Don't over think cornbread.
    Oven 425
    Cornmeal
    Eggs
    oil
    Salt
    Milk
    Cast iron skillet

According to how much you want to make, or how thick you want it. One egg per cup of meal. Enough milk to make it just a little thicker than pancake batter. About 2 tablespoons of oil per cup of meal. Place some oil in skillet and put it in the oven to preheat. Take it out when fully heated, pour in your batter, bake, take out when brown on top. Sorry that's as close to measuring as I have ever gotten. Oh I forgot, salt to taste.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    4128904412_745a2578c8.jpg

I have not had real corn bread in forever and now I am craving it.

Not that nasty packy-tacky-moist-cornbread-with-sugar-in-it..but the kind made in a cast iron skillet with JIffy mix that's really dry and crumbly and can then be slathered in butter.

At least that's the way my mom and my granny made it. It's the only way I like it. [My mom crumbles hers up and puts in a glass and pours buttermilk over it like someone above mentioned but I'm not a buttermilk fan.]
  • singha99
    singha99 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love me some corn bread! The sweeter the better all I need is some corn bread, honey, and butter and i'm set for the night!

^this. just. like. this. but with a tall glass of cold milk. OMG coma time.

My grandpa taught me to put my cornbread into a glass of milk and eat it with a spoon. OMG is that good. Dont knock it until you try it

It is DELICIOUS My Grandad used buttermilk and added just a little bit of sugar. Every August I have this in his memory.
  • singha99
    singha99 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love me some corn bread! The sweeter the better all I need is some corn bread, honey, and butter and i'm set for the night!

^this. just. like. this. but with a tall glass of cold milk. OMG coma time.

My grandpa taught me to put my cornbread into a glass of milk and eat it with a spoon. OMG is that good. Dont knock it until you try it

My granddad ate it that way, but with buttermilk. Uck.

Buttermilk is for baking, dammit.

Mine too! And I'm with you, Kamikaze....can't do the buttermilk thing! Ewwwwww.....!!!!

Yup my granddad liked buttermilk too but he added a little bit of sugar for mine. It really is delicious :-)
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Speaking of grannies, my other granny made the best damn biscuits and pie crust I have ever had. Just plain simple cooking; nothing fancy, just delicious. I think that's really a lost art nowadays. Most of us seem to have not carried on the tradition of plain good cooking and seem to spring for gourmet cuisine (i.e. trolloped-up fancy food or over-complicated recipes peddled by celebrity chefs).

I once saw a recipe online for grits (don't remember if it was Martha Stewart or Paula Deen). Basic grits is made with water, grits and salt--very simple and nutritious (grits have around 45% RDA for iron in one serving). This recipe had cheese and about 3 other extra ingredients added to it.

Don't get me wrong, I do like cheese grits but it was just kind of funny because the attached blurb vaguely referred to the fact that grits were previously a staple of those with a low socio-economic status but that grits could now be dressed up and made appealing to everyone. It was just weird, reading it with that angle.

Grits = good.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Mix up whatever cornbread recipe you like but then fry it by the spoonful in a cast iron skillet.

I will not be held responsible for any adverse reactions or addictions that result if you try this.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

Had to check where you're from. Surprised it was IL. My grandpop on my mom's side is from the mountains in central PA. They put white rice in milk with sugar and also "Blueberry Pudding" which is not pudding at all, but this, also in a bowl with milk and sugar. It's divine:

P1020275.JPG

http://rediscoveringgrandma.blogspot.com/2010/06/blueberry-pudding.html
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options

79 cents at my store.
    [/quote]

I use Jiffy Mix to make corn pancakes. Slather that up with butter and maple syrup and it's just about as good as...nah, never mind, NOTHING is ever THAT good! But it IS yummy!
    [/quote]

The "country" word for those are hoecakes. Get your minds out of the gutter! lol
    In the past, men working in the fields would clean and then heat up their shovels over a fire and cook a cornmeal-based pancake on their hoes, using it as a griddle.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    My dad always made it with a can of creamed sweet corn. I can only eat sweet corn cake now. And I always scoop it out of the pan with an ice cream scoop, just like my dad did. Best served with chili.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    has to be in cast iron skillet. Best ever!

cornbread.jpg.html?filters[term]=cornbread&filters[primary]=images&sort=1&o=60

I refuse to bake it any other way!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    cast iron skillet with honey butter
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Cast Iron skillet
    Collard Greens
    Black Eyed Peas

Tarheel girl...
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Still have no idea wtf corn bread is.

I'm from the deep South and make a really good cornbread. I see you're a baker. It's a mix of flour, cornmeal, an egg, buttermilk, sugar, and Crisco. I don't like mine super sweet like some people. No bacon grease in mine though. Mine has a finer texture than other recipes--kind of like cake.

I do my cornmeal a little different. I mix equal parts self rising white corn meal mix and yellow corn meal mix to get my cornmeal base.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

You must first stir to sift and then level the dry ingredients. No heaping measurements. And do not tap the measuring cup so you can add more.

Into a mixing bowl, add:

1 c. flour, self rising
    1 c. cornmeal base
    1/2 c. Crisco
    1/4 c. sugar

Stir together above ingredients. Use a pastry blender and cut Crisco into the dry ingredients until the flour mixture is the size of a grain of rice throughout.

Add:

1 egg slightly beaten. Egg Beaters works too.
    1 c. buttermilk

Pour wet ingredients into dry mix.
    Stir only until moistened. Over stirring makes it gummy.

Immediately pour into a greased 8"-9" cast iron frying pan. Bacon grease can be used, but Pam works, too. I don't heat my pan first, but my husband does. He likes a thicker, darker crust. I like it my way. It has more of a cake texture my way. I use a loaf pan, muffin tins, and/or a flat Corning Wear dish sometimes too.

Bake until the top is golden brown. Take it out of the oven and turn it out onto a plate. I cut mine upside down so it doesn't get smushed in.

Add real butter and enjoy!

1/8 of a batch with no butter, etc., is:

200 calories
    30 g carbs
    7 g fat
    4 g protein
    9 calcium
    74 potassium

OR
    79 cents at my store.

Hell yes! I love me some Jiffy...especially with a little creamed corn and jalapeños. Delish.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm, Jiffy Corn Bread. Yummies!!!!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    cat head biscuits > cornbread
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    DEEP SOUTH HERE: You must use lard and preheat your iron skillet to get that rich brown crust. Then tons of butter and anything else you like. Pot liquor included.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I like my cornbread with a can of creamed corn added, and some wrapped coins.
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Cornbread is by far the simplest and most delicious treat there is!
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Traditionally lard was used not crisco. It's much better that way.

Yes lard is much better for cornbread but even in the southern groceries it is getting harder and harder to find. But when made right there is no better bread out there. You can add things like peppers or cheese but nothing beats the original..corn meal, grease (lard or crisco), eggs, and buttermilk! NOTICE THAT THERE WAS NO SUGAR IN THAT!!!!! Sugar is only added to corn muffins for our northern friends who think that tastes good.