WTH is a “crisp”

Options
124»

Replies

• dazzyboy29
    dazzyboy29 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AMC110 wrote: »
    And biscuits are cookies, tho we also have biscuits in the UK which are called cookies (usually chocolate chip)

And just to confuse everyone even more we Brits sometimes refer to crackers as biscuits (as in the menu course 'cheese and biscuits' meaning to 'cheese and crackers' rather than the less appetising 'cheese and cookies')

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    TEQWAR wrote: »
    Biscuit quite literally means "twice cooked" from Latin bis, twice; + Latin coctus, past participle of coquere, to cook. So the things you call biscuits... aren't. :)

This is true, and there is a biscuit or cookie made in Tuscany which is baked twice. They are called tozzeto and are made in a flat loaf shape which is sliced when still warm from the oven and then the slices are put back in the oven. The cookies have almond pieces in them and are hard--used for dipping in wine after dinner.
  • dazzyboy29
    dazzyboy29 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    dazzyboy29 wrote: »
    I know they don't vacuum, they Hoover. They put an s after the word math. And they order a lemonade in a bar when they clearly mean Sprite and/or 7 Up. Things aren't all set. They're sorted. And they're obsessed with the words lovely and brilliant. Oh and their use of the word partner and what it means to them. Don't even get me started.

We order lemonade in a bar because that's clearly what we Brits want, but you lovely and brilliant Yanks don't have it so we end up getting Sprite or 7Up (which is actually lemon and lime)!

That's funny. I served in American restaurants for 20 years. When I asked the very steady stream of touring Brits what lemonade was to them they said "that fizzy drink that's clear in colour and flavoured with lemon." Our lemonade is fresh or re-constituted lemon juice with added still water and flavored with sugar. It's opaque with a gently yellow hue and is, of course, not carbonated.

Sounds more like homemade lemon squash. We also have an opaque lemonade but that's called cloudy lemonade and is obviously carbonated. I like drinking it as I walk along the pavement before taking the lift up to my flat.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand what happened there in Afghanistan from your paragraphs above but I'd be willing to give it a listen.

Well they generally couldn't work out if I was gay or not.
    The American use of the word partner isn't narrow though. We have business partners (most common usage to describe a partnership), square dancing partners, workout partners, investment partners, lab partners and partners in crime.

All of which are common usage in the UK.
    A life partner is known as a wife or a husband in the U.S.

Well that wouldn't be accurate for an individual that one isn't married to.

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Crisps are chips. (just in case someone didn't answer it yet. Didn't read thread.)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Oh and their use of the word partner and what it means to them. Don't even get me started.

I never appreciated the narrow USian use of partner until I was in Afghanistan and running a team that was largely made up of DoD, USMC and US Army.

We were about four months in when one worked up the courage to ask for clarification. Absolutely hysterical.

He couldn't proffer an alternative term though.

I'm not sure I understand what happened there in Afghanistan from your paragraphs above but I'd be willing to give it a listen.

The American use of the word partner isn't narrow though. We have business partners (most common usage to describe a partnership), square dancing partners, workout partners, investment partners, lab partners and partners in crime.

Okay okay we do have sex partners too. But shortening sex partner to the word partner was commonplace only within a certain subgenre until more recently that it's made it's way into becoming a the mainstream way of describing bed buddies.

When you guys say partner you always seem to mean... well, you know.

Howdy.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    JustSomeJD wrote: »
    This just got confusing. Fries or potato chips?

OH and I am a true Southerner and this will always be my one and only buscuit, now craving biscuits.

jfae84s3paml.gif

That looks like what I'd call dumplings, and would cook in a stew for about the last ten minutes or so.
    You can do that with them too, but they tatse better cooked on their own, with butter and jam :)
  • Momepro
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Tallawah_ wrote: »
    Oh people purleeez! To us Brits fries and chips are not the same thing! If we went to a fish and chip shop and were given fries we would be VERY upset! :lol:

6ocdo54vwaed.jpg

You actually use 'fries' in the UK too?

Those chips are "steak fries" to me :D
  • Momepro
    Options
    And the made up word "carer" has really taken off there. Pronounced Kaera in merry olde and is largely unpronounceable in American because we make the r sound guttural and generally gurgle and strangle on it. Hence we use the proper terms nursemaid, handmaiden or indentured servant.

Much like the weird American pronunciation of "caramel"?

I say Karmell. Should it be more like caravan?

I've always used both interchangeably, and spelled both gray and grey, depending on whichever spelling pops into my head first.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I'm South African. Shall I throw a toolbox into the works here?

Chips - the crunchy kind
    Fries - those bits of cardboard you get from McD's
    Slap chips - thick cut potatoes deep fried
    Pancakes - crepes (best with cinnamon sugar, strawberries and cream, or Nutella rolled up)
    Flapjacks - those smaller things that you stack and drizzle syrup or honey over
    Fritters - similar to flapjacks only made with pumpkin or potatoes

Moving onto traffic
    Boot - the part of the car where all your junk gets stashed
    Bonnet - where the engine lives
    Cubby hole - where your cd case are kept for easy access when driving
    Robot - They change colour to tell you who has right of way at an intersection
    Bakkie - a multipurpose vehicle with a bin and a removable canopy
    Truck - They transport heavy loads and usually have 8 or more tyres
    Taxi - a vehicle that seats 10 people but transports 20 at a time

I'm sure there's more, but I'm tired
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just thought of another one... Brits would definitely raise an eyebrow if you called a 'bum bag' a 'fanny pack'.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    As an American I don’t get a lot of the lingo of our international community. What is a “crisp”?

My wife is British. Strangely enough, they say crisps for potato chips. That's like the crunchy Pringles chips. Then of course they say chips for the cooked strips of potato some might call french fries or simply fries.
  • Momepro
    Options
    I remember an Australian exchange student being shocked when a friend said they were "p!$$ed"in class one day. And apparently r√bbers have a VERY different meaning out of the US.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'm South African. Shall I throw a toolbox into the works here?

Chips - the crunchy kind
    Fries - those bits of cardboard you get from McD's
    Slap chips - thick cut potatoes deep fried
    Pancakes - crepes (best with cinnamon sugar, strawberries and cream, or Nutella rolled up)
    Flapjacks - those smaller things that you stack and drizzle syrup or honey over
    Fritters - similar to flapjacks only made with pumpkin or potatoes

Moving onto traffic
    Boot - the part of the car where all your junk gets stashed
    Bonnet - where the engine lives
    Cubby hole - where your cd case are kept for easy access when driving
    Robot - They change colour to tell you who has right of way at an intersection
    Bakkie - a multipurpose vehicle with a bin and a removable canopy
    Truck - They transport heavy loads and usually have 8 or more tyres
    Taxi - a vehicle that seats 10 people but transports 20 at a time

I'm sure there's more, but I'm tired

I have some SA friends, and found it hilarious the first time I heard them call traffic lights, robots!

In regards to the food, in Australia we have pancakes (big and thick), crepes (big and thin), and pikelets (mini pancakes). Maccas sells "hotcakes", but I'd call them pancakes. Flapjack to me is also a little pancake (interchangeable with pikelets), which gets confusing in the UK as their flapjacks are sweet, oat based bars.
  • JustSomeJD
    JustSomeJD Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Just thought of another one... Brits would definitely raise an eyebrow if you called a 'bum bag' a 'fanny pack'.

Yeah we'll, it's not our fault they call THAT a "fanny". :lol: My mom once had a dog named fanny, always made me chuckle when I thought about it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This just got confusing. Fries or potato chips?

OH and I am a true Southerner and this will always be my one and only buscuit, now craving biscuits.

jfae84s3paml.gif

That looks like what I'd call dumplings, and would cook in a stew for about the last ten minutes or so.
    You can do that with them too, but they tatse better cooked on their own, with butter and jam :)

In that photo it looks too dense to be a scone. I'd be disappointed to take them out of the oven
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Yeah we'll, it's not our fault they call THAT a "fanny". :lol: My mom once had a dog named fanny, always made me chuckle when I thought about it.

The english derivation is late 18thC to mid 19thC, whereas the US derivation appears to be early 20thC.

As with much naval slang, common usage has deviated. In 19thC naval usage a fanny was the bucket used to carry rations from the galley to the mess table, before it was dished out to individual plates.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

Well they generally couldn't work out if I was gay or not.

All of which are common usage in the UK.

Well that wouldn't be accurate for an individual that one isn't married to.

I'm going to go with not but of course I don't know.

Whenever I've heard or read a Brit using the word "partner", let's just say they weren't talking about business, investments, square dancing, laboratory experiments, policeman walking the beat or crime duos. Often they were talking about a legally married couple. But it seems to be more palatable there to lump the term in with other types of domestic partnerships lacking the legal, religious or life commitment traditionally associated with formal marriage.

I see what you mean, although wouldn't see the wide range of usages as unusual. In a business context I'd expect the usage in a more legalistic sense, as a partner in professional services has duties and obligations that don't apply in other business arrangements.

With respect to other usages, in the UK for a long time civil partnerships weren't described as marriage, because elements of the upper house objected when the legislation came in. It's changed more recently, so we might see an evolution. I have a friend and her wife who generally use that descriptor.

I'd also observe that in the UK religion is a much more private matter, except in Northern Ireland and West Central Scotland, where we've experienced sectarian terrorism for many years. I don't think I could tell the religion of the majority of my work colleagues, except one who wears a Kara. I can say with some certainty that none of them know my philosophical leanings in that respect.

It may be that it's because marriage isn't the hot-button that it appears to be in the US.