Today someone told me "I need to stop losing weight"

Options
124»

Replies

• J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I think that people's perceptions and ways of describing weight are very skewed.

Like in America someone who is morbidly obese can just be called 'big' or carrying 'a little extra', the vast majority of people have no idea just how overweight most people actually are, including themselves.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My family has always told me I'm too fat or too skinny. I'd have thought I'd get at least one day in there where I was "just right" but nope. Never.
    That's family. Especially grandmas. She's not trying to derail you. It's just what she knows. Keep up the good work. She'll get over it.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    J_Fairfax wrote: »
    I think that people's perceptions and ways of describing weight are very skewed.

Like in America someone who is morbidly obese can just be called 'big' or carrying 'a little extra', the vast majority of people have no idea just how overweight most people actually are, including themselves.

Yes! I've lost a little over 60 pounds. Everyone told me that they can't believe that, that I was not fat before. I'm certainly not stick thin now. People said "well you were a little chunky, but not very big". Well, math does not lie haha. I had the weight to lose. I think people don't want to admit that if someone who does not appear to be morbidly obese needs to lose 60-70 pounds, they might have a similar amount to lose as well. America's perception of size is all off. Now many folks say I am too thin. Which, I am not. I'm at a healthy weight!
  • BecMarty14
    BecMarty14 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    As you continue your journey to a healthier you, undoubtedly you will inspire your family. Maybe just one person at first. My intro to a healthier lifestyle was as a kid watching my older brother do push ups, sit ups and go running on a regular basis. The example he set caught my attention and eventually won out over the habits of the average American food choices. He would emphasized that getting older is not = to getting out of shape.
    Be encouraged that your good choices, though difficult, will have a positive impact on people around you - like the pebble creating ripples to the entire pond.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options

That is not true! It is obvious when someone is morbidly obese. You are huge in that state, 100 lbs overweight. Saying a man with some muscle can be over what the bmi says is not embracing obesity.
  • Venus_88
    Venus_88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

That is not true! It is obvious when someone is morbidly obese. You are huge in that state, 100 lbs overweight. Saying a man with some muscle can be over what the bmi says is not embracing obesity.

No offence but you sound like the grandma of OP. If someone feels good being 6'1/170 that's great.
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It's worth remembering that Sgt Pyle from Full Metal Jacket:

brsMHl1.png

was considered a v. fat character, the actor had to gain 70lbs for the role! Making this the largest weight gain by any actor for any role.

Now looking at him how many people these days wouldn't really think he's that overweight at all? When in reality he's 280lbs.

I think people like the OP's grandmother would think that Pyle isn't overweight at all, and so to them anyone at their healthy weight looks rather underweight, when that's not the reality at all!