Options
    Time to call troll yet?

Looking more and more isn't it....

use the emoji, use the emoji....

(i cant, too many warnings :laugh:)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    My diet is the paperpudding individualised variety of foods I like and have available diet

Must think of catchier name for it. :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Time to call troll yet?

Looking more and more isn't it....

use the emoji, use the emoji....

(i cant, too many warnings :laugh:)

I can't. ... just got out of jail...

damnit!!!!!!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    When I see people on restrictive diets I look at my "I eat everything in moderation" diet and feel rather :trollface:

CICO for the win.
  • sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No troll.. just a frustrated mummy who feels *kitten* about the way she looks. I seem to have tried every ‘healthy eating ‘ (Daren't say diet!!) I possibly know and don’t seem to get get anywhere.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you need some extra no bovine excrement sort of approach, check Facebook for Richie Howey (sweary Geordie) or James Smith PT (sweary Berkshireman, currently living in Aus). Both do regular live videos and explain CICO, BMR, TDEE, why fad diets don't work, and why keeping track of macros does help in addition to CICO. Although I am not signed up to either, I like their no nonsense approach and regularly watch their videos.

But at the end of the day you have to want change. You have to be ready to make small lifestyle changes and force yourself to stick to them. I eat everything, just in moderation. If it fits my calories and/or macros I will have chocolate, cake, alcohol, you name it. The best thing is you don't have to do it at once. Gradual changes make them part of your life.

I started at Easter last year and have gradually gotten healthier. I have lost close to 20lbs and kept it off. My plateau (December/January) has reduced significantly, and my desire for bad food has declined, which is amazing. I still have it, but if I have it in the quantities that I used to I start to feel dodgy. Which is great! Long process, but worth every minute.

Love James Smith on Insta!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Have you tried keto?

Why Keto? Just eat less and move more. Unless you have a medical reason to switch to a keto diet, or just prefer eating a keto diet, switching to it because you *think* it causes weight loss is unlikely to be sustainable.

This is someone who struggles to keep going with diets, yet still people recommend extreme dietary changes.

CICO. Eat what you normally eat but start weighing it all. Gradually bring your portion sizes down. Then start changing what you eat if you find that you need to. Again, gradually. By working gradually things become a new normal, rather than a shock to the system.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    There are so many diets around and I’ve tried a lot of them and non successful. I’m so fed up of being in track then falling off the wagon. Is there a magic cure please can someone tell me x

No magic. MFP.
  • sammyj19902015
    Options
    Tried Keto for 10 days had great ‘water’ loss then broke down as it was too strict! Yes mfp but I struggle to keep within the calorie limit. I struggle a lot as I’m unhappy being overweight but then unhappy healthy eating. I know mindset is a big thing which I can have have for weeks then bang it goes out of the window and I can’t stop it, I literally can’t stop myself eating rubbish ( I have one side of me saying DONT eat it and the other saying do it. Angel and devil.) then feel guilty for eating crap. But something in me can’t stop me from doing it
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Yes you can stop yourself eating rubbish. It's called discipline. But if you're not used to exercising discipline when it comes to your diet then you will have to teach yourself. I had to teach myself discipline. I could easily sit down and eat an entire packet of biscuits in one sitting. A year on and although I do have bad days, I soon revert back to my new way of eating.

But all you have done on this thread is shut down why you can't do any of the suggestions. You are making excuses. With that attitude you will get nowhere. I should know, I was that person.

For me it was like a switch that got flicked. Suddenly I thought: I am getting older, this will only get harder, and I want to feel comfortable in my own body. Realised I had to work hard. It's not mindset, it's sheer hard work. You mentioned the magic early on and that tells me you want a quick fix, that you are not willing to work hard.

I've had to. I have had to log meticulously and exercise, and educate myself on nutrition. But I did it, gradually. I didn't start down at 1200 calories. No, I reduced my calories by about 200-300 a day. That's 3-4 boiled eggs, so not a lot. But *kitten* me, it worked. My highest weight was last April at 13st 1lb. I am down to 11st 10lb. And at no point have I starved myself or denied myself nice things and days off.

But then I was willing to work hard and commit. Because that is what it takes.
  • sammyj19902015
    Options
    But that’s what you don’t understand, I can’t stop myself. Period. I can argue with myself all day.. and not eat it all day but by the end of that day whatever I needed to eat will have passed my lips and there is nothing I can physically do about it. I have spoken to an auntie of mine who suffers the same thing and out of every person I know she is the only person who understands.. IDK it’s hard when I am willing to commit but there’s something there to stop me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    But that’s what you don’t understand, I can’t stop myself. Period. I can argue with myself all day.. and not eat it all day but by the end of that day whatever I needed to eat will have passed my lips and there is nothing I can physically do about it. I have spoken to an auntie of mine who suffers the same thing and out of every person I know she is the only person who understands.. IDK it’s hard when I am willing to commit but there’s something there to stop me.

a therapist might help then
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Willpower takes practice.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Tried Keto for 10 days had great ‘water’ loss then broke down as it was too strict! Yes mfp but I struggle to keep within the calorie limit. I struggle a lot as I’m unhappy being overweight but then unhappy healthy eating. I know mindset is a big thing which I can have have for weeks then bang it goes out of the window and I can’t stop it, I literally can’t stop myself eating rubbish ( I have one side of me saying DONT eat it and the other saying do it. Angel and devil.) then feel guilty for eating crap. But something in me can’t stop me from doing it

Sounds like you also struggle with your relationship with food, you don't have to eat "healthy" straight away, make gradual changes over time. There are no "Bad" foods, there are no "Good" foods there is just food that makes up a balanced diet.

Start by just getting into the habit of logging, don't even worry about the calories, just log everything you eat.

Once you've done that for a week or so, look at what you've logged and look at ways you can get from what you've logged to your calorie allowance. It's a lot easier than you think, things like making a slightly smaller portion of something, using a spray oil instead of frying in a lot of oil, switching out sugary drinks for diet versions, water, tea or normal coffee, substituting lower calorie dressings/condiments for higher calories sauces, etc and bulking meals out with lower calorie items so you feel fuller longer.

Then once you get used to your calorie allowance you can start making changes towards a healthier more nutritious diet.

But like @rianneonamission says you need to change this "can't" attitude if you think you can't you won't. You can do it but you have to want to do it. Noone is perfect every day, I know I am not but in the grand scheme I do better more often than I do bad.

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Without sounding thick... can I track calories and still feel like I’m not restricted?? So although I count calories can I still have that choc bar that I want or is it just healthy food to see a result?? If you understand that??

This past week I have had spinach, bananas, tuna, whole wheat bread, AND pasta, cake, candy and ice cream. I am easily tracking, logging and losing. Find out how many calories you need to consume to lose weight at an appropriate rate and then eat that number of calories. Nutrition is important but so is living your life! It's all about moderation, balance and common sense.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    But that’s what you don’t understand, I can’t stop myself. Period.

I do understand. That person was me until last Easter. I couldn't stop myself. Every day I said I would, but I never could. Until a switch flicked in my mind.

I used to think that life was too short to be slim and diet. I now think that life is too short to be unhealthy and careless with my body.