How many carbs is too many? Not keto - just realistic

Options

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Has no one suggested using the mfp system to set calories and macros. if you are starting out, without health issues then opt for the automatic set up, you give your height, weight and goal and it does the rest.
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    How do carbs affect you? Through trial and error, I found that eating wheat products (mmm, delicious bread) makes me bloated. Eating, say, broccoli (which, as with fruits and vegetables, has carbs) does not. I'm on 1500 calories and try to stick around 100-130g of carbs per day, but I try to make sure most of that is from fruits and veggies rather than grains. Seems to be how my body likes to run, and makes me feel the best. My friend, however, can eat a loaf of bread, stay skinny as a teenager, and not feel like her guts are going to explode. Everyone is different.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Has no one suggested using the mfp system to set calories and macros. if you are starting out, without health issues then opt for the automatic set up, you give your height, weight and goal and it does the rest.

The very 1st reply from @middlehaitch suggested following MFP defaults.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Well I've known several people who were in calorie deficit and still were not losing weight and it wasn't until they lowered their carbs that they starting losing again so it's not 100% true that everyone will lose if in calorie deficit. I myself am insulin resistant and I can lose ok by lowering my calorie intake but if I watch my carbs then I lose more quicker. I like to stay around 100 carbs a day but some days don't eat even half that. So everyone needs to just find what works for them.

*kitten*.

People think they are some kind of special snowflake that have to have some sort of magical diet/pill/whatever to lose weight. There are so many who believe this nonsense that BBC even has a TV show about it (guess what - EVERY ONE of them is proven wrong at the end).

If you are not losing weight you are burning fewer calories than you are ingesting. It is so frickin' simple but it is so hard to do for some folks that they refuse to face reality. Sadly these are the same people the diet industry preys upon.

Secret Eaters? :D
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'll have to try and find the research but one of the guys on the nutrition team i work with publishes in academic journals on diabetes, insulin resistance etc - and one of their more recent findings is that higher BF drives the liklihood of IR and not carb intake - which is counter to what most people will tell you
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    emalemalie wrote: »
    I’m trying to drop weight and maintain, and I was living a VERY high carb lifestyle prior to making some changes about a month ago. What is a reasonable carb goal daily? I shoot for 1400 calories (because I’m not very active) and I have no idea how many carbs I should strive for daily. HELP

The defaults given to you are fine as a start point, you may develop preferences after a while. Concentrate on an overall nutritious diet that is also sustainable and enjoyable. Dieting shouldn't be like wearing a hair shirt! You really don't have to be ultra precise either, that's just making the process harder for no real benefit.

Personally I prioritised a bit of a higher protein goal, fat tended to naturally look after itself to meet nutritional needs and once my protein and fat minimums were met I regarded the rest of my allowance as free to come from whatever macro suited me on the day.
    I tend to eat high carbs naturally, on a big exercise day extraordinarily high carbs (650g was my highest and still in a calorie deficit.)

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    My upper limit on a cut is about 200g I like to be more in the 180 range because I like my fats a bit higher than the minimums. This is completely subjective though because my activity and yours wont be the same. I cut on 2K you have 1400? That might put me closer to 130g for carbs to meet the rest of my macros.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Well I've known several people who were in calorie deficit and still were not losing weight and it wasn't until they lowered their carbs that they starting losing again so it's not 100% true that everyone will lose if in calorie deficit. I myself am insulin resistant and I can lose ok by lowering my calorie intake but if I watch my carbs then I lose more quicker. I like to stay around 100 carbs a day but some days don't eat even half that. So everyone needs to just find what works for them.

If I drop to keto macros I could lose 5lbs of water and be in a surplus. This means nothing.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Focus on getting enough fat and protein and let carbs fall where they may.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to protein, fat and fibre and don't really worry about carbs. Today my carbs are at 85g, yesterday they were 215g.

I average around 30% carbs throughout the week.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    150g According to this article, see the diagram near the bottom. Interesting article in it's own right.
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/

That's a blog about eating Primal/Paleo.

As far as the diagram, I can say personally I have not experienced "insidious weight gain" eating over 150g of carbs daily. I lost my weight this way and now have been rather effortlessly maintaining for the last two years :drinker:

Yeah, whatever works for you, you know so that's fair. It's not my article, but it may (or may not) give the OP some useful information (that's up to her, not us). She asked about carb limits, i provided an article that states these and also gives rationale behind it's conclusions. I provided something, something she requested, and it is open to be refuted by anyone of course. But @bbell1985 snarky comments aren't helpful to anyone- no help to the OP and adds no value to the thread.

lmao. I didn't make a snarky comment. I internet laughed out loud.

You provided nothing useful.

That was a little snarky. Maybe.

You cannot be the judge of what is useful unless you are the OP. Your opinion isn't fact, I'm sorry. It was definitely a snarky comment, it came across very patronising and dismissive despite a lack of evidence to refute the article on your part. I get the article might be against your beliefs and you don't like it but again you cannot speak for the OP. If something isn't inline with your beliefs you don't be an *kitten* about it, or maybe YOU do lol, but I'm all for mixed opinions and exchanges of ideas. Ideologies are dangerous things.

Oh relax jack

Great comeback. It is hard to debate when you are in the wrong.

You realize you are in the wrong, no? Hopefully someday you will.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    How about this, there are lots of fitness coaches that are on YouTube. They use scientific strategies. Check them out, otherwise, your just listening to the opinions of other people. Best of luck!

Who should I listen to on Youtube? Links please.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    emalemalie wrote: »
    I’m trying to drop weight and maintain, and I was living a VERY high carb lifestyle prior to making some changes about a month ago. What is a reasonable carb goal daily? I shoot for 1400 calories (because I’m not very active) and I have no idea how many carbs I should strive for daily. HELP

Didn't you look at what MFP defaulted as a recommendation when you set your goals? The default is 50% carbs ... so that would be 700 calories worth from all carb sources out of your 1400 calorie a day limit.

You will find a lot of people who do low carb/high fat ... or low carb/high protein ... but there really isn't any need to do those extremes unless they fit your lifestyle and what you can stick with. In the end, it's sticking with something long term that will yield results.