Endometrial Ablation and Weight Gain (Girl Stuff)

Replies

• cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    I had this procedure almost 6 years ago and it has in no way impacted my weight loss or gain...I had lost a significant amount of weight before the procedure and maintained for a long time. i regained the weight during a very stressful time in life and then lost that weight crash dieting and then regained. Since have lost and maintained only by doing things the way they have to do be done - strictly counting calories (weighing my food and being very honest with myself-not trying to convince myself that a bit here and there doesn't count) and exercise...

Edited to add - I haven't had a period since, only minor spotting every so often and then not every month. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself :)
  • I had scheduled an ablation for April 15th and I am very scared and uncertain. I have read horror stories about it and I have also read good things about it. I have an option for a hysterectomy and I am thinking I should just do that since it seems that most women have to end up having one of those afterwards anyway. I don't know what to do...
  • I have scheduled my ablation for April and I have read horror stories about it. I am so worried about will happen afterwards. Some women swear by it and others say they should have just gotten the hysterectomy. I don't want things getting worse
  • mooremah
    mooremah Posts: 1
    I had an ablation last year and I have gained 25 pounds and all the things that I used to do no longer work it is very hard for me to loose weight now. I was googling this and this came up. I definitely think this has something to do with it.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    I had this done but I did not gain weight. is it possible the reason for the ablation was also the reason for your weight gain.
  • I had my ablation in March 2014. It has not stopped my bleeding but has now made it livable. I have experenced weight gain of 5 pounds. I have lost weight in my butt and legs, but my stomach is getting bigger and bigger. I was going to wait another month to se if my exercises bring any difference before I go back to thd doctor.
  • missyfoo82
    missyfoo82 Posts: 2 Member
    I had the ablation done in April 2014 - and have had no bleeding or discharge even right after the procedure and in less than 1 month I gained 15 pounds!

Normally I can watch what I eat or fast for a day or two a week (from dinner to dinner) and drop the weight easily if I gain any - however, now I can't seem to lose it no matter what I try.

Some posts say the procedure isn't related to weight gain, but I believe that if there are this many people suffering from the same issue that it most certainly isn't a coincidence.

I read some side effects of the procedure are damage to organs around the uterus - well whose to say the heat didn't effect the ovaries and cause hormonal imbalances which cause weight gain? All I know is I KNOW my body and I have been through metabolism shifts where I have to diet or work out harder to see the same results, but the past couple months have been completely different from that...and all this is accompanied by bloating, hot flashes and night sweats, all indicators of hormonal imbalance - but like I said, mine began shortly after the procedure, so I feel they very well might be linked.

I am having some blood tests and a ultra sound and xray done in the coming weeks while my doctor tries to figure out what is going on with me...I'll try to post back if I learn anything new.

Had I known this would happen, I would certainly have continued to deal with my heavy periods until menopause kicked in. It is the most frustrating thing to do EVERYTHING (diet, exercise, getting enough water, sleep, etc.) right and still not seeing results.
  • missyfoo82
    missyfoo82 Posts: 2 Member
    And the majority of my weight is also in my gut area, like many have stated is the same for them.
  • I did not gain any weight after having a ablation apart from some initial fluid gain after the surgery and it was gone within a few days.
  • I have to agree there is something to what you're saying. I had mine done in January and I have gained almost 30 lbs since then and most of it right in my belly area. My friend also had an ablasion and had the same problem. She had hers done a year ago and is just now starting to lose the weight around her belly. I've been eating right and exercising more than I did before the ablasion and I can't lose weight either. I don't believe it's a coincidence either...
  • Due to polyps in my uterus it was recommended to have an endometrial ablation (microwave/hot water). It's been about 1 year and 6 months since the procedure. I went from 130lbs to 145lbs. Nothing has changed in terms of my diet or exercise and I'm unable to move the scale at all. This just HAS to be related to the ablation. How, I don't know. It's worth mentioning that I'm no spring chicken and I realize that we gain weight (usually) as we age. I am almost 51 years old. Some of these posts have been very helpful because now I'm wondering if the removal of the lining which contains estrogen has in fact altered my hormone levels and maybe that's causing the weight gain. Or (& hopefully not) my ovaries could have been damaged by the heat and in turn reduced or changed hormone levels. I hardly recognize my lower body. My thighs and stomach have gotten much larger. It's horrifying to not be able to control this at all. I'm eating well and walk on the treadmill and at work at least 5 miles a day. I cannot get the scale to budge more than a pound or so. I don't know what if anything I can do.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    It might depend on why you had the procedure. Fibroids can greatly enlarge the uterus. Might not make you gain 20 lbs but it would definitely make your waist larger.
  • My experience post-ablation are the same as what you are describing. My 'annual' appointment is this month. I will ask for blood work and approach it from the angle that my hormones must be out of balance. I will not be defensive! Let me repeat that a few times :-)
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    edited July 2016

This is your first post and you search for a 2 year old thread??
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

In this link, the posters have all the same problem of gaining weight and the answer is simple. CICO
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    It does nothing to affect your hormones. If that's all you had done (ovaries still present), then it's not the cause. (Sorry!)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm 24 (almost 25) and to give a bit of history, I was on birth control until 20 then had a tubal at 20 or 21 and an ablation at 22. I started losing weight around the age of 23 but that's because I started eating less and exercising more while adding more protein for improved strength training. My weight loss (nor past gain) had nothing to do with procedures nor did birth control.
  • DelaneyNewman
    DelaneyNewman Posts: 1 Member
    I had an ablation done and have gained 20 lbs as well. I'm also having issues losing the weight which seemed easier before. There isn't a link between ablation and weight gain. But know you're not alone =/