Super bowl - This may be controversial

Options
2»

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    We legitimately enjoy watching the game and last night was a good game to watch. But I should say, my husband is a high school football coach and my 8 year old is obsessed w/ football currently (he's autistic so he'll be obsessed with something else in a few months), so we are a very football-centric family. We have now entered a very dark period in our house....no football on the TV constantly.... and the darkness will last until late August.

Fear not.

The NFL combine is in March and the draft follows shortly thereafter.

NCAA spring ball is just around the corner too.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The average NFL game has about 11 TOTAL minutes of actual play. With plays only being mere seconds, but realize that those few seconds are usually all out. So if you lifted your max weight as much as you could for 8 seconds, and it a total of 60 times, you think you'd be pretty spent?
    It's one of the few sports that people go all out (like interval training) with rest in between (40 seconds between plays unless there's a change of possession or time out).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And you find that entertaining? A 4 hour event or an hour long game with 11 mins of actual game?

I don’t know, I think this is just another one of those things I will never quite understand the appeal

I've watched football pretty much since I can remember coming from a football family and played as well. I find it entertaining, but I'm not just watching players run all over the field. I'm watching routes, play calling strategy, and have great admiration for the skill that those guys have.

One of my friends isn't really into football at all and doesn't understand the appeal...but he also doesn't understand the game itself and the strategies and whatnot...to him it's just all kinds of randomness...when you understand the game, you understand the strategies that go into play calling, etc.

Last nights Super Bowl was probably one of the best I've seen in a long time...basically a 12 round slug fest with both sides throwing hay makers.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Obviously, what people find exciting is subjective. I find the NFL to be pretty boring, but it's mostly because I don't feel an attachment to any particular team or players - so I really just don't care about the league in general.

But as boring as I find it, I would much rather watch an NFL game than a soccer* match... how people get excited about the blue team kicking it over to the read team and the red team kicking it out of bounds for 60 minutes of 'action' that ends in a 0-0 tie, I'll never know.

* I use the word 'soccer' since it's British coinage was used to describe the game of Association Football aka European football... and as an American I find it useful to distinguish the two games.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The average NFL game has about 11 TOTAL minutes of actual play. With plays only being mere seconds, but realize that those few seconds are usually all out. So if you lifted your max weight as much as you could for 8 seconds, and it a total of 60 times, you think you'd be pretty spent?
    It's one of the few sports that people go all out (like interval training) with rest in between (40 seconds between plays unless there's a change of possession or time out).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And you find that entertaining? A 4 hour event or an hour long game with 11 mins of actual game?

I don’t know, I think this is just another one of those things I will never quite understand the appeal
    Superbowl is usually longer due to festivities around it, but yeah I enjoy it every week it's on. Can it get boring? Yes especially when there's no scoring, which is why I find thing like soccer boring to watch. Ball is always in play, but a 1-0 game is pretty boring to watch, IMO. And unlike soccer, EVERY play is a strategy. In soccer there's no way knowing where the balls going to be at, so there's not as much strategy involved. As well as in American football, every player has to perform their assignment correctly on every play or it can mean a loss on the play. In soccer, if the ball is at the other end opposite the goalie, the goalie could be doing jumping jacks or dancing and it would have no effect on the play on that side of the field.
    I guess it's how you're raised. Some people love NASCAR. I can watch it for about 2 minutes then quit cause watching cars go around an oval track for 200 plus laps is pretty uneventful unless there's a crash.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    All mainstream TV is inundated with commercials anymore. Used to be a standard 2:02 break on the 10's or 15's, and now trying to even watch a movie on TBS or Sci Fi channel, you get 5 minute commercial breaks and they drag movies out to hours and hours. Not worth my time personally. I love watching pro tennis because there are no commercial breaks except on changeovers, and that is dictated by play. So if a game lasts 15 minutes, it is 15 minutes of straight play you see, then a couple commercials and back. Anything with a clock gets manipulated for TV advertising.