Women - Monthly Cycle Cravings/Challenges

Options

Replies

• KotoMalli
    KotoMalli Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Never really have had cramps too often, and when I have, they are very mild. Don't get grumpy or mean - probably because I'm not in pain or uncomfortable. I do get a bit of an increased appetite, but it's just temporary and never derails me. One sign that my period is coming soon is that a couple of days in advance I get heart palpitations. I do not like the palpitations at all, and they give me a bit of anxiety, but at least those, too, are temporary.

So overall, I have it really easy. My period is just a minor inconvenience in my life. I almost forget it's happening half the time. And I don't really even mind it, because I see it more as a reminder that I'm a young, healthy female. That's a good thing to be as far as I'm concerned! <3

Doesn't derail you even with increased cravings!? You go girl! Haha, now I am inspired to resist the temptations! (Especially right now as I am experiencing womanly cyle, lol).
  • KotoMalli
    Options
    dwrightlaw wrote: »
    What's with all the *kitten* positivity on this thread??? ;)

Ladies, ladies, ladies...we have to use this to our advantage, if we admit it's not a big deal we are relinquishing all opportunities for horking down massive quantities of food, & growling while shooting flaming daggers from our eyeballs at any and all innocent citizens & getting away with it because "it's that time of the month"....jeez

Haha.
    Cops: Ladies, stop there! Why would you just poke innocent people's eyes!?
    Women: *turn around to face him with flaming, angry period eyes*
    Cops: Nvm... *backs away slowly and drives away 100mph*
  • KotoMalli
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I was dealing with this this morning. I had two coffees with cream and sugar, crammed two protein bars in my face, and got on with my day. Had some caffeine before training, chewed some gum when my sweet tooth was acting up. Didn't stop at the grocery store, knowing I had plenty of food at home and I'd just buy ice cream there.

Your breakfast sounded delicious! :D And that's awesome you still keep doing your training on monthly cycle days! (and Yum on the ice cream!)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    KotoMalli wrote: »
    Hey ladies,

Many of us experience our monthly cycles differently, SO! how do YOU feel when you get yours? (=

Do you get cravings? Sleep excessively? Experience cramps? Grumpiness? I know I for one YES to ALL! How do you overcome your womanly cycle!? (Especially those cutting calories! and trying to exercise! If you're not, that's okay too!)

Most of my life my periods have been regular and pretty mild. Temporary weight gain of a couple of pounds. Tiredness and cravings maybe 1 day. Wanting to eat salty foods. Sometimes freezing cold or super hot. Worst part was always migraines just before my period would start.
    I'm 43 years old and it has been 41 days since my last period. Last month it was 33 days. Prior to that it was 22-26 days for a year. I feel frustrated that my body is doing unpredictable things. I don't feel bad physically I guess just a little out of sorts mentally. Been reading about menopause and no one says anything good about it so I feel apprehensive.
  • KotoMalli
    Options
    I just give in to the dark side & surrender to my unabashed hatred for all living creatures :p

Yeah pretty much this :D With LOTS of chocolate

CHOCOLATE......!? CHOCOLATE!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I was dealing with this this morning. I had two coffees with cream and sugar, crammed two protein bars in my face, and got on with my day. Had some caffeine before training, chewed some gum when my sweet tooth was acting up. Didn't stop at the grocery store, knowing I had plenty of food at home and I'd just buy ice cream there.

Your breakfast sounded delicious! :D And that's awesome you still keep doing your training on monthly cycle days! (and Yum on the ice cream!)
    Why wouldn't I work out?
  • KotoMalli
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Depends on the month for me. Some months I am starving for 2 weeks prior, some months I get very depressed and lock myself in my room watching TV. I always end up bloating horribly at some point (looking 5 months pregnant), and I usually have horrible cramps that require Advil and Tylenol to get rid of.

Also have bad clots and typically end up leaking a couple times even with overnight pads. So much fun (not).

It was even worse on BC, bleeding for 2 weeks non stop and cramping pretty much the whole time. The only positive was that I didn't have ovulation cramping/hunger (obviously), but considering that my period always came 3 days early anyway and stayed an extra week... not worth it...

I have ovarian cysts so I'm not sure what a difference it makes, but either way, not fun!

Awww that sucks!! :s I can relate to locking yourself in your room and watching TV. Except I watch Asian Dramas lol. Hope it gets less painful for you!!
  • KotoMalli
    Options

Why wouldn't I work out?

Some people get very bad pain or even if they don't aren't up for working out. I know I get the temptations to skip a workout because I feel gross. But you didn't double guess your workout, so I thought that was awesome. :p
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    If we asked your signigicant others, would their answers align with what I am reading >:)

Of course.. after all, I know where he sleeps at night, so... :naughty:
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a crunchy/salty kind of person but at that time of the month I want everything and anything sweet. TOM just so happened to fall on Vday this year XD putting my daughter's goodie bags together was a *kitten* show. Good thing I bought extra.

My appetite is crazy the week before. For some reason I think if I shove food into my mouth as fast as I can it's like it never happened. But then I walk over to my computer all ashamed and log it hahaha
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Hey ladies,

Many of us experience our monthly cycles differently, SO! how do YOU feel when you get yours? (=

Do you get cravings? Sleep excessively? Experience cramps? Grumpiness? I know I for one YES to ALL! How do you overcome your womanly cycle!? (Especially those cutting calories! and trying to exercise! If you're not, that's okay too!)

Most of my life my periods have been regular and pretty mild. Temporary weight gain of a couple of pounds. Tiredness and cravings maybe 1 day. Wanting to eat salty foods. Sometimes freezing cold or super hot. Worst part was always migraines just before my period would start.
    I'm 43 years old and it has been 41 days since my last period. Last month it was 33 days. Prior to that it was 22-26 days for a year. I feel frustrated that my body is doing unpredictable things. I don't feel bad physically I guess just a little out of sorts mentally. Been reading about menopause and no one says anything good about it so I feel apprehensive.

Well, I'm hoping menopause will be easy like my menstrual cycles have been. My mom said menopause wasn't that bad, except for occasional hot flashes - but even that wasn't too traumatic. She didn't seem all that cranky, so I'm hoping that's a good sign for me, too! B)
  • elizarizo
    elizarizo Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am a emotional monster on it

I give in and eat whatever
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I get mood swings that I am afraid might irreparably damage some relationships. I get very sad, anxious, weepy, needy, really quite volatile before. I get a headache that won't go away the first day. Horrible cramps usually, but not always. Have times where I'm afraid I'm gonna bleed out. On the bright side it's very regular, except for about 1 year a while ago where it was every other month (I liked it so I didn't tell my doctor).
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If we asked your signigicant others, would their answers align with what I am reading >:)

Yup :pointsdown: This dude is a total woman with permanent PMS...
    JustSomeJD wrote: »
    I just give in to the dark side & surrender to my unabashed hatred for all living creatures :p

Crap, I’m a woman who is on permanent PMS. :eek:

I kid, I kid...

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey ladies,

Cravings (for ALL the foodz), Cramps (sometimes pretty darn severe due to endometriosis), TOTAL grump for a day or two... I usually give in, eat all the things and up the exercise. :) And beat on @JustSomeJD
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    wait till you go through menopause!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Craving Cycles?
    cbn4c61te6rj.png

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    whosshe wrote: »
    I'm usually a crunchy/salty kind of person but at that time of the month I want everything and anything sweet. TOM just so happened to fall on Vday this year XD putting my daughter's goodie bags together was a *kitten* show. Good thing I bought extra.

My appetite is crazy the week before. For some reason I think if I shove food into my mouth as fast as I can it's like it never happened. But then I walk over to my computer all ashamed and log it hahaha

I'm the other way around. I have a huge sweet tooth, but I crave bread/salty things at that time of the month (pizza, hot subs etc), although I'd do with a big cinnamon roll... but not cookies or chocolate. Unfortunately, I'll devour anything if I start. So I TRY not to.

I remember a very bad day when I had a huge lunch but was still hungry, ended up buying a piece of cheesecake thinking it was going to help but I was still starving after and the only thing that made me feel better was a huge elephant ear.

And I know I'm not hungry when that happens, I just feel horrible until I eat. So yeah, I guess it's appetite versus hunger. Fortunately the last few months have been better, but I've been eating more overall too (too much. Ugh). It just seems that my hormones go crazy when I try to keep a deficit, lol.

To be fair, I'm always hungry and what people find 'very filling' is typically not filling for me, except for those 10 days after day 4 of my period or something.

I was seriously disappointed when birth control didn't help.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I’m on something that seeks to stop my cycle from ever happening again (so those supporting me through my disability don’t have to clean it up), but I can be a real mess if I miss a dose of said therapy by even a week (or if my body knows I’m two weeks away from dose time). I end up craving chocolate (but don’t give in unless I can find something chocolaty but sugar free) or salt (which I resist no matter what because I respect my heart). Emotionally, I’ll end up sad and angry for no apparent reason, and everyone/everything has the potential to be a trigger. If I happen to have missed my dose altogether (which I try not to do because birth control is key for me), the cramps (lower abdominal and back) range in intensity from “no problem, just kinda awkward” to “you might want to have 911 on speed dial, please.” depending on my flow.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Depends on the month for me. Some months I am starving for 2 weeks prior, some months I get very depressed and lock myself in my room watching TV. I always end up bloating horribly at some point (looking 5 months pregnant), and I usually have horrible cramps that require Advil and Tylenol to get rid of.

Also have bad clots and typically end up leaking a couple times even with overnight pads. So much fun (not).

It was even worse on BC, bleeding for 2 weeks non stop and cramping pretty much the whole time. The only positive was that I didn't have ovulation cramping/hunger (obviously), but considering that my period always came 3 days early anyway and stayed an extra week... not worth it...

I have ovarian cysts so I'm not sure what a difference it makes, but either way, not fun!

Awww that sucks!! :s I can relate to locking yourself in your room and watching TV. Except I watch Asian Dramas lol. Hope it gets less painful for you!!

Yes, I get very bad pain. Last year...at 31 years old, I was lying on my hardwood floor at 4 am literally crying out my mothers name. I'm so over my period.