Healthy Eating Really Does Work

Options
Seriously, I have so much energy compared to 3 months ago. I literally feel like I could punch through a concrete wall! I like finding excuses to go out walking, I can withstand triple the amount of time on the treadmill than I could 3 months ago, I can go for 30 minutes doing 3 minute rounds on my heavy bag, as opposed to 12 minutes 3 months ago, and I give credit to fruit, veg and all round healthier eating for my new found energy.

Anyway, my point being, even though that burger from KFC that was just advertised on the TV is tempting, I know after I have eaten it, I will feel bloated and lethargic, and why go for a McDonalds double cheese burger with fries, when I can get a turkey breast Subway baguette, with onions, tomatoes, lettuce, peppers and jalapenos for half the price, and much more nutritional benefits?!

Healthy eating works for me, so glad I don't waste time or money on fad diets anymore!

Replies

• seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I agree. For weight loss alone of course you can just eat within your calorie goals but if you want to feel better, have more energy and be healthier, you need to make the food you do eat 'pack a punch' - nutrient-wise. Some people confuse fitness with health. It's always nice to be fit AND healthy!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely.

Don't get me wrong, I eat the odd meal which isn't the healthiest food in the world, but generally I keep it healthy all round now, and it makes a huge difference. Beats having liquid diets, or low carb diets, or any of the other fad diets for that matter!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I have so much energy compared to 3 months ago. I literally feel like I could punch through a concrete wall! I like finding excuses to go out walking, I can withstand triple the amount of time on the treadmill than I could 3 months ago, I can go for 30 minutes doing 3 minute rounds on my heavy bag, as opposed to 12 minutes 3 months ago, and I give credit to fruit, veg and all round healthier eating for my new found energy.

Anyway, my point being, even though that burger from KFC that was just advertised on the TV is tempting, I know after I have eaten it, I will feel bloated and lethargic, and why go for a McDonalds double cheese burger with fries, when I can get a turkey breast Subway baguette, with onions, tomatoes, lettuce, peppers and jalapenos for half the price, and much more nutritional benefits?!

Healthy eating works for me, so glad I don't waste time or money on fad diets anymore!

Define 'healthy'.

I eat Wendy's and Popeye's but never feel bloated or lethargic (chicken strips and mashed potatoes is my favorite pre-lifting meal, actually.) Unless I eat too much. But too much of anything make me feel that way.

Subway is gross. Also that sandwich sounds like it's low on fat/protein vs carbs. Pass.

I would contend regular exercise and a calorie deficit is why you feel better, vs eating subway instead of kfc. Not to say you shouldn't eat whatever make you happy, but let's not put down so called unhealthy food to do it.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I agree. For weight loss alone of course you can just eat within your calorie goals but if you want to feel better, have more energy and be healthier, you need to make the food you do eat 'pack a punch' - nutrient-wise. Some people confuse fitness with health. It's always nice to be fit AND healthy!

I agree. I just can't kick my junk food addiction. So for right now IIFYM!
  • jeredlbb
    Options

Define 'healthy'.

I eat Wendy's and Popeye's but never feel bloated or lethargic (chicken strips and mashed potatoes is my favorite pre-lifting meal, actually.) Unless I eat too much. But too much of anything make me feel that way.

Subway is gross. Also that sandwich sounds like it's low on fat/protein vs carbs. Pass.

I would contend regular exercise and a calorie deficit is why you feel better, vs eating subway instead of kfc. Not to say you shouldn't eat whatever make you happy, but let's not put down so called unhealthy food to do it.

Until you eat clean for AT LEAST two weeks, a month is better, you won't know what _EndGame_ is talking about. Anyone can do almost anything for 30 days including eating clean. It will change your life!

My quick definition of eating clean: No dairy, mostly fresh organic green vegetables when you can, limit fish, chicken and beef when you can. Limit processed foods to almost zero. This is a tall order for someone just starting. So, take it a step at a time with the understanding you will mess up here and there. Ultimately, with perseverance and an open mind you will gradually become a much healthier person and know exactly what _EndGame_ is talking about.

Jered
  • Achrya
    Options

Define 'healthy'.

Until you eat clean for AT LEAST two weeks, a month is better, you won't know what _EndGame_ is talking about. Anyone can do almost anything for 30 days including eating clean. It will change your life!

My quick definition of eating clean: No dairy, mostly fresh organic green vegetables when you can, limit fish, chicken and beef when you can. Limit processed foods to almost zero. This is a tall order for someone just starting. So, take it a step at a time with the understanding you will mess up here and there. Ultimately, with perseverance and an open mind you will gradually become a much healthier person and know exactly what _EndGame_ is talking about.

Jered

Lolno. I'd rather stay fat then give up bacon.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    :angry: I like Subway.

It's not gross. You can get all kinds of veggies on the sandwich. Freshly made bread, and they throw out everything at the end of the day and make fresh the next day - including any opened meats, or prepared vegetables.
  • Achrya
    Options

It's not gross. You can get all kinds of veggies on the sandwich. Freshly made bread, and they throw out everything at the end of the day and make fresh the next day - including any opened meats, or prepared vegetables.

I worked at subway in high school so I can't eat there. I used to go home and my hands would smell of onions for days.

...That said I won't comment on what does or doesn't actually get thrown out.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options

I worked at subway in high school so I can't eat there. I used to go home and my hands would smell of onions for days.

I don't think any fast food restaurant is going to have the highest standards of clean/fresh - Including your fried chicken place. I've worked at Subway, too, and it was really good about throw-outs. Guess it depends on the franchisee. Some of the high end restaurants you wouldn't want to know what goes on, either. I've worked in some nice places and all of the restaurant jobs taught me not to think too much about what is being done to my food when I eat at a restaurant. :laugh:

edit to remove name
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Define 'healthy'.

Jered

But endgame himself had a large pizza before going to bed the other day, so by your theory he doesn't know what he is talking about either?
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Personally I love IIFYM, I can satisfy my cravings, eat nutritious foods, and live a happy and healthy life. moderation who knew?! :laugh:
  • Jennjo322
    Jennjo322 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good for oh!!!
  • jeredlbb
    Options
  • jeredlbb
    Options
  • Achrya
    Options

I don't think any fast food restaurant is going to have the highest standards of clean/fresh - Including Popeyes. I've worked at Subway, too, and it was really good about throw-outs. Guess it depends on the franchisee. Some of the high end restaurants you wouldn't want to know what goes on, either. I've worked in some nice places and all of the restaurant jobs taught me not to think too much about what is being done to my food when I eat at a restaurant. :laugh:

I hscene illusions as to the freshness of Potter's, or the cleanliness. The one I go to is staffed by surly teenagers who make faces if I dare ask for my order to be done correctly and I shudder to think of the misdeeds done there. But I don't actually "know" for sure so it's cool. Subway however...I "know" so I just can't do it.
  • jeredlbb
    Options

But endgame himself had a large pizza before going to bed the other day, so by your theory he doesn't know what he is talking about either?

:-) That thought crossed my mind...You are probably right.
  • captainjclark
    Options
    I get what you're saying. I've avoided any type of fast food in general and prepare everything myself. Once I start buying for convenience I don't choose healthy. Luckily I'm crazy about having everything done ahead of time so it works out for me! Long story, I feel better after eating a lot of produce. Keep up the good vibes!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"My quick definition of eating clean: No dairy, mostly fresh organic green vegetables when you can, limit fish, chicken and beef when you can. Limit processed foods to almost zero.

Jered"
    [/quote]

A doctor would have to me its that or death before I went on a diet that restrictive. But if it works for others and they are happy that is awesome. I just know I would be miserable and it would not be worth it to me.
  • ravengal44646
    ravengal44646 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Once a month, I eat a Church's chicken two-piece after work. This is a treat for me, and fits nicely into my overall diet of nutrient-dense foods. It's also a source of nice low-carb protein.

The food evangelists? They come and they go.
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    I've eaten every which way there is. And with each way of eating I have kept my weight off for 4 years.

But I love IIFYM it is non restrictive and you don't need to have an anxiety attack when someone brings you a slice of pizza!! from my experience EVERYONE I have ever met on a restrictive diet has relapsed and then felt like S%it for letting it happen

IIFYM allows you to eat what you want and not feel guilty. I know more and more bodybuilders who eat this way and they have great physiques and stay very lean and fit though-out the year.