What diet???

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes are addictive though, they put additives in them to make it so. Food, on the other, keeps us alive and fuels our activities. Put to rest that food is addictive because it is not. Just learn to eat the right amount, it takes practice.
  • sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    But I don’t lose anything I just hit a plateau which is why I tried something different but just can’t seem to find something that suits, I’m actually addicted to food but want to be slim and it’s never going to happen :(

If you have a true addiction you should seek help. Over-eaters Anonymous or psychologist who specializes would be good options.

I feel like I do have an addiction to food but here’s me sitting here like I’m 30 odd stone, I actually weigh 13st 5lb so kept some control over it but would just like to lose some rather than sitting at this weight

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    But I don’t lose anything I just hit a plateau which is why I tried something different but just can’t seem to find something that suits, I’m actually addicted to food but want to be slim and it’s never going to happen :(

If you have a true addiction you should seek help. Over-eaters Anonymous or psychologist who specializes would be good options.

I feel like I do have an addiction to food but here’s me sitting here like I’m 30 odd stone, I actually weigh 13st 5lb so kept some control over it but would just like to lose some rather than sitting at this weight

Then stop trying to find quick weight loss solutions and stick to what was working. Weigh your food. Log everything you consume. Don't make this more complicated and stressful than it should be.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way towards food as I do to cigarettes. I get the same ‘angryness’ when I can’t have food I want as I do when I can’t have a cigarette, then I eat said food then get annoyed with myself for eating it... lose lose situation :/

Again, is it a certain food? A certain type of food? Do you crave sweets? Chips? Is there something lower calorie that will “scratch the itch” to use an addiction phrase?

Why do you feel you can’t have those foods, have you tried eating them in moderation and you overindulge or do you believe you must cut them out because you feel like a “restrictive diet” is required to be successful?
  • powerof9
    powerof9 Posts: 49 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My thought is that you should go ahead and just continue to eat whatever you want to eat, as much as you want to eat, but be sure to log accurately. Then as you have developed the habit of logging, you can slowly start to reduce the amount you eat. It's not hard it's just new habits. What you're really doing is developing Life Time habits.

You can even binge sometimes. It's an old pattern and may take some time to change, but over time the urge to do so will lessen. Don't beat yourself up. Just get right back on new process the next day.

And really, it must be said: Stop making excuses. When you fall get back up. That is the only way to succeed.

<3

Hugs to you.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I think about the only real restrictions I imposed on my way of eating (besides being already vegetarian and strictly kosher) was keeping my homemade desserts to 200 calories or fewer per serving and not buying any items where I couldn't at least ballpark the calories.

Example: as I said, I'm strictly kosher. There are a few pizza places I go to. While these restaurants aren't in the database, Pizza Pizza is. I work on the principle that a large slice of cheese pizza is likely to be around the same calories no matter which restaurant makes it. But I've stopped ordering their more 'unique' varieties that are hard to estimate. (Stuffed crust spinach-feta, topped with cheese, veggies, and sauce? I really have no idea).

For the rest, I eat mostly healthy within my calorie allotment.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The magic happens in your head when you truthfully log your food. That means you use a scale to weigh it, carefully select accurate database entries, and log every morsel that crosses your lips.
  • Linsyb101
    Linsyb101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me counting my macros instead of my calories. By default, my calories happen to fall within my calorie range every day. I enjoy macro counting much more than calorie counting. It’s made a big difference for me. If you’re interested let me know and I can tell you how to set them up in the app.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you have trouble focusing in other areas as well? School, work, hobbies, getting places on time? Too many experiences with trust being broken, for instance in relationships? Weightloss is just about buckling down and stop overeating, but not starving or depriving yourself. Day in, day out, taking each meal, each day as a challenge as well as a wonderful opportunity to learn and enjoy. Blame this or that and cry and believe in magic, DOES NOT WORK.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you have trouble focusing in other areas as well? School, work, hobbies, getting places on time? Too many experiences with trust being broken, for instance in relationships? Weightloss is just about buckling down and stop overeating, but not starving or depriving yourself. Day in, day out, taking each meal, each day as a challenge as well as a wonderful opportunity to learn and enjoy. Blame this or that and cry and believe in magic, DOES NOT WORK.

Relationships definitely.. mainly cheated on which is where my insecurity comes from and my personal view on my body image. I’m also 28 years of age not 3 so do u really think I believe magic will work... I just get frustrated on here of people thinking they know everything when people are different. I’ve been doing mfp for 3 years now and still not working for me so yeah frustrated that I can’t stick to it but I would kill to be slim.. figure that one out lol

how long have you stuck to a calorie deficit for? you've been on here 3 years? have you actually been consistent for a period of time longer than a month?
  • AnotherPlate
    AnotherPlate Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Strike a balance between eating at a calorie deficit and eating the foods that satisfy you most. There you have sustainability. Your diet like a tailor made suit needs to be tailored exactly to your liking. No one else's.
  • sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yeah I’m not saying it hasnt worked for me, when I 1st started I lost 3 stone and nearly got to what I wanted to be then something clicked in my head and a baby later I’ve gained it all again. I’m not saying the calorie deficits don’t work for everyone I understand that what I’m trying to say is I can’t seem to stick to anything I’ll do it for months on end then when I hit a plateau my brain goes awol and I eat everything in sight, I can’t tell you why I can’t stick to it, I can lose 2 stone yet something clicks and it all goes wrong ??
  • littledainty
    littledainty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're making drastic, temporary changes which is possibly why you're finding the process so unsustainable. You're asking 'what diet?' like there's a quick fix solution that you haven't tried, there isn't. You can eat what you like within your calorie allowance. Focus on small, sustainable changes. The fact you've lost before is great but you've gone back to bad habits and regained (it happens-life is a nightmare like that). If it takes you x months to put that weight on it's not going to come off in a matter of weeks and sitting there beating yourself up about what's already happened isn't going to help.

Log everything, even when you screw up, have a manageable deficit and aim for a healthy weight, if you have a bad day move on and start again the next day. Don't make it a bad week or month. I've lost nearly 30lbs in 8 months and am still going. I had bad days, my weight went up and then down again by a few pounds a week sometimes. That's normal and you can't let it discourage you.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If you need some extra no bovine excrement sort of approach, check Facebook for Richie Howey (sweary Geordie) or James Smith PT (sweary Berkshireman, currently living in Aus). Both do regular live videos and explain CICO, BMR, TDEE, why fad diets don't work, and why keeping track of macros does help in addition to CICO. Although I am not signed up to either, I like their no nonsense approach and regularly watch their videos.

But at the end of the day you have to want change. You have to be ready to make small lifestyle changes and force yourself to stick to them. I eat everything, just in moderation. If it fits my calories and/or macros I will have chocolate, cake, alcohol, you name it. The best thing is you don't have to do it at once. Gradual changes make them part of your life.

I started at Easter last year and have gradually gotten healthier. I have lost close to 20lbs and kept it off. My plateau (December/January) has reduced significantly, and my desire for bad food has declined, which is amazing. I still have it, but if I have it in the quantities that I used to I start to feel dodgy. Which is great! Long process, but worth every minute.