Is eating this bad 1 week in?

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Good and tasty kibble that is just right without being too much or too little is an art all by itself and not easy to figure out! Add in there balancing the nutritional component with the tasty component without over-doing anything on a consistent basis... it takes more than a couple of days to figure things out :wink: Slow down, smell the roses, and have some rice and seasoning.

Stick your weigh ins in a trending weight app (Happy Scale, Libra, Trendweight.com, Weightgrapher.com) and avoid reacting to pure water weight variations while concentrating on the underlying weight trend.

The 3300 figure was pulled out of thin air. It was based on your stated desire to lose 40lbs and your timescale of 90 days (so 1556 Cal a day deficit) and based on what you said you were eating.

The reality is that your initial weight loss hints at you going even faster (i.e. currently having an even bigger deficit than that) but it is really WAY too early to be able to tell as even with males anything less than a few weeks cannot show a reliable trend due to water weight fluctuations. (and by water weight we are not talking the amount of water you drink or whether you're "hydrated" but that is a whole other subject)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    rbarnov wrote: »
    Rice and seasoning. Too early in diet process. I ate omelette, sardines, cucumber salad, almonds and berry smoothies since Monday and have went from 225-216lbs. I think that’s progress. I don’t want rice and salt to mess this up. It’s hard enough not drinking wine and beer.

??

I don't understand why you'd think rice and seasoning would be a problem.

I eat rice 5 days a week, and often add seasoning to my food because it tastes good.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Your lunch sounds good with either quinoa or rice. Seasoning with sodium may make you gain water weight, but it helps you enjoy the taste of food without adding many calories, so that's good.

If you want to add extras, salsas are low calorie, and so is low fat sour cream or Greek yogurt. Or lime juice. Avocado is not low calorie (I wish!) but is nutritious and it's not bad to add a little fat to a meal.

Your deadline may be a little optimistic. It's better to give yourself a little slack and develop habits you can maintain for a lifetime than to go hard and burn out.
  • mikefromhaddonfield
    Options
    Thanks for the positive info jimmy and thanks rhedd.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    So ur saying I should be eating 3300 calories. It will take forever to lose weight.

I guess I could have some steak, chicken, broccoli and sweet potato’s. Too much found though. But that’s why I’m asking.

Did you put the weight on in three months? Because it won’t come off that quickly without doing some major damage to your body.
  • mikefromhaddonfield
    Options
    Thanks so much wex65. Great post. Thanks for the knowledge. It explains a lot.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Rice and seasoning. Too early in diet process. I ate omelette, sardines, cucumber salad, almonds and berry smoothies since Monday and have went from 225-216lbs. I think that’s progress. I don’t want rice and salt to mess this up. It’s hard enough not drinking wine and beer.

Are you doing a low-carb diet deliberately or something? I am, so I wouldn’t eat rice after a week or a month for that matter, but low-carb isn’t the only way to lose weight. What you need to do is burn more energy than you consume. The only thing that really matters is finding a menu that you enjoy and feel satisfied on without eating as much of it as your body really wants day after day.

Not really. Just trying to get down to 185lbs. I’m doing spin class and swimming outside every night. Plus playing hockey 3 nights a week. Just trying to not eat fast food, or drink and keep my calories between 1200-1500.

Want to lose the 40lbs in 3 months. Trying to stay focused. Thanks for the insight Molly.

Holy unrealistic goals! The weight didn't go on in four months....it won't come off in four months.

Crash dieting is not only unhealthy but does not work long term. If you want to not the only lose the weight and keep it off you need to slow down.

I lost 47 pounds last year. Over an 11 month period. Feels good and I am healthier and didn't do any extreme amounts of exercise.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I think you are too focused on losing weight quickly, and have absorbed a lot of misinformation. No blame to you, there's an awful lot of it out there and we all fall for it from time to time.

Weight loss is a long game, not a quick fix. You need to be thinking about sustainability and maintenance from the very outset. That means losing weight on a diet you are willing to live on for the rest of your life.

That means making small changes you can stick with, still eating the foods you love, and losing weight slowly. Starving yourself or living on "diet food" are not sustainable strategies.

Are you really willing to live without taco shells and rice until the day you die? If not, eat them now, just in a modest portion, and track the calories.

And don't obsess over the scale. It will fluctuate. You are looking for an average downward trend, not a clockwork loss from week to week.

These forums have a wealth of good information. Read people's stories, read the questions and answers, the stickies. Commit to being consistent and determined - not perfect. Imperfection is never a valid excuse to give up. That's how people end up at 450lb.

Good luck! You can do this.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I started a diet after the sb. Doing great. Going to the store for meal prep tomorrow. Would it be bad to mix turkey meat, low sodium taco seasoning, black beans, corn and brown rice? Should I use quinoa instead. Thanks in advance.

Don't try to re-vamp your entire diet overnight. Look for dietary changes that can become forever changes.

I use beef in tacos because I like the taste better than ground turkey. You can buy low fat ground beef (too) it's just more expensive. Look at labels, make sure your turkey/beef is actually lower fat.

Low sodium taco mix - do you have medical issues that require you to eat lower sodium?

Brown rice has a few MINIMAL nutritional advantages over white rice. I just eat the type of rice I prefer.

Try quinoa...see if you like the taste.

Losing weight is about taking in fewer calories. You can lose weight eating foods you like.....just in smaller portions.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Yes. If I could use taco shells. Lol

Old El Paso crunchy taco shells, 3 for 150 cals. Use riced cauliflower instead of rice and saute it up with your protein and some aromatics and maybe other veg (finely chopped broccoli or sprouts are also great fibrous filler for this mix). Killer tacos and save on the rice cals.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes. If I could use taco shells. Lol

Old El Paso crunchy taco shells, 3 for 150 cals. Use riced cauliflower instead of rice and saute it up with your protein and some aromatics and maybe other veg (finely chopped broccoli or sprouts are also great fibrous filler for this mix). Killer tacos and save on the rice cals.

Good idea. I would definitely sacrifice the rice before losing the taco shells. Gotta have that crunch.
  • mikefromhaddonfield
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks.