Those of us who are Obese

Options
I am currently attempting to lose as much as I can. I am currently down 22lbs - a bit feat for me. My starting weight was at my heaviest 272; I am currently down to 250lbs. Anyone have any good ideas to help with lose a large amount of weight (again being obese not looking to lose weight fast) and the best advice in doing so?

Currently I walk a 1/2 mile a day currently and ride an indoor cycle for 30-45 minutes 4 days a week. I have been doing some work outs at work (push ups against wall, tricept dips on my chair, and finally attempting to do modified lunges.)

In December I dislocated my knee, 2 days before my birthday no less!! But I have been doing the low carb diet with the work outs and seem to be doing better.

Please share your stories/ideas/support here!

Replies

• Mannerizms07
    Mannerizms07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am actually looking to buy a bike when I get my taxes back, this way I will be riding the bike to and from work daily... summer is going to be a killer for me (I live in Arizona, gets to 114+ daily!) but looking to add something a little extra to my work outs! I have seen to stop depending on the scale as I am seeing myself starting to tighten in my midsection! :smiley:
  • Mannerizms07
    edited February 2018
    Options
    So I started doing a toning/strength training I will focus on one part of my body (per day) and this is for 3 days a week (due to my work schedule) the other 4 days is straight cardio (riding my indoor cycle then adding my bike when I use that to go to work!)
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I started at about 260 lbs, that was 14 months ago, I'm now 166, but still got a way to go.

You've made a great start, the key is finding what works for you, and what you are happy with. If it's not comfortable and you are not happy with it, then you won't sustain it in the long term.

I made small changes, and then kept adding to them over time. I don't drink any sugared drinks, and stay active. I found I loved the gym, that has become a habit. Find what you like to do and make sure it develops into a long term habit. Motivation can come and go, but habits stay. I tried different gym classes, and now regularly do Zumba and BodyCombat. I also like the treadmill and rowing machine, easier to use with headphones watch TV or with a you tube playlist.

As everyone says, the most important thing is the calorie deficit. Exercise does help, it increases health, and also helps to increase the deficit a bit.

I would also advocate lifting, I'm sure it has helped me retain muscle during weight loss, and I feel much better for it.

Good luck,
  • Mannerizms07
    Options
    Well I want to post the work outs I have been doing (and honestly I LOVE them!)

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: Cardio on my indoor cylce 25-35 minutes, walk for 45 mins - 2 hours (permitting my work hours)

Thursday: Arm workouts
    Friday: Chest Workouts
    Saturday: Leg day (beast mode!)

I felt so much more energenic after doing these now. I am just frustrated this week as my cardio is really being messed up from people calling out constantly (sometimes/ALL the time, being a manager sucks!) But I will make it up if I ever get days off!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    gtm197 wrote: »
    One attributes it all to rowing, but she's old. The young ones lift to keep and build muscle and muscle is what makes a body shapely.

I’m 65 and lift 3-4x a week. 65 is not old my friend. Not sure what point you’re making by saying “but she’s old, the young ones lift....”

Think he was making an inside joke...
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I started out at 300 and am now at 240. I also have a powerlifting total of 1145 and am working on hitting a 1200 total by the end of this year. I am not losing more as weight loss effects my lifts and I have a 38" waist now and will likely hit 36" by April at the same weight.

My advice would be 3 main things.
    1. Calorie deficit is more important than anything else for weight loss. Keto, intermittent fasting, or any other trendy diet doesn't really matter as long as you are in a deficit.
    2. Start a beginner program from http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1 . It really doesn't matter the one you pick, but I do prefer Starting Strength. The reason is you will lose muscle during a weight loss. You can combat this by lifting. The beginner programs listed here work. Many of us have tried them and proven that they do work.
    3. This brings me to the something many don't think of with exercise and training. You need your recovery. Make sure not to sabotage your progress by not sleeping enough or trying to lose to quick. Once you start seeing the progress you might think if I go a bit more into deficit I'll lose faster or I can train 7 days a week. This is not healthy and if training cardio or strength it can *kitten* up what you are attempting to accomplish.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: Cardio on my indoor cylce 25-35 minutes, walk for 45 mins - 2 hours (permitting my work hours)

I felt so much more energenic after doing these now. I am just frustrated this week as my cardio is really being messed up from people calling out constantly (sometimes/ALL the time, being a manager sucks!) But I will make it up if I ever get days off!

It is great that you have started resistant training, but working one body at a time, so only once a week really is not optimal.

You would do much better doing a full body work out on those 3 days then all muscles will be strengthened equally including those muscles you don't think about that help with stabilization.

I mentioned Nerdfitness up thread, if that does not suit you look at other programmes that work the whole body.

There are a lot in YouTube, different fitness sites, and listed in this thread-
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

It is of course totally up to you, I, from personal experience, think you would do better, and see better results, following an established full body workout.

Cheers, h.

Posted same time as @Okiludy, totally agree with point 3. Rest, recovery, and fuelling are as important as the workouts. Burnout can really sabotage ones goals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

You need to find a balance between loving your workouts and doing a routine that's effective - because that is a simply awful lifting routine.
    Sorry but you could use your time so much more efficiently and why you do consecutive cardio and then consecutive strength workouts is a complete mystery.
  • thesatchito
    thesatchito Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hey, they say this all the time but it’s worth repeating, your weight loss is 70% in the kitchen and 30% at the gym. You can’t be completely healthy without exercise but for losing weight is mostly about what you eat.

I was about 350lb at my heaviest and I did the low carb diet for a while but it only took me to around 280lb. My advice here is the same my doctor gave me, you can only get so far with low carb because it can be deceiving! One day you’re eating bacon and is perfectly fine but the next day you will start gaining weight because you’re not having a considerable calorie deficit.

There’s no way around it, you have to eat less calories than what you use, period.

MyFitnessPal helped me get to 238lb and my goal is 210 (I’m 6ft tall), it’s all about combining the foods you eat and not going over the calorie limit, the bulk of what I eat nowadays are veggies and different kind of proteins (chicken, beef, protein bars as snacks) but last night I had a banana muffin and it’s totally fine because I saved some calories having coffee without milk in the morning and my lunch salad without my regular piece of bread to go with it. Find combos that work for you.

One last tip, I usually put plenty of hot sauce on my food, or eat jalapenos or other peppers because the spiciness makes me feel more satisfied, maybe because when your mouth is on fire you can’t just inhale your plate, you have to pace yourself lol!

Kee it up!!!!