Anyone accept a weight that wasn't their "ultimate goal"?

Options
I had a baby 18 months ago and pre-baby I was 134 and a size 4 (I'm 5'6''). I was really happy at that weight but I worked out a lot, cycled 100miles a week and weight lifted 3-4x a week. I have been maintaining at about 140 for a year and I'm now a size 6 or 8. My diet is similar, 1600-1800 calories a day (I use a food scale), but I'm not working out as often (weight lifting 2x a week).

For the past year I've had MFP set to "lose 1lb" a week, but I'm obviously eating too much/not exercising enough to lose the last 6lbs. I'm a full-time working mom and I just don't have the time, energy or motivation to workout like that anymore. Anyone experience this? I feel like I should stop feeling like "I can't lose weight" and just accept that I am in maintenance and at this stage in my life this is good enough.

Replies

• SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Well I’m creeping up on my goal weight which is 125/130ish and I believe I weighed in on the 1st at a little bit under 135. I’m 5’5” and 35 yo. BUT I don’t like my body composition AT ALL because I’m still squishy in all my areas. I know if I changed what I ate I’d see much better results, I’m guessing my body fat percentage would go down—-so I’m not accepting this stall I’m having as of late. I think if you like what you see star there. If you don’t then work on what you can when you can and you’ll get to where you want to be eventually.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I finally gave in and am going the slow recomp route right now. I'm still hoping to see the scale move more once my body adapts to my workouts, but I just can't handle eating less right now and working out the way I am. I'm 39/F/5'7" ~155 right now, size 6-8 depending on if there's vanity sizing or not. I could eat at a steeper deficit, I've got fat to lose, but my workouts are more important and I'm already dealing with enough hunger at a slight deficit, so meh. As long as my measurements are going the right direction, I'm okay with the scale being stuck.

That being said, before I let myself get fat, I had found that there was a "happy weight" for my body (at that time it was 126-131). In that range, I didn't feel deprived, I didn't have to watch every morsel going into my mouth, and I maintained there. Ideally I wanted to be a little less, more like 124/125ish, but my body just did NOT want to stay there. In fact, the only time I stayed at that lower weight was during my black belt testing when my activity was off the charts (and I was eating everything in sight). Once that was over, right back to my "happy weight."
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have lost and regained weight before because of illness, and because of my prior experience, i set a higher weight as my initial goal. At that point, I plan on re-evaluating and deciding if I want to focus on the scale, inches, or a size, or just simply fitness.

I would ask if you had nursed and if so, how recently you stopped. That can take a little time to bounce back from. Honestly, even just pregnancy can take the rest of your body a little more time to recover from. I'm not talking about working out or losing weight. Your bones moved to make room for a person. When I first lost weight and got to my ideal weight my daughter was 6 months old (I was ill) and I wore a larger size at that weight than I did at 4 pounds more 8 years later. And it wasn't vanity sizing, several different brands, both sizes, bought the same year.

If you decide to just maintain, I wouldn't rule out trying again down the road. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I did nurse, but only until she was 8 months old. My hips and rib cage have definitely spread so that could be part of it. I also know that my body fat percentage is higher, I am much "softer" than before.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Also consider giving yourself more time before you decide. I am below pre-pregnancy weight, but it took a while for me to get there. Initial I was able to lose a certain amount of weight postpartum and I too was softer at a similar weight, but over time you can get back down.