How to determine between lightly active and moderately active

Hi everyone! I like to use health status calorie calculator as it gives dates which keeps me motivated - the calculator is here if anyone is interested: https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/how-to-lose-weight-fast

I am trying to figure out if I am lightly active or moderately active. I walk 12,000 steps Monday-Friday and I do cardio at the gym 4-5 days a week for 35mins.

I am 25 - F - 63kg, my goal is 55kg.

Advice appreciated! Thank you :)

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    edited February 2018
    If you're talking about for MFP then you should be taking only non-exercise into account. They use NEAT method of calculation, not TDEE.

So you need to consider how active you are in your work/home/school life not what you do at the gym. If the bulk of your steps Mon-Fri are incidental rather than from going out for a walk or a run then you should consider yourself moderately active. If they are from running or going out for walks, lightly active and log the walking/running.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    It's not worth agonizing about, in practice. Just pick one, and go with it for 4-6 weeks, then adjust as needed based on actual weight loss results.

As noted above, if you're using MFP as designed, you don't include intentional exercise in your activity level, which is just intended to reflect daily life routine. MFP intends you to record deliberate exercise separately, then eat those calories back.

Also, with 8kg to lose, it's not healthful to lose weight "fast". To stay strong and healthy while losing, 0.5 kg is the absolute maximum sensible weekly loss, and 0.25kg would be a better choice now and certainly so after the first 2-3 kg come off.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's not worth agonizing about, in practice. Just pick one, and go with it for 4-6 weeks, then adjust as needed based on actual weight loss results.

As noted above, if you're using MFP as designed, you don't include intentional exercise in your activity level, which is just intended to reflect daily life routine. MFP intends you to record deliberate exercise separately, then eat those calories back.

Also, with 8kg to lose, it's not healthful to lose weight "fast". To stay strong and healthy while losing, 0.5 kg is the absolute maximum sensible weekly loss, and 0.25kg would be a better choice now and certainly so after the first 2-3 kg come off.

Agreed. The difference between the 2 isn't significant for most (though could be if you're on a pretty low intake overall). Regardless, pick 1 and go with it. In most cases, it's probably better to error on the conservative (low) side when unsure, but some trial and error is part of the process when starting out.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    Just set it at sedentary and log ALL activity.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Lightly active if you're not doing much on week ends.