Favorite Cereal

Options
13»

Replies

• Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Too many so-called 'healthy' cereals are packed with sugar and other junk.

I'll eat almost anything I fancy but if you want to keep it really simple (and therefore not that exciting on taste) Shredded Wheats (UK only?) are fab, and Weetabix.

I like Fruit & Fibre for lots of taste and texture, but it is really sugary.

Or a home crafted muesli made with oats and assorted seeds, flaked almonds, dried fruits.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Oh and I love crunchy nut cornflakes. Omnomnom
  • Annie_ga
    Annie_ga Posts: 72
    Options
    Me too!!!!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Great Grains with pecans and raisins. It might not be THE healthiest choice, but it is my favorite of the better options out there.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I like Special K vanilla almond or cinnamon pecan... I also like Rice Crispies and Corn Flakes... I prefer my cereal with ice cold almond, soy, or Almond/coconut milk... SO GOOD! I also love sweet cereals like froot loops, cookie crisp, and cinnamon toast crunch. Surprisingly I'll have a sweet cereal before I have granola because of the calorie count.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I love Special K Cinnamon Pecan...yum! But most mornings I have a bowl of oatmeal with unsweetened almond milk and some berries. I usually add a touch of no cal sweetener too. It's so filling and quick to make. Or, if you want to be even healthier, get steel cut oats, there's all kinds of crock pot recipes. You can make that on Sunday and portion it out for your breakfasts for the week. I do like most of the Cascadian Farm cereals but they add some filler to it for fiber and that causes some embarrassing problems for me, if you get my drift. Might be fine for others, but that's how it affects me, so none of that for work days for sure! Other than cereal, have a cup of greek yogurt with berries, also filling, quick and delicious! Add a piece of fruit and you're ready for the day.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    To me, cereal is empty calories, because I'll eat whatever and always be hungry throughout the rest of the morning, even when paired with fruit, so I tend to not eat cereal or when I rarely do it will be for dinner, and I pick whichever i like and fit into my macros

Usually its Honey Nut Cheerios, Captain Crunch Berries, PB Crunch, or Raisin Bran Crunch
  • Tldavis3s
    Tldavis3s Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Special K Cinnamon Pecan is awesome! But I agree with the others that most cereal is about the same. I just really like the taste of this cereal. I ate it before my lifestyle change with no thought to if it was healthier! I do enjoy it with some Vanilla Almond milk :)
  • dmcginnis89
    Options
    I made a shake/smoothie in the morning! I use kale, V8 fusion splash, and frozen fruits! sometimes i add some protein powder or veggie supplements sometimes. They look ugly and green, but all i can taste is the fruit! i've found that they wake me up better than coffee too!

just google green smoothie recipies!

and if you want to stick with cereal...oats! plain oats and doctor them up however you want!
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Special K cinnamon pecan, Cinnamon toast crunch or honey nut cheerios. I also just discovered Oat Revolution steel cut oatmeal (maple and brown sugar) Omg, so good and so filling! So that is what I am sticking with right now.
  • christarae1
    christarae1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cereal, and am real picky when it comes to it! My favorite healthy one is Fiber Plus Antioxidants Berry Yogurt Crunch! It is the best.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's not "healthy" but it's french vanilla almond granola by cascadian farms
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    In my cupboard:
    Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal
    Trader Joe's Multigrain O's Cereal
    Kashi 7 Whole Grain Cereal
    Nature's Path Heritage Flakes
    Trader Joe's Bran Flakes

All of these are fairly low in sugar, have decent fiber count, and are fairly low fat. Cereal is only a small part of my breakfast, because I have it with a whole small banana, plus berries and/or peaches, when they are in season, along with plain yogurt or plain kefir and walnuts.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Healthy?
    Hot: Grape Nuts
    Cold: Frosted Mini Wheats

All Time?
    Hot: Cream of Wheat
    Cold: Cocoa Puffs

Dirty Dirty Yum?:
    Hot: Oatmeal with butter and Log Cabin
    Cold: Lucky Charms
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Talking about cereals, came across this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ews7yp2Hn2o

I'm guilty of what's mentioned in this documentary.. I am still somewhat attached to my childhood cereal.. i.e. koko krunch and coco pops..

I was rarely ever allowed sugary cereals as a kid. My childhood cereals were Shredded Wheat (the big, giant, ones, no bite-sized), Grape Nuts, regular Cheerios, Chex, and plain Kix. And the rare box of Life. When I got older, we had Total Raisin Bran, some Quaker crispy oatmeal cereal I forget the name of, and one that I think may have been called Corn Bran, but I'm not certain of the name.

When we went to my grandmother's house in Oregon once a year, we got to eat Captain Crunch while there.

My husband is still occasionally surprised by the cereals I've never had. Most "kids" cereals I didn't have for the first time until I was an adult. I just had my very first taste of Apple Jacks the beginning of last week. I'm 34. heh
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I guess you have never compared cereal labels. Many of the so called "healthy" cereals are similar to "kid" cereals.

Not sure why you would be concerned about that little amount of sugar anyway...
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I guess you have never compared cereal labels. Many of the so called "healthy" cereals are similar to "kid" cereals.

Not sure why you would be concerned about that little amount of sugar anyway...

Yup, that was exactly why I only posted the nutrition info of the cereals I had and no names. One of them is one that has been said multiple times here as a healthy cereal and I'd bet people would be hard pressed to figure out which one it was of the three. (The other two were "kids" cereals). Once labels are compared, all cereals are pretty much the same. With a few upswings in stats for high calorie cereals like Shredded Mini Wheats (the frosted ones, not the plain ones).