2018 Lent Challenge

MaelynMayhem
MaelynMayhem Posts: 611 Member
Lent this year is from is from February 14 to March 29.

The idea is to give up at one unhealthy thing (you can elect to give up more than one) for the season of Lent) that is in your way of keeping you from becoming the best you that you can. Also the more specific you can be it will help you out than just being vague. You need a plan of action.
Keep it simple, measurable (either you did it or you didn't), attainable (either you can or you can't), realistic (going straight from couch to 5K on day one for every day is not likely), timely (you have until March 29).

Examples:
Cut back on sweets by no longer eating dessert at dinner
Cut back time sitting on the couch by getting up and doing exercises during commercial breaks.
Cut back on negative self-feedback by taking time to acknowledge to yourself what you have done good instead of focusing on what you have missed out on or made a mistake.

Introduction
I'm from a small city in Missouri. I have a long history of being overweight. I have had periods where I have lost weight and gained it back, party due to diet and partly due to meds. I am tired of the cycles, in and out of the hospital, and up and down with my weight. I have decided to take the slow and steady route with my weight this time in hopes of it staying down. Why not? It's a path I haven't really focused on before. I'm forty years old, I have mental illness, asthma, PCOS, etc. I have a lot negative mental habits along with a lot of other bad habits with eating and stuff.

My goal for Lent: I'm giving up takeaways. Every time I think about ordering takeaway I am going to go for a walk around the community room at least ten minutes.

Replies

• SMack_25
    SMack_25 Posts: 8 Member
    Hello,
    I will join the Lent Challenge with you. I think this is an excellent challenge.

I'm not exactly sure what I need to give up and being successful while doing it. I'm going to come back with a plan, but I do plan to join. The thought of giving up something for 40 days is scary. Making lifestyle changes is scary.

I'll be back before the 14th.
  • MaelynMayhem
    Those are excellent choices. We all could do with listening more than we speak. I'm going to join you in giving up Facebook for 40 days as well as there's so much drama that goes on there which is impactful of my mood and mindset for the rest of the day.
  • MaelynMayhem
    AMPA0914 wrote: »
    I will join your Lent challenge. I came here specially looking for one. I had a recent bout of food poisoning which assisted with the push past the same two pounds. I am reading the purpose driven life, which is a forty day journey to help determine what purpose God has for my life. I am starting a 10 day smoothie cleanse, one meal a day, I know I cannot work without eating.

My goal is to be better all around. Pray life, health, financial and love life.

Food poisoning is horrible to experience; I'm glad you are feeling better now. You have some admirable goals for Lent season. I more than happy to support you in your journey.
  • wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    I will join the Lent challenge. My challenge will be to limit myself to only 1 cup of coffee in the morning and eliminate the other 4 cups. Between the sugar and creamer I consume a lot of empty calories that are not helping with weight loss.
  • MaelynMayhem
    I will join the Lent challenge. My challenge will be to limit myself to only 1 cup of coffee in the morning and eliminate the other 4 cups. Between the sugar and creamer I consume a lot of empty calories that are not helping with weight loss.

Welcome to the Challenge and great insight into a way to get rid of empty calories!
  • I think I posted that I would like to join this challenge in the wrong spot!
    Goal 1- drink 90-120 oz water each day
    Goal 2- pop/soda 1 can once a week or none at all!
    Goal 3- move my butt at least 25 minutes a day with some sort of activity.
  • Lynngm100
    Lynngm100 Posts: 3 Member
    I was also looking for a Lent challenge. I have a few things in mind but I’ll have a plan tomorrow! Thanks for starting this.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    They want you to start cutting back on sweets on Valentine’s Day?! I’m glad I’m not catholic.
  • MaelynMayhem
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    They want you to start cutting back on sweets on Valentine’s Day?! I’m glad I’m not catholic.

It's just where it landed this year. It varies from year to year when it begins. It also means tomorrow is Fat Tuesday.
  • MaelynMayhem
    I think I posted that I would like to join this challenge in the wrong spot!
    Goal 1- drink 90-120 oz water each day
    Goal 2- pop/soda 1 can once a week or none at all!
    Goal 3- move my butt at least 25 minutes a day with some sort of activity.

These are all great goals to have. I don't know if I could do number two!
  • MaelynMayhem
    @juvier - That is pretty accurate for Catholic time of Lent. It's admirable to take on the challenge. I know several Catholics that struggle with it each time it comes around, both cradle and convert. I have full faith in you that you can do this.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    I would like to join in too.
    I want to give up chocolate and cut down on sugary stuff as much as I can.I absolutely LOVE chocolate and have it in some form few times a day so it won't be easy but I'm fed up of wasting calories on it and I want to feel more in control.

Also anyone doing it feel free to add me for support
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    edited February 2018
    I was looking for a Lent challenge too, I'd be glad to join. Despite not being Catholic I feel Lent is more a state of mind than necessarily a religious belief and it works great with my goals/deadlines too.
    Besides, everyone can do with 40 days of discipline, nutritionally speaking!

So my goals will be:
    goal 1: 2l fluids each day (logged, no excuses!)
    goal 2: stick to diet as it is right now (as of Feb 13th, logged into a separate file for my own reference) as in don't fix what is not broken. There are a few competitions on my calendar in this time, that means sticking to diet before-during-after competition too.

Mslmesq wrote: »

Neither I am, but the point is not about being Catholic, the point is doing something for yourself. Plenty of Catholics do not observe Lent, either.