You do you I'll do me? Is that ok or disrespectful?

Options
13»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's not fair of you to ask everyone else to disrupt their lives because you want to change something about yourself. You're just going to have to learn to work around it.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    On one hand no one should disrespect anyone over their food and/or lifestyle choices. On the other hand, people should be allowed to eat whatever they choose to eat without feeling like they have to hide it. Can the two of you try to find a middle-ground?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's fair to try and stop others eating what they want for the sake of my own goals. However, here are some things that helped us (family of one tubby adult, one slim adult and one frankly skinny child):

- Everyone has their own individual treat stash, and these are kept out of sight. I can't go rummaging in other people's stashes, that would be stealing.
    - Sometimes if I'm feeling weak I ask my husband to hide my treat basket and bring it out only on request. I don't need to do this often these days, but it helps a lot.
    - Keep things like cookies in a cupboard, above eye level, so they're not right there in front of you
    - I do the cooking mostly, so I can choose meals which can be adapted so that they get bigger portions, more of the fattening bits etc and mine is a bit lighter

Apart from that, it's all just a question of learning my weaknesses and buttons and learning how not to overeat, even in the presence of tempting foods. This just takes time and effort and there's no way around it. This is a fattening world, and we need to learn to live in it.

I wouldn't dream of trying to make my daughter live without home made cookies or bread or other such projects. Those are the experiences that make up a cosy home.

My weight is my problem, and while my family can be supportive, it's my job to manage it, as much as possible without cramping their style.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i think it's okay, and i wouldn't be offended. i would just take it as kind of a warning to back off because someone is getting a little testy. on the other hand, if your husband is 300 pounds, it might be a good idea to nag a bit anyway, just maybe try to do it more gently somehow as to not elicit a defensive response. i mean, it would be nice if he were more supportive of you..
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Lots of great comments here but I would like to add that I try to find something that fits in my diet that is more calorie friendly. Often I find if I have SOMETHING I can have it is less painful. For example I eat diet pudding (50 cal per serving) with some low fat cool whip. I can fit that in better than say a donut or cake. For the bread I would likely have a bowl of Boom Chick a Pop popcorn. I understand and feel your pain because my hubby snacks all night long and I am sitting right across from him but I save up some calories so I can have something else that satisfies.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm mixed up about this. I mean, I guess I don't really understand why someone who's supposed to love you would make it so much harder on you, but at the same time, you don't have to eat it. I'd ask them to put it away so you can't see it, but that's pretty much all you can reasonably ask them to do.

I did stop baking when my husband had a heart attack though, and now only do it when we get together with friends or for special occasions, but that's for me too because I really don't need all the extra calories either.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I think that just as individuals must do what works for them, families/couples must also figure out what works for them. Everyone here giving advice is basing it on their own family relationships, which obviously vary from household to household. Of course it would be great if your family members took into account your wishes, but if they continue to do what they're doing, you have no choice but to adapt.

In my own family, hubby understands and supports my weight-loss efforts, but at the same time, he wants his treats, too. Sometimes that means actual sweets/snacks, and sometimes it means a particularly calorie-laden meal (we don't eat out much, so that helps). I need my own food choices to be sustainable as well, so I just try to incorporate our mutual indulgences into my calorie goal. For instance, he loves key lime pie, so I'll sometimes get that and I'll have a tiny sliver while he has his man portion. He also loves ice cream--if I'm shopping, I'll purposely buy HIS favorite flavor that I can live without (if it was cookies n cream or chocolate brownie, I'd be much more tempted). If the family wants a big meal of pancakes, bacon, hash browns, etc, I'll make that for dinner and save up calories for it. I can't have as much of it as I used to have, but it's enough that I can enjoy it but not go over my limit, either. The same goes with baked treats, grilled hamburgers, etc. Hubby also is Italian, so pasta and bread are frequent requests. Sometimes he shops and buys bread I don't have calories for. I either skip it, or I tear off a small piece, weigh it, log it, and enjoy. Sometimes I make zoodles for myself in place of pasta (it helps that I love them!). Maybe I have a little more control over the meals than OP does, but there are ways to adapt. Good lunch OP!

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    do you think it is ok or disrespectful for young adult kids and husband to eat whatever the want including take out, cookies, homemade bread, ice cream when you kindly ask to please not bake this stuff right now as I am trying to get back on track and it is so tempting having it in front of me all the time?

It is unreasonable to demand everyone in the house change their eating habits unless it is something that can cause instant death like from a severe allergy or similar. That is not the same as lacking self control. That is "a little bit of that could put me in the hospital right away".
    When dieting it is okay to ask nicely for family to limit or eat some things away from you or to enjoy things you don't like as well or to put food out of sight. If you come to such an agreement and they break the agreement it is disrespectful. You are justified in being upset.
    If they never agreed then it is disappointing.
    Ultimately you do have to do you and they have to do them no matter what. Even if it would benefit them too.