What diet???

Options

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said already. Plus... forget all of the trending diets and nutrition advice. Stop making it a science project. It doesn't have be confusing. Eat what you like, just eat less of it. It's really that simple. Unless you're an athlete in training for a competition or doing a comp prep for body building you don't have to follow any rules, just have to live in a caloric deficit. And guess what.... it's OK to feel slightly hungry. Who ever said we have to feel completely full all the time? In fact for a while I'd let myself get truly hungry on purpose so that I could learn, or re-learn, how to listen to my own body.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you like Richie you'll like James Smith I think. Instead of Betty he has Sheila.
  • shauntaymncarter
    Options
    Unfortunately patience is something I lack, I’ve lost 1st 5lb since August on different diets but still isn’t giving me the spur on that I need
    Unfortunately patience is something I lack, I’ve lost 1st 5lb since August on different diets but still isn’t giving me the spur on that I need

Have you guys heard of intermittent fasting? Research it. I’m doing intermittent fasting and calorie counting.
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said already. Plus... forget all of the trending diets and nutrition advice. Stop making it a science project. It doesn't have be confusing. Eat what you like, just eat less of it. It's really that simple. Unless you're an athlete in training for a competition or doing a comp prep for body building you don't have to follow any rules, just have to live in a caloric deficit. And guess what.... it's OK to feel slightly hungry. Who ever said we have to feel completely full all the time? In fact for a while I'd let myself get truly hungry on purpose so that I could learn, or re-learn, how to listen to my own body.

I agree with you 100% and this is exactly my approach...I went out for pizza on Sunday with my BF (even had a starter) and I still stayed within my calories for the week. Yesterday I had a rubbish day in work so ate 2 packets of crisps in a row but it was counted and logged then I adjusted my dinner slightly to make sure I didn't go over my limit. I eat what I want but have become much more aware of what I'm putting in my mouth.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    First off there is no Magic, lol. I think you already knew that. I was obese my whole entire life. It took me until I was 59 to get serious about losing. I kept jumping from diet to diet and would lose some then gain it back. I tried all of them. The trick for me was to find something I could live with for life.

Losing weight and keeping it off isn't about doing something until the weight drops off and then getting back to "normal". Our "normal" is why most of us were/are overweight. Find an exercise form you look forward to or at least can enjoy, eat less but eat things you like. Think about what you eat and find healthy alternatives whenever possible. Eat smaller portions (you can always have seconds if you are really still hungry). When I started on this I was amazed at how little food I really needed. Weigh your food and log it every single day. Don't guess about your portion size.

TAKE YOUR TIME. None of us got fat overnight I don't know why we think we should get thin overnight. Learn everything you can as you are losing weight. Accept that this is a lifesyle change forever. You can never go back to your old habits.
  • sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My baby is 7 months old and I started back on diet straight after I had her, as I’ve said before I just get a bit frustrated on here that some of the responses make me out to be stupid/thick which is one thing I’m not lol I was just wanting to see what worked for different people
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

^ THIS. Also stop focusing on what "diet" to follow. Most "diets" are bs and restrict foods we enjoy eating, hence why you've claimed to have tried them all with little to no success. Diets are short term, so I highly suggest you focus on a lifestyle of eating. Losing weight is truly as simple as burn more calories then you consume.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you like Richie you'll like James Smith I think. Instead of Betty he has Sheila.

I'd recommend against James Smith. He "borrows" nearly all of the information he puts forth.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I'd recommend against James Smith. He "borrows" nearly all of the information he puts forth.

Seconded. A couple days ago he was caught putting Lyle McDonald's new Women's Book online in .pdf format so his Facebook group members could pirate it without having to pay for a copy, with the hashtag #donttelllyle in his post announcing it. He has also been caught plagiarizing information from Lyle and others in the past (he apparently also had Kelly Starrett's Become a Supple Leopard book in his dropbox for people to pirate). Thieves don't deserve respect.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    But....but.... according to you, OP, you know everything about how weight loss works- you *actually* want advice about a medical issue!

• sammyj19902015
    sammyj19902015 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I asked for advice on what diets people do, if I knew it all I’d be thin wouldn’t I!! :D
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I asked for advice on what diets people do, if I knew it all I’d be thin wouldn’t I!! :D

The thing is no one on here actually "does a diet" everyone lives by CICO, whether it's from protein, carbs, fat, veggies, it's a simple matter of a controlling how many calories you eat. Wrap it up and call it anything you want but it's all the same principle. Sticking with it is the hard bit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

My diet (noun) is the foods I enjoy in appropriate quantities. Mostly home cooked, fairly high carb (veg, fruit, grains....), lots of fish, lots of variety.

My diet (verb) to lose weight was the 5:2 diet - 5 days at maintenance, 2 non-consecutive days at a large deficit.
    It might suit you as you say you struggle with patience and sticking to a diet long term/falling off the wagon.

Effectively you only diet (calorie restrict) one day at a time and no foods are off limits. It's easy to be determined for a day at a time knowing that tomorrow you eat normally.

Everyday calorie restriction bores and frustrates me - sounds like it might do the same to you.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/ for more info.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Time to call troll yet?