Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ConwayJosh wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'm aware that fat is essential but the minimum amount necessary for bodily function is less than 10%.

You're conflating bodyfat percentage with dietary intake of fat. Two different things.

This.

Also, you don't get brownie points for protein above your needs and carbs in excess of keeping glycogen stores sufficient. Eat the fat, it's good for you and for fuel.

I don't need or want brownie points, and since I'm in a deficit it's unlikely that my intake of carbs and protein is excessive.

Well in a deficit you will most likely not be building muscle anyway (unless you are overfat, a newbie, or returning to training after time away), in a deficit protein is there to help retain muscle, and carbs are the only macro not required, which is why most people on a cut lower carbs. The differnce in my diet from a cut to a bulk is the amount of carbs.
  • ConwayJosh
    ConwayJosh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    jflongo wrote: »
    Please explain when you say you want more protein and carbs for muscle building? How many grams are you trying to get?
    Roughly 1 gram per pound or slightly less since I'm in a deficit, or 30-45 g per meal to help protein synthetic response. Carbs are where I put the rest of the calories. 248g protein daily and I believe 310 ish grams of carbs.

Personally, I would still up healthy fats a little to 15 - 20%, but up to you. I'm set to 35% carbs, 40% protein, 25% fat, and I'm losing a little of weight and gaining muscles and strength.

So you are 248 lbs is what you are saying?
    I'm 256 so it is slightly less but considering my bf% I'm sure it's ok lol
  • ConwayJosh
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'm aware that fat is essential but the minimum amount necessary for bodily function is less than 10%.

You're conflating bodyfat percentage with dietary intake of fat. Two different things.

This.

Also, you don't get brownie points for protein above your needs and carbs in excess of keeping glycogen stores sufficient. Eat the fat, it's good for you and for fuel.

I don't need or want brownie points, and since I'm in a deficit it's unlikely that my intake of carbs and protein is excessive.

Well in a deficit you will most likely not be building muscle anyway (unless you are overfat, a newbie, or returning to training after time away), in a deficit protein is there to help retain muscle, and carbs are the only macro not required, which is why most people on a cut lower carbs. The differnce in my diet from a cut to a bulk is the amount of carbs.

I'm a deficit granted it's not optimal for building muscle but it's still happening just to smaller degree I believe it's Dr. Shoenfeld and colleagues have done studies to prove you can build muscle while in a deficit.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You could easily up your fat % a little to 15 - 20% and still get more than enough protein for muscle building. Are you trying to lose a lot of weight and gain muscle at the same time?
  • ConwayJosh
    Options
    You could easily up your fat % a little to 15 - 20% and still get more than enough protein for muscle building. Are you trying to lose a lot of weight and gain muscle at the same time?

I'm trying to build muscle as much as possible while in a deficit I'm not opposed to going up if necessary, if I start having issues or cravings I could always bump up to 15-20
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    How long are you planning to go low fat? Over shorter periods of time, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about on paper.

If I'm reading it right... 10% of your cals from a 2500 calorie diet would be about 28g of fat.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

I'm trying to build muscle as much as possible while in a deficit I'm not opposed to going up if necessary, if I start having issues or cravings I could always bump up to 15-20

Any consideration to recomping? You'll likely have better success keeping/building muscle, though the fat loss will take longer (all other things held constant).
  • ConwayJosh
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    How long are you planning to go low fat? Over shorter periods of time, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about on paper.

If I'm reading it right... 10% of your cals from a 2500 calorie diet would be about 28g of fat.

28g is right and 4-8 weeks largely depends on how the diet goes I'd like to get down to 240-245 before I bring calories back up for maintenance for 4-8 weeks
  • ConwayJosh
    Options

Any consideration to recomping? You'll likely have better success keeping/building muscle, though the fat loss will take longer (all other things held constant).

Yes I plan on only cutting for 4-8 weeks before I bring calories back up for that exact reason.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

28g is right and 4-8 weeks largely depends on how the diet goes I'd like to get down to 240-245 before I bring calories back up for maintenance for 4-8 weeks

Assuming you're otherwise healthy and assuming an otherwise reasonable diet, I don't think 8 weeks is going to kill you. I have a hard time believing it's ideal, but you're operating in a world I'm only read on, not actually experienced in... so WTF do I know, lol.
  • ConwayJosh
    Options

Assuming you're otherwise healthy and assuming an otherwise reasonable diet, I don't think 8 weeks is going to kill you. I have a hard time believing it's ideal, but you're operating in a world I'm only read on, not actually experienced in... so WTF do I know, lol.

Vegetables, fruits, lean protein sources, healthy fats. I'm new to this as well that's I posted to get a conversation going.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Any thought to buying the RP templates? Dr. Mike/RP is pretty well respected, and at least that way you'd have some guidance to make sure you stayed between the lines. Plus, it's hard to argue their success, even if they pick-and-choose which clients they use as examples.
  • ConwayJosh
    Options
    Any thought to buying the RP templates? Dr. Mike/RP is pretty well respected, and at least that way you'd have some guidance to make sure you stayed between the lines. Plus, it's hard to argue their success, even if they pick-and-choose which clients they use as examples.

If I had the cash I would in a heartbeat but since I don't I've tried to stay informed and I'm trying this lower fat higher carb diet to help optimize training.
  • jflongo
    Options
    The most import thing is you hit your calorie mark every day, plus enough protein. Other than that just don't go too low on fat, i would stay at least at 15% or so. Just look at Keto diets and others. Some eat super high fat %'s, high protein %, and almost no carbs, while others do it differently. You can throw %'s all around, just make sure you hit your calorie mark and protein.
  • jjpptt2
    edited February 2018
    Options

If I had the cash I would in a heartbeat but since I don't I've tried to stay informed and I'm trying this lower fat higher carb diet to help optimize training.

Gotcha. Good luck. I haven't heard of anyone else on these boards doing it (doesn't mean there aren't any.. just means I'm not aware of them), so I'm curious to see how you make out. Hopefully you stick around and post about how things go.
  • ConwayJosh
    Options
    The most import thing is you hit your calorie mark every day, plus enough protein. Other than that just don't go too low on fat, i would stay at least at 15% or so. Just look at Keto diets and others. Some eat super high fat %'s, high protein %, and almost no carbs, while others do it differently. You can throw %'s all around, just make sure you hit your calorie mark and protein.

The particular issue with low carb is that it depletes glycogen and has been shown at best to maintain muscle and is inferior in that regard to higher carb diets
  • jflongo
    Options

The particular issue with low carb is that it depletes glycogen and has been shown at best to maintain muscle and is inferior in that regard to higher carb diets

Not true. There are many body builders out their doing Keto diets just fine.
  • ConwayJosh
    Options

Gotcha. Good luck. I haven't heard of anyone else on these boards doing it (doesn't mean there aren't any.. just means I'm not aware of them), so I'm curious to see how you make out. Hopefully you stick around and post about how things go.

I will
  • ConwayJosh
    Options

http://sci-fit.net/2017/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/

People do use it but according to science and anecdotal proof it may not be the best strategy.
  • jflongo
    Options

http://sci-fit.net/2017/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/

People do use it but according to science and anecdotal proof it may not be the best strategy.

Don't believe all studies. I have seen many body builders on Keto, that have tons of energy and muscle strength. I don't do Keto personally, but have seen many talk about it. I personally use flexible eating, which you can see here if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URp3bVE99IU

Also a Keto chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Ldxu5wcoE