Endometrial Ablation and Weight Gain (Girl Stuff)

Options
Hi. For many years, I had no weight issues, maintaining a weight at the bottom of my range. In February, I had an ablation and put on 20 pounds very fast. I'm really struggling to loose, even though, mathematically, I should be dropping. I've managed (barely) to drop 4 pounds just recently, but I'm frustrated. None of my clothes fit. I keep wondering if it could possibly be hormonal? I searched Google (endometrial ablation + weight gain) and can only find forum posts but no medical news articles about it. Does anybody know if this could be the cause? Has anybody had this happen to them? Will it get easier after a period of adjustment? I'm figuring I did have a temporary decrease in activity which could have been part of the problem, but I want to blame hormones for the rest. I only know one person who has had one, and she can't remember if she gained after because she had hers right after her last child was born. It wasn't listed as a side effect on any of my paperwork, but this just doesn't make sense!!! Maybe it's wishful thinking... Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited: In case it matters, I got the heated saline ablation.

Replies

• v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The uterus does not, itself, produce any hormones. Unless your ovaries were removed at the same time, I don't think you can blame surgery in the long-term.

However, in the short-term, reduced activity will certainly have an impact. And, as we all hit our mid twenties, our metabolism begins to decrease and our muscle mass decreases. So your system has had a bit of a one-two punch.

I would encourage you to lift weights to maintain or increase your muscle mass, work up to 3x per week. Do some cardio on the other days.
  • swampgeek
    swampgeek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My wife had the procedure done and didnt see much immediate change that she could attribute directly to the ablation beyond the side affects. Actually i think she lost weight while stressing the outcome.
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Urgh! Thanks for the info. Guess I'm doing something wrong.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, just step up your workouts and make sure you are eating according to your bodies needs. You could always ask your doctor if you think the weight gain is related to the procedure. Your doctor can also give good advice on how many calories you should eat, types of foods that would be best, and and might have exercise ideas too. It never hurts to ask!
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You could always ask your doctor if you think the weight gain is related to the procedure. Your doctor can also give good advice on how many calories you should eat, types of foods that would be best, and and might have exercise ideas too. It never hurts to ask!

I'd be cautious about taking your doctor's advice. Very few of them have a strong nutritional background ... and even fewer will admit they don't have the training to properly advise you on certain health concerns.

You would be better off with a dietitian, one who is trained in the most current nutrition knowledge.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I just had uterine ablation done 2 months ago and I'm still losing weight. I'd evaluate your calorie intake and if it's ok, check with your doctor. I don't think weight gain would be associated with the procedure.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Endometrial ablation is simply the MECHANICAL destruction of the cells lining your uterus. Depending on the type you had, they used either super-warmed water, or radio frequency (essentially "microwaves") to "cook" your lining. Because the cells that create the endometrial lining are destroyed, they no longer grow and, hence, no period.

It has absolutely, POSITIVELY, no-way-no-how, ANYTHING to do with your weight gain. It's akin to saying "I chopped off my big toe last month and I've gained 20 pounds". Just doesn't happen because it's completely unrelated.

Ablation is a GREAT treatment for women who suffer from heavy, peri-menopausal periods (and who want no more kids) and it does NOT cause weight gain.

Hope you can figure out what's going on with your diet and get back on track! :smile:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I had to look this up. I'm not familiar with this procedure. I have endometriosis due to ruptured scar tissue from my last C-section. I wonder if this procedure might help treat my condition because I am not interested in a full hysterectomy.

As far as hormones go, estrogen production ramps up twice a month, at ovulation and menstruation. Estrogen's impact on weight is related only to water weight. However, cortisol is a stress hormone that is released when the body is put under stress and it does have an impact on metabolism. Cortisol can be triggered by both physical and mental stress. So, it is possible that this procedure may have caused some physical stress for your body and any worries or concerns related to the health condition that created the need for this procedure may have caused you some mental stress.

TL;DR - You might be able to blame cortisol, but not estrogen.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had a endometrial ablation in October 2011 and it didnt cause me to gain or prevent me from losing. I would suggest getting some blood tests to ensure things are okay. If they are then it would most likely be down to checking your tracking....ensuring your tracking every bit that goes on your mouth, using a kitchen scale etc.
  • tarotlou
    tarotlou Posts: 47
    Options
    I had one last year and I will be honest I blamed some of my weight gain on the procedure not the fact the Olympics were on and I was eating a tub of strawberry carte d'or every night. It's strange I came across this post because I'm sure you still have hormones but more progesterone as this is not a hysterectomy ( if having it done because of heavy monthlies and menopause) the thing I thought yesterday should I be on HRT to combat the loss of oestrogen? Anyways all of a sudden I've turned this around to me, but I think you do gain a little from swelling but should lose in a couple of weeks, but then I'm no expert, have a word with your GP or gynaecologist because if you google weight gain/loss you will get so many different answers. Hope it all went fine and you had no trouble :flowerforyou:
  • notsureyet
    notsureyet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    not convinced yet I've had an ablation done over 4 years ago I did it because I did not want to have any more children and I had severe bleeding I have gained a total of 65 pounds I barely eat I am active mother of one I do think a blasian does cause weight gain going to GYN on Friday to see about hormones or estrogen levels being off balance due to an ablation I have had liposuction and cosmetic procedures such as tummy tuck after pregnancy I am actually over my pregnancy weight I had a total of 25 pounds removed from my by during like this section I find it hard to believe that ablation does not cause you to gain weight I do not advise it that is my opinion but also I am 33 years old so I am NOT Menopausal
  • saraheg65
    saraheg65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was searching this topic tonight and came across this. I had an ablation almost a year ago and have never had another period which is great however I have gained nearly 10 lbs and cannot figure out how or why since then. I do triathlons and workout regularly and eat the same. I can't help but think this could be the reason why. I have been going everything I do and wondering the same does the ablation cause weight gain??? So glad to hear others feeling the same way.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was googling this topic & found this thread because I had the procedure done in 12/12, and without much diet/exercise change, since 6/13 I've put on 17 pounds
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Probably not he place to post this so i will apologise if I offend anyone. I have been having problems with ongoing bleeding spotting etc and have been given ablation as a choice of treatment. Does it work in stopping bleeding. X
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Erased reply: old thread and user deactivated.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I erase reply-old thread and user deactivated.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Probably not he place to post this so i will apologise if I offend anyone. I have been having problems with ongoing bleeding spotting etc and have been given ablation as a choice of treatment. Does it work in stopping bleeding. X

In my case, yes, it slowed down the bleeding A LOT! I was bleeding 10-14 days/month, extremely heavily. Now it's really light, 4-5 days and I'm done. It helped me tons!

ETA: it has not hindered my weight loss what so ever. If I stall out it's because I've gotten lazy or not doing something correctly.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    OP deactivated. I wish she'd have stayed! She might have lost what she gained with MFP!
  • Twh_rider64
    Twh_rider64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the ablation procedure probably, 4 years ago. I have now serious problems related to the ablation. If you have had a prior tubal ligation think twice before having that procedure done. I have pain and a condition called hydrosalpinix and i think post ablation syndrome- . Meaning the cervix is scared and has stenosis. I have what they call retrograde menstration. Not to be too graphic, but my cervix won't let any of the menstural flow out. So- it is backed up in my tubes and uterus. So, my tubes are probably 7 times the normal size. I have pain and cramping that is like labor pains. So, when they say this will solve your problems with bleeding, it is possible you might end up with a condition like this. New studies are being done, saying women who have this done will end up with a hysterectomy anyway and it is hard to tell how many womenn have been effected with this procedure.
    Also, i will say this 2 of my best friends have had the procedure and had no problems what so ever. But, feeling like I feel 3 weeks out of 4, I would say NO do not have this procedure. I would also like to add, When i had the procedure i weighed about 135 pounds. I now weight topped out at 184 last month. PS. I work in the medical field also I releaze I could have 2-4 liters of fluid in my abdomen. Which could be the cause of some of my weight gain.

If, you have any other questions, send me a friend request. I don't want to scare anyone, but just saying beware what can happen, as I was not.