Options
124»

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    OP, you've gotten several good replies about different techniques to handle these cravings when they come up. Hopefully something mentioned will help. I'll just drop one of my favorite comic strips in here:

7cg9q2qzfmn7.jpg
    w8zxo520x08u.jpg
    ldu5x9fytud6.jpg
    vprtnkezvghm.jpg

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. Seriously, I've wasted so many calories eating alternatives of what I was craving, only to end up not satisfied when I could just have eaten the thing I was craving in the first place, be satisfied, and probably have spent less calories in the process.

Don't order a whole pizza. Go to a place that has slices and buy one, or just order a small one.

ETA: it doesn't always work for higher calorie things, and yeah sometimes I have to wait until I get together with my friends to make the brownies/pie/dessert I'm craving so I can leave the leftovers there, but it's often possible to find reasonable portions of at least most of the things I crave.

This is exactly how I handled it when I first started. I would order one slice and a side salad. It was perfect (the slice was from a 16 inch, so was a nice size). I could also put toppings on that no one else in my family will eat. It gets easier. In fact, going out to our favorite restaurant for pizza is now one of the easiest to plan, because I know I can make it fit and feel satisfied (I will also add a glass of wine :)).

• CharlesS6730
    CharlesS6730 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Self discipline can be tough. I remember doing Whole 30 and wanting to mug my daughter for her pizza haha. Seriously though I had cravings for things I could not eat while doing Whole 30. I also would not break the diet and usually overcame those urges. Now I don't get any cravings any longer. I hope it all works out for you in the end though.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    A key for me when I started out over 3 years ago was to understand the difference between appetite (desire of food) and hunger (actual need of food) signals. As a professional scientist I have a leg up on monitoring data, but as this requires an analysis of my own behavior - a great deal of confirmation bias is unavoidable. I journaled my actions in MFP, weighing everything, but also monitoring my feelings when I felt the urge to eat and went through a checklist to determine if this was hunger or just appetite. If appetite I would get up and distract myself - take a walk around, get some water/tea, and then get back to whatever I was doing.

I developed a habit of drinking 16 oz of water ~30 mins prior to every meal. I also learned to eat small meals at breakfast and lunch as I work out in the afternoon. Then I have plenty of budgetary flexibility in the evening when I'm winding down with my family.

Like balancing a checkbook I learned to eat within a budget. After about 18 months this became normal behavior and I learned to sacrifice my desires in the present if I'm ever going to realize any goals in the future.

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    Mad jealous of your TDEE and your height, curse my short stature! :'(

You probably have less permanent lumps on your head from banging your head on stuff lol. But yea, if you are shorter only way to increase that TDEE is with exercise. Even then there's a limit to what might be sustainable long term. I blame the food industry mostly. Just because something tastes good one way doesn't mean there's not a way to prepare it to taste the same and have less calories. I'm a big fan of cooking shows and watching these cooks douse everything in a frying pan with EVOO is just cringe worthy. I love EVOO, but I limit how much I use because of the calories in a single tablespoon. Not everything has to be prepared and soaked in tons of salt and butter either, or at least it could be minimized. But that's not how the food industry sees it. The better they can make it taste the more we'll want it. I'll bet 40-60% of my weight loss can be contributed to simple substitutions in ingredients over the last three years.

You make a good point. I used to use just regular Olive oil when frying or cooking my food but I cut out a lot of the unnecessary calories by switching to Canola oil spray.
    Exercise and increasing my daily activity has definitely helped with expanding my calorie budget, plus keeping busy during the day means I have less time to think about food.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I wish I could present something new, but previous posts are awesome and are nailing it.

In the validation department: this stuff IS hard. Not for all of us, but it's a bear and a half for me. I've gone from 275 in college to 178 for my wedding and, five years and two kids later, I'm at 230. Maybe not the best person to give advice... but I do have tricks for staying satiated and overcoming cravings!

-Eat half or three quarters of your meal (or what you WANT to eat); wait 20 minutes and watch yourself feel full. It takes time for food to hit your satiety zone of magical goodness.

-Eat two servings of fruit and/or veggies, AND drink two pint glasses of water, BEFORE every darn meal. See how much you can eat after all of that nutritious filler.

-Will power is a muscle and you have to exercise it; if you've been exercising restraint and control one day, and then bingeing the next, you aren't exercising this muscle; everything gets easier after three days of practice (which goes for not smoking and such, at least in my experience);

-Find some form of exercise that you enjoy, and go slow with it at first. If you hate exercise, you won't do it. Any exercise is better than no exercise, so don't get down on yourself for just going on walks at first. We had to train ourselves to walk, to walk-jog, to walk-run, and then to run and work on form and stuff. It went the same for lifting. At first, I was lifting 5 lb dumbbells in my living room and looking goofy as hell. Two years later, I was confident enough to ask regular lifters at my gym to critique my squat form and other advice.

-The best single piece of advice I've ever received about reaching any goal, so long as you don't use it to screw around and not make progress: it's a marathon, not a sprint. Don't sweat the day to day stuff, even behaviors that you might consider to be a defeat; you're looking to win the war, not every battle.

-Various other metaphors.

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

[/quote]

You make a good point. I used to use just regular Olive oil when frying or cooking my food but I cut out a lot of the unnecessary calories by switching to Canola oil spray.
    Exercise and increasing my daily activity has definitely helped with expanding my calorie budget, plus keeping busy during the day means I have less time to think about food.[/quote]

THIS! I look at calories like money. If I take a day off from work, not only am I NOT making money, I'm also probably spending it.

If you're exercising, not only are you creating a caloric deficit, you also are NOT able to put food in your mouth (and, more often than not, you just don't think about it).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    ...This has helped me feel content in my life in general. Instead of being jealous of people who have nice things that I don’t have, I think of people who are less fortunate and it makes me grateful and realize I have it pretty good.

Gratitude is the key to happiness. It's the best gift you can give yourself. <3
  • azkabanned
    azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Happened to me two weeks ago! But I kept thinking about it for 4 days before I finally couldn't stand it. I rarely order pizza, but I always eat at least 50% of a large at one go when I do.

It's HARD. I find that when I keep my emotions in check, I'm less likely to even want to eat pizza. I find that if the craving doesn't really go away in 1 day for me, I should just have it, and then work harder to burn the calories off in the following week... or I just start thinking about KFC/pizza for hours and hours all week, which messes with my week even more.
  • Lunacy111
    Lunacy111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually have pizza slices in my freezer. I order a pizza and eat one piece, and wrap the rest up individually in foil. I also sometimes make a pizza on a pita. But when I just really have to have the real thing, I know it's there. I also know how many calories and carbs it is, and have to make that choice. I will take a piece out and heat it in the oven. I could microwave it faster, but I don't. I make myself use the oven and wait for it. Knowing it's there if I REALLY want it, seem to help me mentally.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Do you like mushrooms? Those giant ones make a delicious healthy "crust" for normal pizza toppings. Soooo yummy!
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you make healthy food a habit eventually you will crave it too :p Nothing like your mouth watering at the thought of tuna HA! But you can have a treat meal every now and then ;)
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, for me is I try talk myself out 1-2 times and then if I still want something, I would buy them and immediately freeze the extra portion and just have a small portion which will fit into my daily calorie goal. sometimes I plan out days which I'll have one meal which is high in calorie and eat vegetable for the rest of day. I think for the long term maintenance, it is better to learn eat small portion of junk food than to be totally avoiding them.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    It's the curse of the calorie aware. It does get easier to a degree. I do wish that 1. I didn't live alone but only for the half hour it takes to eat take away. Harder to overeat it when sharing and 2. that pizza by the slice were a thing here. Or more of a thing, it's rare you find anywhere that does it.

I do sometimes get individual pizzas from the supermarket, either in the fridge or sometimes there's kids ones in the freezer. I then add my own toppings. Helps scratch the itch.

Hmmm, I'd say the whole living alone thing is really "the grass is greener" syndrome. Its much much much easier to lose weight if you have reasonable self control while living alone, in fact I'd say exponentially easier.

In theory you can "share" maybe, in reality they: want something else/don't want to share/want to try two things/want to eat a dish with more calories you haven't budgeted/want to add drinks/want to add desert/want to add another meal option/want to eat later or earlier so you need something before or after/dont want a reduced portion or share in the first place/etc etc etc.

I've done both, and its so much harder to control calories while with someone vs alone. Yes yes, self control, not their business, blah blah, its still MORE difficult with others around than without. You have to take into consideration their wants, desires, timings, social, etc etc etc of another person, that there is already double trouble. I could, and have dropped 10lbs in a week while living alone, maintained losses month to month with relative ease etc...with people you care about its exponentially harder and one pound a week is pretty tough to maintain, it was easier to do -4lbs/wk rates alone.

Now I'm sure you'll disagree since you think the above and won't accept it, but I had to respond and give credit to all the people dealing with even MORE people than I live with and have more problems controlling intake than I, living with one currently. Adding kids or more family just adds to the difficulty. Its just not comparable to living alone and having control of everything! Its easy to not consider this while alone and think its easy for those who arent, in fact I was guilty back then too...
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Fast tomorrow tell dinner time, order the pizza and eat all you want (order a small one if you have a big appetite)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, pizza doesn't really work for me anymore since I became diabetic. A tiny amount of thin crust pizza seems worse than no pizza, and more crust spikes my blood glucose levels. Variations on fake pizza crust are all gross to me. So I am in the business of resisting pizza!

What works best for me is focusing on other foods I really like and enjoy and can eat that suit my needs better. Sometimes it takes a lot more effort - used to be I could literally order a pizza without getting out of bed, and I barely had to get dressed to answer the door. Planning, shopping, cooking a delicious meal is much harder. But the end result is a delicious meal which almost makes up for pizza.

So, my advice is to make sure whatever you have planned is so delicious that you look forward to eating it all day and pizza never enters your mind.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and split a supermarket pizza with my husband for dinner once or twice a month. It works out to 600 calories each. I add a glass of red wine and a big salad with full fat dressing. By only having lunch and dinner I'm still in calorie deficit.
    Re cravings, the hardest days were the first 3 months! Back then, I saved a quarter of my daily calories for sweets and junk food, and white-knuckled it. Playing with my macros has helped. If i bump up my fat and reduce my carbs (100g max) then I don't have cravings - I actually stop thinking obsessively about food! I'm now trying to eat more protein (1.5g per kg bodyweight) because that seems to stop me snacking and i want to retain as much muscle while losing weight as I can. I'm going to get a protein supplement to help.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that you won't always feel this way - just keep experimenting with your eating plan until you find what works for you. And your eating plan has room for pizza!