation of why, and although some claim it's back by robust evidence, the only explanations I've seen are (1) for a lot of people sodium affects blood pressure, cutting back helps, and it can be hard to cut back so better to start now, and (2) Americans in general eat way over 2300 mg and many have high blood pressure, so a limit that convinces them to at least lower it some is good. Also, for people in the risk categories (salt sensitive people with high blood pressure) eating very little (the 1500 mg) helps. (That assumes they are counting correctly, and I am skeptical at how well self-monitoring people count sodium, I suspect they usually undercount.)

Anyway, the reasons explained above are not very convincing to me as why people with no blood pressure problems and who don't eat the foods that are supposedly the biggest issue in the US diet should monitor or cut out salt and can't just use it normally in cooking or whatever. (I don't add salt to cooked food, just use it in cooking, but if you look at how little 2300 mg is, or 1500 mg, it's pretty tiny, and measuring salt or cutting it out to meet the limit -- or worrying about eating olives or pickles or cottage cheese -- seems pointless to me when my blood pressure has always been good.)

If someone has blood pressure issues, yeah, reduce sodium. If you eat a ton of it, reducing it some is likely sensible, and you can certainly change your palate to need less. But for most people, especially people who are otherwise concerned with healthful eating and fitness and, say, eat mostly home-cooked food and who work out and get plenty of potassium in their diet, I doubt worrying about a specific number is worthwhile.