800-1,000 cal BURN

Options

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i do a 600 calorie workout in the morning and then a 700 calorie workout in the evening. After the morning workout I delete the update and then at night time it will show that i burned 1300 calories.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I do that most every morning. Here's the trick; be pretty heavy and be pretty fast.

I usually run 6 - 8+ miles on weekday mornings. At 180 lbs, that ~ 130+ calories per mile.

On Tuesday morning I did a tempo run, 8 miles in just under an hour (~ 7:25 per mile). So that's 1,000+ in an hour. Edit to add: that's a TOUGH workout, I couldn't do it every day (the pace, not the distance).

You're welcome to join me for a run anytime. Here's my running log.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/a4a1f19a498b4a9c91ed2ada1bc9fde2/calendar/2013/7
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I can burn >1000 cal on a 10km run, or on a strenuous bushwalk, or a trail run, or even after 2-3 hrs of roller skating! When I was bigger, 1000 calories was much easier to burn than it is now, but it's still pretty easy to do, providing you're willing to put the sweat in.

Obviously walking is going to burn less than walking. On Thursday I went for a two hour bush walk (about 10km - mostly downhill or flat) and I burned just over 500 cal. But my 1 hour run (>7km) this morning I burned more than that!

In march, I had a 4,000 cal burn - 7 hours climbing an active volcano!

All of these burns were calculated with a Polar FT7 HRM.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    3x a day. Shoot for 300 calories burn a session.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I never burn anywhere close to that much. Once I did an all day hike and a couple of calculators estimated my burn at around 700 over my normal TDEE, and once I went snorkeling all day and estimated about 600 for that. Honestly though I'm not convinced that it's possible to get a truly accurate estimate of calorie burn so I just do the TDEE-10% method and adjust calories as needed.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I burn normally 1200 cals a day on average (on Saturdays close to 1700). I'm obviously not lying to myself since I'm a mere 116 pounds at 5'5"... I run.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    After reading all of the comments....it's clear that many smaller weighted people have difficulty having a big burn session. People that are heavier and over 200 and 300 lbs naturally burn more. Just like someone who is 140 lbs may find it impossible to lose 8 lbs in a week, whereas a bigger person like myself have experienced that quite a few times. Just because YOU may not be able to burn that much in a workout...doesn't mean it's impossible. I wish I was small enough to have that problem.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    After reading all of the comments....it's clear that many smaller weighted people have difficulty having a big burn session. People that are heavier and over 200 and 300 lbs naturally burn more. Just like someone who is 140 lbs may find it impossible to lose 8 lbs in a week, whereas a bigger person like myself have experienced that quite a few times. Just because YOU may not be able to burn that much in a workout...doesn't mean it's impossible. I wish I was small enough to have that problem.

People who are leaner, burn more calories actually, as far as my knowledge extends :) - you are not burning 1000 calories in 1 hour.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I've heard it argued both ways. I've heard people say that bigger people burn more because they're moving more weight (and this works for TDEE so it may be the correct argument) and I've heard people say that smaller people burn more because they can be a lot more intense.

ETA: I don't actually know which is more likely to be true, just saying it gets told both ways
  • Kamatayan
    Kamatayan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7.

At 6'6" and ~370lbs, today, I warmed up, stretched, did a number on my legs in a workout, then played full court basketball. In 3 hours I burned (according to my HRM) 2162 calories.

I'm following the TDEE -20% method, so most of that burn I won't eat back, if any at all.
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    I am a bigger girl and have a core armband by bodymedia. I got one to tell me how much my BODY burns and I can get into 1,000 calories if I push myself and walk close to 1hr 45min. Like today was 761 calories just from heavy lifting and walking. So with your body frame, getting up to 1,000 just means really PUSHING to get the burn.
    i use the body bugg too , i did 5 miles walk/jog in a lil under 90 mins this morning and burned 975 calories ....i'm also a big girl and i think that plays a huge factor - its the ONE perk of being heavier LOL
  • arc918
    Options

People who are leaner, burn more calories actually, as far as my knowledge extends :) - you are not burning 1000 calories in 1 hour.

Perhaps for lifting, but for running a 200 lb runner burns much more than 100 lb runner.

Come for a run with me, we can burn 1,000 in an hour (depending on how much you weigh).
  • chelc1105
    chelc1105 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure my HRM lies to me. But its okay - I only eat back a small amount of my exercise calories (like...10%) because I am sure it lies. lol
    I just did Ripped in 30, Week 1 (Jillian Michaels) and it said i burned almost 500 cal., could be true, I am not sure.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My goal is a 1000 burn most days ... I certainly don't get it in one workout though. I'm a SAHM with a home gym, so I pop down there several times a day. I usually get in 5-6 20min sessions on the elliptical, 10 miles on the stationary bike and sometimes I'll get some jogging at the track in too. I'm currently doing the 30DayShred (that's another 20+min workout) - when I'm not doing that, I try to get in a full body weight workout 1-3 times a week.

Before you think I'm crazy (although admittedly I am) ... I'm often getting double duty during my workouts. I really never just SIT and watch tv ... but I'll catch up on any TV/DVDs while on the elliptical. Instead of just sitting and reading, I read while I ride my stationary bike. When by boys play basketball at the local gym, I jog the track above while I watch them play (I can usually get in 5 miles during their game).

... ok, 30 DS is JUST a workout!

A little bit here, a little bit there ... it adds up *Ü* I do try not to eat back all my exercise calories though. I know there is SO much estimation there (and on intake too) so I do like to allow some wiggle room above my calculated 500 deficit.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    1) Cycling, including hills, for 100 minutes.
    2) Elliptical for 40 minutes. 5 km run. Rowing for 20 minutes.
    3) My boxing training class, hour walking, 10 minutes elliptical.
    4) 80 minutes running outside.

I have had 1600 calories burnt in exercise somedays, when I took a long bike ride and did some walking too.

ETA - I use a polar FT4 and a fitbit, high lean mass and low bodyfat, though not sure if that makes a difference to my burns or not. I do workout at a very high intensity.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Perhaps for lifting, but for running a 200 lb runner burns much more than 100 lb runner.

Come for a run with me, we can burn 1,000 in an hour (depending on how much you weigh).

I disagree, personally - and as I stated, there is no accurate way to test unless you're in a lab :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Also here's an interesting thread for you OP regarding using a HRM to estimate burns.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    As some others have said, it's not all that hard for a distance runner. I certainly wouldn't burn 800-1000 calories running for 1 hour, but that's an easy burn to achieve with a 7-9 mile run. I'm a healthy weight and that would take me ~70-90 minutes for a long, slow run; less if I was doing a tempo run. I certainly don't do this every day, but depending upon where I am in a training program, I could easily burn that (and much, much more) twice each week.
  • arc918
    Options

I disagree, personally - and as I stated, there is no accurate way to test unless you're in a lab :)

The steady state cardio is pretty easy to figure out. When all sources tell me (HRM, RW calc, Garmin, etc) I burn ~ 135+ per mile, I round down to 130 and call it a day.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

The trick to burning 1,000 in a hour is being both heavy and fast.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm a distance runner. I also have a weirdly high heart rate when I'm exercising, so I can easily burn 1000 calories going for a 6 mile run. You should see what I burn when I do a half marathon.. It's kind of ridiculous.

People burn calories differently because there are so many variables. Weight, heart rate, overall fitness level, height.. Those all affect caloric burn.

Not to mention, MFP lumps them all together, so there are days when I can burn 800 total from several different activities, but it looks like I burned it all at one time.