Cutting body percent fat on Plant-based diet?

Trying to see if anyone has any experience cutting body fat on a plant based diet. I haven't found information that could apply specifically how to break up my meals/calories.

Replies

• ltomanek
    ltomanek Posts: 53 Member
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I'm not really sure of your question here. I'd create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Get a food scale. Learn how to weigh and log accurately.
    Meal timing is irrelevant and has been debunked long ago.
    It comes down to preference. I like majority of my calories before bed. Some like them broken up throughout the day. It comes down to your individual preference.
    Plant based or vegan is just a way of eating and has nothing to do with fat loss at all.

Thanks about the food scale. Putting that on the shopping list.

I used the Harris-Benedict Calculation based on my current age, height, weight. It indicated my BMR to be 1,433kcals.

Then I did an activity factor as a multiplier. I used 1.375, since I work a desk job and don't workout regularly. This is 1-3x a week working out.
    So, 1433 x 1.375 = 1,971 kcal/day.

Finally the cutting: With 1 pound fat = 3500 kcals, then to lose that per week is only a 500 kcal deficiency. 1971 - 500 = 1,471 kcal/day

So if my math is correct, then I need to stay around 1471 kcals per day.

I currently have MFP set at 1300, but lately I have been logging between 1400-1600. Those days are usually low fat days, lots of large green smoothie bowls and filling salads or roasted veggies.

I could keep going to the macro level calculations, but I'm hoping I can just focus on nutrient dense foods and 1471 and I'll see some changes.
    It came out to...
    Protein: 168g, or 689 kcal, or 46%
    Fat: 56g, or 521 kcal, or 35%
    Carbs: 63g, or 261 kcal, or 18%

I am wondering if my current lower protein, high carb plant-based diet might also be contributing to my steady state. Y'all, I just love potatos.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    168g protein and 63g carbs isn't low protein or high carb. Did you get those swapped on accident? I'd say 100g protein is likely enough and would give you more balanced macros.
  • ltomanek
    usmcmp wrote: »
    168g protein and 63g carbs isn't low protein or high carb. Did you get those swapped on accident? I'd say 100g protein is likely enough and would give you more balanced macros.

Oh those macro amounts are what the calculation said I should do based on that calorie intake.
    My percentages are more like...
    Protein: 10%
    Fat: 30%
    Carbs: 60%

So while my % fat is pretty close, my protein and carbs are currently reversed to what the calculation says I need. That's why I said I am currently low protein/high carb.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    I am also having a lot of trouble getting in my protein on a plant-based. I am adding in yogurt for one week as my calcium is also low at the moment.
  • ltomanek
    eminater wrote: »
    I am also having a lot of trouble getting in my protein on a plant-based. I am adding in yogurt for one week as my calcium is also low at the moment.

I'm not so much worried about getting protein on a day to day basis. My macros fluctuate and I can usually tell when I'm not getting the right nutrients.
    But to stay mostly the same weight, gain muscle and lose fat, I'll definitely have to be more mindful.

I've tried whey based protein powder in the past when I was a swimmer. However, as plant-based, and not eating chocolate, I'm left to start at square one scouring online
    Really, just looking for a plant based option that won't gross me out that I can slowly add to supplement increased training.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2018
    ltomanek wrote: »

I'm not so much worried about getting protein on a day to day basis. My macros fluctuate and I can usually tell when I'm not getting the right nutrients.
    But to stay mostly the same weight, gain muscle and lose fat, I'll definitely have to be more mindful.

I've tried whey based protein powder in the past when I was a swimmer. However, as plant-based, and not eating chocolate, I'm left to start at square one scouring online
    Really, just looking for a plant based option that won't gross me out that I can slowly add to supplement increased training.

If there is anything to worry about while cutting it is protein, even more so as you get leaner.

But can you provide some input into what your stats are? Also, what workout will you be following?
  • ltomanek
    psuLemon wrote: »

If there is anything to worry about while cutting it is protein, even more so as you get leaner.

But can you provide some input into what your stats are? Also, what workout will you be following?

I follow a high carb diet. And I haven't tracked macros yet. I'm 5'5", 140 lbs, currently training for a half marathon next weekend...so I haven't been able to also get to the gym.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »

I follow a high carb diet. And I haven't tracked macros yet. I'm 5'5", 140 lbs, currently training for a half marathon next weekend...so I haven't been able to also get to the gym.

That would be even more reason to get protein. Not only does it help with recovery, it can help maintain or minimize muscle loss.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I’m WFPB too. But not sure what specific data you’re looking for.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    I'm on an 80% plant based diet. My macros are 40% carbs, 35% fat, 25% protein. I do a post workout protein smoothie. I've been cutting and lifting weights. I have visually lost a little bit of muscle, but BF% is definitely going down and abs are starting pop out. so its worth it to me. I would definitely try to up your protein, 10% is pretty low. But I don't you think go to crazy with it. I don't know if you can do whey or eat eggs I would if you could. If you're strictly vegan, it'll be tougher. So you'll need a lot chick peas and lentils.
  • ltomanek
    I'm on an 80% plant based diet. My macros are 40% carbs, 35% fat, 25% protein. I do a post workout protein smoothie. I've been cutting and lifting weights. I have visually lost a little bit of muscle, but BF% is definitely going down and abs are starting pop out. so its worth it to me. I would definitely try to up your protein, 10% is pretty low. But I don't you think go to crazy with it. I don't know if you can do whey or eat eggs I would if you could. If you're strictly vegan, it'll be tougher. So you'll need a lot chick peas and lentils.

Or seitan, tofu, tempeh, soy milk/yogurt, and protein powder (hemp/soy/rice/pea, etc).

I love me some tofu or tempeh. Haven't tried seitan yet. On the to-do list. I'll definitely have to add in protein once I start getting back into resistance training. Today is day one since I have my half marathon yesterday. So just going light total body and a lot of stretching.
  • ltomanek
    So, I've been getting to the gym 5-6x per week. On Saturday/Sunday, when the gym is more empty and I have more time, I usually spend about two hours, from the time I hit the first machine to walking back into the locker room to grab my backpack. One of those days is always an amazing Leg Day workout. I do legs 2x a week.

I usually start with either Row and/or Stairmill, 20-30 mins at the beginning of every workout. As a former competitive swimmer 🏊‍♀️ I am a total endurance person, speed is so hard for me, so it takes me a while to feel warmed up. After that cardio, when my body is totally warmed up, I hit the free weights, machines, and some body weight movements depending on the day, how I feel and what I am focused on.
    I just recently started being able to add weight to my sets...and it feels fantastic. 🔥

Diet wise, I am still 90% Plant-based🌱, coming up in a few weeks on a year! I usually eat the majority of my calories in the late afternoon. Still have MFP set at 1300, but most days I eat around 1600-1700. I really try not to eat too many processed foods that are loaded with sugar, fat and oil. I try to get those things from fruit, avocado, nuts, etc. Bearing in mind that some days/meals I just need to eat.

Changes thus far? Some; I am still in the same weight zone 138-140.👌 I have seen more tone in my legs and overall body shape a little. I'm around a size 4 (small) in women's, but some styles are fitting me oddly because of my fitter shape.💪 My weekly average of protein has gone up 3% since February. From a 30 to 40 gram average. I'm going to add in a vegan protein powder to help with that bit. Just wanting my body to adapt over time.

Overall, it's been a lovely slow change! 3-year plan! And it's almost time to buckle down and start year 3!
  • ltomanek

Do you use a vegan protein powder in your smoothie?

Also, I don't just eat eggs. If I eat out and it's like fried rice and eggs are in it, or I have a pastry or something that's really the only way I would eat them. And I don't like whey protein powders. I tired a few before when I was a competitive swimmer and they weren't my cup of tea. Being Plant-Based now, not really ideal anyway.

I suppose I need to look up a few more chickpea and lentil recipes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

Or seitan, tofu, tempeh, soy milk/yogurt, and protein powder (hemp/soy/rice/pea, etc).

I love me some tofu or tempeh. Haven't tried seitan yet. On the to-do list. I'll definitely have to add in protein once I start getting back into resistance training. Today is day one since I have my half marathon yesterday. So just going light total body and a lot of stretching.

you should be adding the protein now. not just when you start resistance training. your body needs it just as much now to prevent lean mass/muscle loss as it does when you start training.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited June 2018
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I'm not really sure of your question here. I'd create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Get a food scale. Learn how to weigh and log accurately.
    Meal timing is irrelevant and has been debunked long ago.
    It comes down to preference. I like majority of my calories before bed. Some like them broken up throughout the day. It comes down to your individual preference.
    Plant based or vegan is just a way of eating and has nothing to do with fat loss at all.

Thanks about the food scale. Putting that on the shopping list.

I used the Harris-Benedict Calculation based on my current age, height, weight. It indicated my BMR to be 1,433kcals.

Then I did an activity factor as a multiplier. I used 1.375, since I work a desk job and don't workout regularly. This is 1-3x a week working out.
    So, 1433 x 1.375 = 1,971 kcal/day.

Finally the cutting: With 1 pound fat = 3500 kcals, then to lose that per week is only a 500 kcal deficiency. 1971 - 500 = 1,471 kcal/day

So if my math is correct, then I need to stay around 1471 kcals per day.

I currently have MFP set at 1300, but lately I have been logging between 1400-1600. Those days are usually low fat days, lots of large green smoothie bowls and filling salads or roasted veggies.

I could keep going to the macro level calculations, but I'm hoping I can just focus on nutrient dense foods and 1471 and I'll see some changes.
    It came out to...
    Protein: 168g, or 689 kcal, or 46%
    Fat: 56g, or 521 kcal, or 35%
    Carbs: 63g, or 261 kcal, or 18%

I am wondering if my current lower protein, high carb plant-based diet might also be contributing to my steady state. Y'all, I just love potatos.

I applaud you using a BMR calculator. I do the same thing. When I first started, I used the Harris-Benedict model. I find that the Mifflin - St Jeor is more accurate model (and is the modified version from 1985). I like that model a bit better than the Harris-Benedict model. Just a thought....